• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Politics Separating art from the artist, how hard is it for you?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I think a lot of these issues it comes down to awareness or lack thereof (okay, ignorance). Do you know what you're consuming? Are you sensitive to the group suffering while others profit from it? Are you only supporting problematic artists/media/news? Do you uplift your community in any way to counter it? It's impossible to keep track of everything, but the stuff you ingest a lot of or are brand loyal to should probably be looked into.

Like some other people in the thread, me having a general ambivalence for the character of Axel means I can conveniently compartmentalize and tune out the character when his scenes are playing. Plus, he is one actor in a giant, ensemble, international team of programmers, musicians, digital artists, translators etc, and, I, in no way look at my KH spending as an effort to support him, specifically. Now, maybe if a Days remake were on the horizon and they used QF (archival) audio, I might give it pause only because his role would be so magnified. Maybe I'd find a way to play the game in Japanese. But the new KHIII manga is just plain guilt-free because nobody is being hired for voice over work.

As a less serious, personal analogy: Taco Bell is garbage. I gotta have my Doritos Locos Taco Supreme every once in a blue moon though. *clap emoji* If I feel like shit after I eat there, well, I probably asked for it. I'll get that good organic stuff from my local grocery store the next day.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
It's not so black and white to the people/friends/communities/and, by extension, the human race who have been negatively affected by the artists. Instead of just washing their hands of it, it's okay for people to consider these elements and decide what to support.

Not to mention, it's not that black and white for artists themselves. Some are so closely, spiritually tethered to their craft they consider their art as an extension of themselves and don't disassociate like other artists who may just see their stuff as work.

Last edited:

WaltK

Awards
For the last few months I’ve been struggling to reconcile my love for The Simpsons with this particular story that apparently made the rounds a couple of years ago. (CW: gross out)

A part of me feels like I shouldn’t even be bothering to dwell on it because it’s seemingly been swept under the rug without any word from either side, but I can’t stop thinking about it.

Soldier

Awards
For the last few months I’ve been struggling to reconcile my love for The Simpsons with this particular story that apparently made the rounds a couple of years ago. (CW: gross out)

A part of me feels like I shouldn’t even be bothering to dwell on it because it’s seemingly been swept under the rug without any word from either side, but I can’t stop thinking about it.
Wait a minute, Groening was in Epstein's circle as well?!!? Jesu cripso that turns my opinion of him in on its head.
(And I'm a huge Simpsons fan as well).

WaltK

Awards
Wait a minute, Groening was in Epstein's circle as well?!!? Jesu cripso that turns my opinion of him in on its head.
(And I'm a huge Simpsons fan as well).
Allegedly, at least. There’s been absolutely zero word from the man himself or anybody else representing him, and it hasn’t been brought up at all since as far as I can see.

Still, it’s hard to ignore.

Last edited:

AegisXIII

Awards
Allegedly, at least. There’s been absolutely zero word from the man himself or anybody else representing him, and it hasn’t been brought up at all since as far as I can see.

Still, it’s hard ignore.
South Park > Simpsons is all I am saying.

WaltK

Awards
What would you suggest to somebody who wants to reconcile the fact that late 90s-era Rugrats was worked on by the same group of people who made that gross “storyboard jam” comic behind the scenes (one of them being Steve Ressel who was recently accused of grooming underaged girls, no less)?

Soldier

Awards
What would you suggest to somebody who wants to reconcile the fact that late 90s-era Rugrats was worked on by the same group of people who made that gross “storyboard jam” comic behind the scenes (one of them being Steve Ressel who was recently accused of grooming underaged girls, no less)?
Not everyone who worked on Rugrats was involved in that correct? and I don't knowwho Steve Ressel (in fact, I literally just googled his name and inofromation) but the guy's definitely crusty looking. Not surprised he did that.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
I fail to see why this is difficult.

Art and artist are two different things. That's it.

Well for starters the artist might be profiting from sales of said art. And secondly it feels like a way to ignore criticisms of said art.

D

Deleted member 246005

As humans we tend to fall into cult of personality. It's easier to demonize or deify a person than to truly understand them. It's something you figured how to manage just as you get older.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
This is something that's definitely challenging for me as I consume a lot of media by people are problematic. It's amazing to me just how much has come to light in four years. For me, I think as long as you do your research and are aware of what the person has done and acknowledge it then I think it's okay. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. Just as an example, the story about David Bowie and Lori Maddox was something I really struggled with. And of course, even if someone hasn't committed a heinous act, some people are just assholes. Do I separate the work from the artist? Yes I do. But again, I always try to do my research with someone as well. I feel it goes hand in hand.

Jasmine

Awards
I remember like most kids my age
(at the time I was like 10 in fifth grade) I liked harry potter
God I feel disgusted just saying that
Now you guys better not get transphobic on me
I am a girl I think of myself as a girl
My philosophy on life is that race doesn’t matter
I think we would be way better off ignoring where we come from and treat each other as equals
Now as trans girl who has deal with her fair share of transphobia and discrimination from society
I was deeply hurt with robert jowling and how “he’s” making trans people out to be serial killers on twitter
(Oh robert jowling is my insult of jk growling and I said he in quotation to mock robbie even further)
Yeah point is robert jowling fucking sucks

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I remember like most kids my age
(at the time I was like 10 in fifth grade) I liked harry potter
God I feel disgusted just saying that
Now you guys better not get transphobic on me
I am a girl I think of myself as a girl
My philosophy on life is that race doesn’t matter
I think we would be way better off ignoring where we come from and treat each other as equals
Now as trans girl who has deal with her fair share of transphobia and discrimination from society
I was deeply hurt with robert jowling and how “he’s” making trans people out to be serial killers on twitter
(Oh robert jowling is my insult of jk growling and I said he in quotation to mock robbie even further)
Yeah point is robert jowling fucking sucks
Jesus, I was recently informed that her latest book apparently deals with a woman who is being attacked online for being transphobic. Obvious self-insert.

Back