• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Can we talk about the cricket....

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Soldier

Awards
So this dawned on me one day out of the blue when thinking about kingdom hearts (as one does). It occurs to me that in most of the games that Jiminy Cricket is involved in, he's usually the chronicler of the journey, which is all well and good as I doubt aside from their signatures, Donald and Goofy aren't good at record keeping. But then you realize that he's able to learn things that NOBODY even mentions/brings up in the games, and this is BEFORE KH 3's gummiphone.

Examples of this include but are not limited to:
-Knowing Kala's relationship with Tarzan/ her feelings on the latter interacting with humans, despite the clear evidence that the former (to the party at least) is a wild animal that is incapable of conversation, and the latter is only barely grasping English by the time they arrive at Deep Jungle.

-Knowing Pain and Panic's first encounter with baby Hercules where he "clobbered them" despite the fact that they likely wouldn't divulge that information (who would openly state that they were beat up by an infant) and Hercules BARELY remembers his life as an infant.

-Having entries on Kairi and her relationship to Sora in COM's Journal, which no one bothers to bring up/ address until KH 2 when the journal is wiped clean of its contents. In fact, his entries in there should've been pretty useful to the amnesiac trio during their trip through the castle, because as far as I know Namine's not great at erasing pages long distance.

-Knowing what Namine looks like based on Sora's brief description of her during his fabricated retelling of a meteor shower on DI. On the topic of Namine, he seems well informed on what goes on in the castle outside the party's immediate vicinity.

The list goes on. I get that they needed some way to chronicle every character/story beat, but when you think of this, it kind of begs the question where that optimistic orthopteran goes when SDG aren't looking.

AR829038

Awards
Jiminy Cricket is the MoM confirmed.

In all seriousness, I think the simplest solution is like what Ernest-Panda said: The gameplay journal is not meant to be totally correlative to the in-universe journal.

However, there is a very interesting plot point surrounding the journal that makes that whole Jiminy = MoM thing a bit less of a joke.

The series has already established an implied connection between Jiminy's journal and the Book of Prophecies in Re: Coded. In fact, the connections are brought up more than once. It's always seemed very peculiar that a simple notebook made of paper could somehow be translated into these computerized data worlds. Like, even by the logic of Kingdom Hearts science, that is some extra-weird stuff! But then, the more I think about it, the less I think it's a coincidence that Maleficent happened to draw a comparison between the journal and the book.

One must also keep in mind: We don't know what happens to the Book of Prophecies post-Union X (I don't recall it being mentioned in Dark Road). Now, most of us I think assume that the Book has just been in the care of whoever rules over Scala ad Caelum, and that's probably correct. But then, what if Jiminy's journal is somehow physically related to the Book? That would explain how all this information just magically materializes in it on a regular basis without Jiminy possibly being able to know any of it. And let's be honest, as crazy and far-fetched as this theory is, it's not exactly outside the bounds of the kind of twist that Nomura would come up with.

Now obviously I'm not seriously suggesting that Jiminy freaking Cricket is the Mom. But I am suggesting that maybe there's more to the history of Jiminy's journal that we've never really considered. Where DID he get it, after all? And how is it that it happens to be the only other book in the KH universe capable of conjuring up entire worlds, albeit data worlds only accessible through a machine?

Idk. Just some food for thought. It's crazy and nonsensical, but that's just the way KH makes your brain start working.

okhi12

Awards
Jiminy has advanced psychology and mind reading powers (presumably gifted by the blue fairy). After a brief gaze at someone -or something- he's able to deduce people's motivations and personalities, their past and events that took place whithout him being present. Xehanort and Yen Sid are nothing in comparison, not even the Master of Masters comes close to Jiminy.

Some say he's always hidden in Sora's hood because his mind is so powerful that exposing himself to the world outside for more than a couple minutes would overload his brain with metaphysical information about the universe. That's why he always appears for a brief moment and goes into hiding again, to protect himself... and everyone else.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
He also knows what films/FF games everyone originates from too. Jiminy has Deadpool powers that he's been hiding.

Soldier

Awards
Jiminy has advanced psychology and mind reading powers (presumably gifted by the blue fairy). After a brief gaze at someone -or something- he's able to deduce people's motivations and personalities, their past and events that took place whithout him being present. Xehanort and Yen Sid are nothing in comparison, not even the Master of Masters comes close to Jiminy.

Some say he's always hidden in Sora's hood because his mind is so powerful that exposing himself to the world outside for more than a couple minutes would overload his brain with metaphysical information about the universe. That's why he always appears for a brief moment and goes into hiding again, to protect himself... and everyone else.
I knew Nomura was hiding him away for a reason, and it's not because that's his whole gimmick.

Awards
I'm more concerned about how he managed to sneak gummiphones onto the seven lights without being noticed along with how he even got that many.

Zetta slow

Awards
Jiminy is Remy the rat’s teacher, he secretly controls Sora throughout his adventures by hiding and pulling on Sora’s spiky hair. This is why Xehanort is bald. Gods cower in fear at the name of Jiminy Cricket.

disney233

Awards
WHAT I WANNA KNOW IS, HOW IN GOD'S NAME WAS HE EVEN ABLE TO JUST...TAG ALONG WITH SORA IN THE DIVE INTO THE HEART SECTION OF 3?? DOES THAT MEAN JIMINY WAS WITH HIM IN THE FINAL WORLD?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
WHAT I WANNA KNOW IS, HOW IN GOD'S NAME WAS HE EVEN ABLE TO JUST...TAG ALONG WITH SORA IN THE DIVE INTO THE HEART SECTION OF 3?? DOES THAT MEAN JIMINY WAS WITH HIM IN THE FINAL WORLD?
Most likely. He probably died along with Sora and had to be put back together at the same time as him, lol

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
The thing that bothered me the most about Jiminy throughout the series was honestly just how he kind of felt like he disappeared for so much of the rest of the journey.

I know he isn't as important as Sora, Donald, and Goofy, but at least in KH1 he popped up in cutscenes every now and then. And then he gets his most screentime in Chain of Memories, even being with Sora and speaking with him when everybody is split up. But after that? Like, is he even in any KH2 cutscenes aside from his introduction and then the credits? I feel like after Chain of Memories his character just gets the briefest of appearances despite being with the party for the whole journey. I don't know, it's just weird to me.

Last edited:

disney233

Awards
The thing that bothered me the most about Jiminy throughout the series was honestly just how he kind of felt like he disappeared for so much of the rest of the journey.

I know he isn't as important as Sora, Donald, and Goofy, but at least in KH1 he popped up in cutscenes every now and then. And then he gets his most screentime in Chain of Memories, even being with Sora and speaking with him when everybody is split up. But after that? Like, is he even in any KH2 cutscenes aside from his introduction and then the credits? I feel like after Chain of Memories his character just gets the briefest of appearances despite being with the party for the whole journey. I don't know, it's just weird to me.
This I can agree with, it's almost like he's basically an afterthought. Because NO. Not a SINGLE moment with Jiminy occurred in KH2 aside from the intro. This could also literally be said about 1. He only showed up in the beginning and, OBVIOUSLY the Pinocchio storyline, and that's it. We never even see what he looks like in worlds that involve SDG transformations.

On the bright side, the manga did remedy Jiminy's inclusion of the KH2 story...by giving us THIS GODSCEND MATCHUP.
tumblr_inline_p97p9g449k1qk8c7k_500 (2).png

okhi12

Awards
This I can agree with, it's almost like he's basically an afterthought. Because NO. Not a SINGLE moment with Jiminy occurred in KH2 aside from the intro. This could also literally be said about 1. He only showed up in the beginning and, OBVIOUSLY the Pinocchio storyline, and that's it. We never even see what he looks like in worlds that involve SDG transformations.

On the bright side, the manga did remedy Jiminy's inclusion of the KH2 story...by giving us THIS GODSCEND MATCHUP.
View attachment 14228
Now I'm curious... what is he saying to Luxord?

Soldier

Awards
Now I'm curious... what is he saying to Luxord?
He's chastising Luxord for cheating, as he battled Sora alongside Saix while playing a game where if Sora picks the right card, he'd set his friends free to help him. Unknown to Sora, he rigged the game by putting Sora's friends in his back pocket and put nothing but bomb and heartless cards in the deck.

WaltK

Awards
View attachment 14228
God bless Shiro Amano. Seriously, why can’t he be the writer of the games? Have Nomura come up with the overall scenario and direction, with Amano actually writing the scripts.

Barrett

Awards
So like, this obviously didn't happen because he's with Yen Sid in the end credits, but it'd be so funny if Sora woke up in Quadratum thinking he's alone, only to find Jiminy Cricket in his pocket.

Soldier

Awards
He will be the true final boss of the series
Considering how hard it would be to hit him when he's barely 4 cm tall, he'd easily take the slot for smallest enemy fought from both the shadow and experiment 221 (Unless you count what appears in the bizarre room in Wonderland as the smallest enemies).

Reactions: Max

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Considering how hard it would be to hit him when he's barely 4 cm tall, he'd easily take the slot for smallest enemy fought from both the shadow and experiment 221 (Unless you count what appears in the bizarre room in Wonderland as the smallest enemies).
Jiminy fills the role for KH that Jar Jar fills in that Star Wars fan theory where he was pulling the strings the whole time. Jiminy is the REAL Master of Masters.

Soldier

Awards
Jiminy fills the role for KH that Jar Jar fills in that Star Wars fan theory where he was pulling the strings the whole time. Jiminy is the REAL Master of Masters.
Ah yes, Jar Jar Binks, my favorite Star Wars character.

• Haha
Reactions: Max
Back