• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What would you like to see from a Coded remake?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zackarix

Awards
When remaking a KH game is discussed it's usually with Days in mind, and for understandable reasons. But there's another KH game that isn't playable on modern consoles: Coded. Like Day it has been reduced to a cutscene movie, and I'd argue that such a fate is harder on Coded because the gameplay is its selling point over the story.

So let's say that they did decide to remake Coded again. What would you like to see from it? Ideally what would you like to see added or changed?

And please no "they shouldn't bother" that's not what this thread is for.

okhi12

Awards
They shouldn't bother

But if they do, they should delve into Maleficent's interest in the Journal/Datascape because she thought it was related to the Book of Prophecies.

That plot point was included in a new cutscene in the movie version of Re:Coded, and in Dream Drop Distance (released before 2.5 but taking place after Coded) Maleficent was still interested in stealing the world's data contained within the Journal.

Then in KH3 she suddenly dropped that ambition (did she ever mention anything about it again?) and became obsessed with the Black Box instead.

So what was the deal with Jiminy's Journal in the end? We didn't get a proper explanation. I get the world's data it contains is valuable and can be used for evil purposes, but does it actually have anything to do with the Book of Prophecies? Is it possible to summon things from the journal into the real world?

Zackarix

Awards
If they were to do a full console remake, I would like it if they included the KH1 worlds that were skipped in the DS version.
In theory this could be neat, but in practice it would massively expand the scope of the remake, require coming up with new world gimmicks, and it would give the people who hate on Coded for being another KH1 retread more ammo.
But if they do, they should delve into Maleficent's interest in the Journal/Datascape because she thought it was related to the Book of Prophecies.

That plot point was included in a new cutscene in the movie version of Re:Coded, and in Dream Drop Distance (released before 2.5 but taking place after Coded) Maleficent was still interested in stealing the world's data contained within the Journal.

Then in KH3 she suddenly dropped that ambition (did she ever mention anything about it again?) and became obsessed with the Black Box instead.
Inconsistent motivations? In my Kingdom Hearts? It's more likely than you think. But an explanation for this change in goals would be welcome.

One thing I'd like to see (and I think wouldn't take too many resources to implement) would be to include more features from KH Mobile, mostly the mini-games. They could also use assets from FF Airborne Brigade to expand the avatar menu.

okhi12

Awards
Inconsistent motivations? In my Kingdom Hearts? It's more likely than you think.
Oh, it's totally what I think. But yeah, a little explanation would make it more bearable. Something as simple as an extended cutscene in which Maleficent tells Pete finding the Black Box is her actual goal but she has no clues about how to find it, so she wants the Journal's data which she suspects may be connected to the Book of Prophecies, which contains events of the future and could lead her to the Box. That way her goals are related and her sudden change in motivations would be less jarring.
One thing I'd like to see (and I think wouldn't take too many resources to implement) would be to include more features from KH Mobile, mostly the mini-games. They could also use assets from FF Airborne Brigade to expand the avatar menu.
Good idea. I never played the KH mobile minigames, and also I never completed that multiplayer thing in Re:Coded with the KH mobile avatars because I had no idea how it worked and none of my friends had the game. I'd like a revamped version of it or new side content recycling the same KH mobile stuff as collectibles.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
I would love to see a Data Kairi, please and thank you.

Also... wasn't there a Data Roxas battle or something (outside of the main story)? I may be remembering wrong. Perhaps this whole thing is a fever dream, and if it is, feel free to ignore all of this. But I remember trying to fight that. But, like... you had to beat other things before it. And I think it was suggested you do multi-player to do this (again, I may be remembering all of this wrong). But I had no friends who had Re:Coded, so I think the way around that was to leave your game in Sleep Mode or something, and then try it. But then that didn't work for me. So if any of this was for real or not, then an easier way to access such battles would be nice. LOL

I was going to say something about Kingdom Hearts Mobile, but you guys beat me to the punch:)

I'd say make the Eliminators less OP, but I guess that's part of their appeal... even though I kind of have PTSD from them, I swear.

If they ever did to make Re:Coded, I'd say it would be cool if they could do something where, like, if you have both it and KHIII on your PS5 or whatever, you can then get something Re:Coded related in KHIII--like Data Sora's one Keyblade--because I'm kind of sad they didn't do more with Re:Coded in KHIII. But that would just tick people off, so they probably shouldn't.

okhi12

Awards
Also... wasn't there a Data Roxas battle or something (outside of the main story)? I may be remembering wrong. Perhaps this whole thing is a fever dream, and if it is, feel free to ignore all of this. But I remember trying to fight that. But, like... you had to beat other things before it. And I think it was suggested you do multi-player to do this (again, I may be remembering all of this wrong). But I had no friends who had Re:Coded, so I think the way around that was to leave your game in Sleep Mode or something, and then try it. But then that didn't work for me. So if any of this was for real or not, then an easier way to access such battles would be nice. LOL
I think you mean the level 80 system sector in Hollow Bastion which is like a postgame dungeon. It has many floors with different challenges and the last floor is a fight against a bugged version of Roxas, very similar to his final boss battle but much harder. He can be considered a superboss because you need to complete a long ''dungeon'' to get to him and he's rather difficult to defeat, although the battle can be cheesed by using certain commands.

It didn't require multiplayer or sleep mode in any way, though. I guess you must be remembering that from some other game... maybe Bravely Default and Bravely Second?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
It already got a remake.

I guess more of the KH1 worlds & more gameplay genre shifts. Which would require changing the keyblade's destruction from Agrabah to Neverland.

Also confirm that Data Sora in Limit Cut is the same as in Coded.

Chie

Awards
They should've just ported Days and re:Coded to HD like BBS and that's it.

Game dev is so inconvenienced by industry stuff now that if we're going to talk about it realistically, we've long missed the chance for these things to happen, so personally that's why I'd reply "they shouldn't bother" in most situations; everyone wants ports and remakes of everything without thinking about whether the devs would actually have time to make anything else. That's just realistically speaking though, in an ideal world with infinite time I would've loved to be able to play these on PS3 somehow.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
If they were to do a full console remake, I would like it if they included the KH1 worlds that were skipped in the DS version.
This is really the only thing I can think of... Or perhaps the Castle Oblivion section of the game could include different worlds from KH1 than the ones used in the first segment. Say, the first segment that's more about KH1's story includes Agrabah, Wonderland, the Coliseum, and Traverse Town, but the Castle Oblivion section could include Atlantica, Monstro, Halloween Town, and Neverland.

D

Deleted member 246005

When remaking a KH game is discussed it's usually with Days in mind, and for understandable reasons. But there's another KH game that isn't playable on modern consoles: Coded. Like Day it has been reduced to a cutscene movie, and I'd argue that such a fate is harder on Coded because the gameplay is its selling point over the story.

So let's say that they did decide to remake Coded again. What would you like to see from it? Ideally what would you like to see added or changed?

I'd do a sequel instead. Just have Data Sora meet Tron and Wreck-it-Ralph.

Or use the KH1 worlds as a training simulation for Kairi.

Or have Ienzo investigate a disturbance in the data realm.

The Sora in KH1 rehash is unappealing to me. I'd downplay it and lean into the Data realm more. The 3 above are a few pitches.

I'm fine if the rumored Days2 also incorporated the Data Realm.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 246005

I'm sorry, what?
I heard a rumor about a spinoff with the twilight town gang. It's just fan wishful thinking but I thought it was common enough to be referenced.

My post was basically the Twilight town gang should explore the data realm.

Zackarix

Awards
This is really the only thing I can think of... Or perhaps the Castle Oblivion section of the game could include different worlds from KH1 than the ones used in the first segment. Say, the first segment that's more about KH1's story includes Agrabah, Wonderland, the Coliseum, and Traverse Town, but the Castle Oblivion section could include Atlantica, Monstro, Halloween Town, and Neverland.
That could actually make adding the rest of KH1's worlds work. Just adding a bunch of worlds would seriously damage the pacing of an already weirdly paced story, but replacing the revisits might be doable.
I'd do a sequel instead. Just have Data Sora meet Tron and Wreck-it-Ralph.

Or use the KH1 worlds as a training simulation for Kairi.

Or have Ienzo investigate a disturbance in the data realm.

The Sora in KH1 rehash is unappealing to me. I'd downplay it and lean into the Data realm more. The 3 above are a few pitches.

I'm fine if the rumored Days2 also incorporated the Data Realm.
At this point you're saying "they shouldn't bother" without actually saying it. The Coded cinematic is an adequate, if not very interesting summary of the story. The point of a remake would be to allow fans who don't own a DS to experience the gameplay. Trying to merge Coded 2 with the concepts for any other future games just seems like a reach.

D

Deleted member 246005

That could actually make adding the rest of KH1's worlds work. Just adding a bunch of worlds would seriously damage the pacing of an already weirdly paced story, but replacing the revisits might be doable.

At this point you're saying "they shouldn't bother" without actually saying it. The Coded cinematic is an adequate, if not very interesting summary of the story. The point of a remake would be to allow fans who don't own a DS to experience the gameplay. Trying to merge Coded 2 with the concepts for any other future games just seems like a reach.
I disagree as I see it as a compromise. I don't think Coded or any of the other Xehanort saga games should get a remake. I rather move forward with the next Saga. Plus I think a sequel is a better way to fix certain problems like Xion. She needs a fresh start free of the poorly handled retcons and characterization of Days.

What I'm proposing is how a sequel works. It's a similar premise with a twist.

Last edited by a moderator:

palizinhas

Awards
Maybe the option to bring other characters in the Olympus section re-dos, since the added levels means it's not a complete retread anyway.

Back