• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I grew to despise 358/2 days over time

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
when i was in HS, i played this game a lot. I enjoyed the visuals, the fact that you played as new characters, customization in the form of the panel system. But as i grew older, i found it really boring. Its basically a heavily watered down version of KH1 and plays even worse than Threads of Fate in PS1. The combos are too slow and unmodifiable and at the same time, enemies seem to have too much health. Magic is extremely limited since there is no MP and recharging is not a thing in this game. And some of these would be due to hardware limiations which is understandable but even then, its still not fun.

But my biggest problem was the mission structure. I have read some explanations for it and they are understandable but that doesnt mean its gonna be enjoyable to me as a player. I always felt limited, in a sense that the worlds had this pump and dump mentality, go in, say heartless, RTC. I dont mind the concept of missions but i would prefer it if there was freedom in visitting worlds and you chose what mission you would do once you were there. Kinda like FF13 where where you are on the overworld and choose which mission to initiate. And at the same time, you could explore and find, chests, sigils etc.

The story is also boring for the most part and its really overrated. Its the same cutscene for 80% of the game, if they did anything else besides that then i would like it, but they dont. The trio's friendship is more repetitive than the missions. There are some very good parts in it, like Xion's decisions, Riku's involvement, Xemnas' plan but arent good enought to redeem the rest of the story. I dont think this story was better than KH1's or KH2's and people seem to say it was out of hipsterism.

magic713

Awards
I was pretty disappointed with the story. Maybe I was expecting too much of it. I was thinking that we would see more of the inner workings of the Organization. Seeing what other members contributed to the group, and more time seeing them interact with one another, including the Castle Oblivion crew. But the CO team was shipped off early in the game and it mostly just focused on trio, with not nearly as much time on seeing the others interact.

D

Deleted member 246005

It's a waste of a cool idea and pretty tediuos. I didn't need a Roxas prequel. I would've preferred Riku or Sora traveling through the worlds, investigating who Xion is and why no one remembers her.

Oh well.

Awards
I was pretty disappointed with the story. Maybe I was expecting too much of it. I was thinking that we would see more of the inner workings of the Organization. Seeing what other members contributed to the group, and more time seeing them interact with one another, including the Castle Oblivion crew. But the CO team was shipped off early in the game and it mostly just focused on trio, with not nearly as much time on seeing the others interact.

Maybe part of it was due to hardware limitations so they threw all the weight on the seas salt trio? If they had more space they could perhaps give more screen time to other members?

Awards
It's a waste of a cool idea and pretty tediuos. I didn't need a Roxas prequel. I would've preferred Riku or Sora traveling through the worlds, investigating who Xion is and why no one remembers her.

you know, when i first saw this game in like 2007, i was super hyped about it cause the idea of playing as roxas with org members was really cool but when i got to play it i was so let down. not only was the gameplay slow on its own they also made the enemies really annoying to deal with. at times it feels like you are fighting heartless with the wooden sword lol

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I don't even blame the hardware for Days' shortcomings. With the same system and the same dev team we got RE:Coded, which is vastly more fun. It had BBS' command deck even!

I always felt that Crisis Core was a better Days than Days was. They got a lot in common:

-Prequel starring an echo fighter of the main game's star.
-Who is a naive rookie working for an evil organization.
-And their day job is presented as a long list of missions.
-The story is told over astretch of time, with multiple time skips.
-And the big bossfight at the end is a blatant fanfic OC awkwardly hamfisted into established continuity that doesn't completely make sense.
-Also the combat in both is too basic for their own good.

So what exactly made CC different (and better) than Days? The missions were optional! CC's story mode was chapter based and paced kinda like KH worlds. Why couldn't Days do that?

Plus more Disney bosses besides Pete and the treat or trickers would've been nice too. How did we not get Gaston in this game?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Maybe part of it was due to hardware limitations so they threw all the weight on the seas salt trio? If they had more space they could perhaps give more screen time to other members?
Alas, their decision to focus purely on the trio had nothing to do with the hardware. It's simply just the direction they chose to take the story.

Awards
With the same system and the same dev team we got RE:Coded, which is vastly more fun. It had BBS' command deck even!

Maybe they learnt over the years?

I always felt that Crisis Core was a better Days than Days was.

Crisis Core was fantastic because it was an FF title with a different gameplay kinda like Tactics was

o what exactly made CC different (and better) than Days? The missions were optional! CC's story mode was chapter based and paced kinda like KH worlds. Why couldn't Days do that?

Plus more Disney bosses besides Pete and the treat or trickers would've been nice too. How did we not get Gaston in this game?

Yep thats one of the points i made in thread. Days could still have proper worlds and you could pick up missions while there. It would be too hard to introduce Gaston considering the developers have a habit of constantly reusing the same characters and not adding new ones

PikaPal

Awards
I do enjoy the story a lot but god almighty this game has some of the worst and most infuriating bosses in the series. There is no saving Leechgrave who's just irritating to deal with or Ruler of the Skies where you have to fly around willy nilly to get maybe one or two hits on it cause it never freaking stops moving or the Dustflier who has so much damn HP and somehow has the ability to hit you like a damn truck meaning there's no time for you to stay on the ground for most of the time.

Also I know the Organization I think are meant to stay away from the Disney folk so their plans aren't all messed up but their worlds may as well be deserted with how pathetic the Disney representation is in this one.

Awards
There is no saving Leechgrave who's just irritating to deal with or Ruler of the Skies where you have to fly around willy nilly to get maybe one or two hits on it cause it never freaking stops moving or the Dustflier who has so much damn HP and somehow has the ability to hit you like a damn truck meaning there's no time for you to stay on the ground for most of the time.

why did it make it like that? i recall dustflier took me around 20 mins or smth

magic713

Awards
Yeah, I feel like that was the downside of many games sentenced to being handheld games. The hardware severely limited the production opportunities of the studio.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I loved the story. I will admit that I expected to see more of the inner workings of the Organization, but I think it did a really good job to explain Roxas' anger towards the Organization. I'm guessing Nomura didn't expect Saix/Axel to become bigger players in the series later on, because I feel like they should have been building Saix's "jealousy"/"envy" in Days.

It would be cool to get a Days film with some new scenes added in.

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
The manga adaption of Days was very cute and filled in exactly what I had been wishing Days had been. I have no issues with Xion and her inclusion in the story, but like others I was very disappointed that more of the game wasn't spent fleshing out the "villains" as a whole, making them all likeable in their own way or just giving us more to really understand about them. It would've been nice to have them give little clues about their pasts or the types of people they were before, or even just see them hang out together and do silly things.

These details could have paired really well with increasing the drama of kh2 or even affected kh3 when some of them return. Instead half the group just up and leaves right after the tutorial and the other ones just say a few lines here and there and fade fairly innocuously into the background. Xigbar is probably the only other one we learned anything significant about.

That being said, Days Roxas is my favorite Roxas. I think the script is actually pretty decent at times and does a fair job of showing more realistic dialogue compared to most of the other games which tends to depict friendship in a fairly shallow way. Unfortunately that is relegated to a few particular scenes between RAX only and the other org members are left in the shallow end. Honestly I think the script being the way it is is a big reason why RAX is so popular-- a lot of people could probably relate to the characters in a more realistic way. Everyone has lived through obnoxious teachers/bosses/parents who give you stupid dumb assignments that suck and don't really tell you why you are doing what you are doing so you just look forward to hanging out with your friends. Then when you do get to chill with them you just pick some weird topic to chat about like your sleep habits or weird people you bumped into during your day. And honestly that is like...70% of the game right there.

I think far fewer people can relate on a personal level to some of the other trios because we never really got to see them living their lives somewhat normally.

That being said from a game perspective it really dragged at times, the boss fights were horrid and a lot of the gameplay in general was pretty janky. Level up system was kind of cool, I like that they tried something different.

My general feeling of it is that they honestly should have committed to making the whole thing a visual novel instead of trying to force it to be an action rpg. That's basically what it ended up being now since it seems they have no interest in remastering the actual game portion and just made it into a cutscene hell. I really think changing the genre would have done the story massive favors and allowed the other characters some spotlight.

Awards
The manga adaption of Days was very cute and filled in exactly what I had been wishing Days had been. I have no issues with Xion and her inclusion in the story, but like others I was very disappointed that more of the game wasn't spent fleshing out the "villains" as a whole, making them all likeable in their own way or just giving us more to really understand about them. It would've been nice to have them give little clues about their pasts or the types of people they were before, or even just see them hang out together and do silly things.

the manga ads sooooo much flavor to the story. it makes it feel like roxas and xion are school kids and their missions are their classes. it also shows interactions between the other organization members, how org 13 functions on the inside. its definately one of the more wholesome manga adaptions imo. xion is also adorable there

That being said, Days Roxas is my favorite Roxas. I think the script is actually pretty decent at times and does a fair job of showing more realistic dialogue compared to most of the other games which tends to depict friendship in a fairly shallow way. Unfortunately that is relegated to a few particular scenes between RAX only and the other org members are left in the shallow end. Honestly I think the script being the way it is is a big reason why RAX is so popular-- a lot of people could probably relate to the characters in a more realistic way. Everyone has lived through obnoxious teachers/bosses/parents who give you stupid dumb assignments that suck and don't really tell you why you are doing what you are doing so you just look forward to hanging out with your friends. Then when you do get to chill with them you just pick some weird topic to chat about like your sleep habits or weird people you bumped into during your day. And honestly that is like...70% of the game right there.

one thing that days does well is it shows why Roxas is so powerful. he was training every day on different types of missions sometimes alongside experienced memebers like larxene or xigbar. he is one of the worthiest keyblade wielders imo, the fact that not only he was successful but aso developed a strong sense of self having his own motives is really admirable. a lot of people call him edgy emo kid but even if he is, he is still a strong person comapred to tohers who were dragged along someone else's plans and ambitions.

That being said from a game perspective it really dragged at times, the boss fights were horrid and a lot of the gameplay in general was pretty janky. Level up system was kind of cool, I like that they tried something different.

you know, if bosses had less health it wouldnt be that bad. sure the gameplay wouldnt be as deep as other games but fights would end quicker and it would be ess frustrating

My general feeling of it is that they honestly should have committed to making the whole thing a visual novel instead of trying to force it to be an action rpg.

that could be said about lots of KH games honestly. i was sooo stoked for days back in 2007. you cant imagine 12 yo me seeing a KH for DS. the concept was kinda cool and i liked it back in HS but i grew out of it really fast and never went back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back