• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Spoilers ► Don Bluth worlds…?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sonofjafar

Awards
For those out of the loop of animation history, Don Bluth was an animator at Disney during the dark age that left to form his own studio where he aimed to make films that matched the quality of the Disney films of the 40s and actually succeeded. As of the Fox buyout, some of his films have ended up under Disney’s IP list. Only problem I see now is that his most famous work was not included in that list but I’m sure Disney could work something out

AR829038

Awards
The biggest problem here is I doubt that Don Bluth would allow any of his works to be featured within a Disney property. I don't know the man's opinions very well, but he was once Disney's greatest competitor, and I don't know if he would like the idea of his properties being subsumed into the behemoth that his rival has become. Of course, I have no idea what the legalities of the situation are, or if Bluth himself even owns the copyright to his movies.
One thing I think is problematic is the fact that just because Disney has bought an IP, doesn't mean they have totally free reign to use it however they want. This is the reason why it was so much more of a hurdle to get Pixar worlds in KH than the regular Disney properties, and I imagine it would be exponentially harder for Star Wars, Marvel, and other more distantly related properties. I think there's a greater barrier to IPs that originated as non-Disney properties, particularly specific movies and whatnot.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I would adore worlds for The Land Before Time and Thumbelina. TBH, the Don Bluth worlds would tie into KH better than PIXAR do, considering Don Bluth films were chasing the same feeling as Disney films. PIXAR, on the other hand, feel nothing like most Disney films.

Sonofjafar

Awards
I would adore worlds for The Land Before Time and Thumbelina. TBH, the Don Bluth worlds would tie into KH better than PIXAR do, considering Don Bluth films were chasing the same feeling as Disney films. PIXAR, on the other hand, feel nothing like most Disney films.
I had this idea that if Sora went to a world for An American Tail, he would see himself as Fievel when he is reunited with his family. Also I couldn’t agree more on the Bluth/Pixar comparison

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The biggest problem here is I doubt that Don Bluth would allow any of his works to be featured within a Disney property. I don't know the man's opinions very well, but he was once Disney's greatest competitor, and I don't know if he would like the idea of his properties being subsumed into the behemoth that his rival has become. Of course, I have no idea what the legalities of the situation are, or if Bluth himself even owns the copyright to his movies.
Considering how many shitty sequels of his films got made without his consent, I feel that doesn't matter much. Basically the only continuations of his work that he made himself were the Bartok spinoff for Anastasia and the Dragon's Lair sequel. Everything else from Fievel goes West, All Dogs go to Heaven 2, NIMH 2, EVERY Land Before Time past the first, and all tv show spinoffs there of were studio mandates done without him.

Last edited:

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards
you know. i was wondering when someone was gonna mention don bluth's work. i know he worked on Robin Hood, which has been sitting in my KH world wishlist since before KH2 even came out. legal issues and otherwise aside, there are a few gems that could be used in Kingdom Hearts. if this were a just universe that is, only two i know of could work; All Dogs Go To Heaven and the Secret of NIMH. though personally i think the latter fits more into the series themes around the Heart. To quote Nicodemus, 'Courage of the Heart is very rare...the Stone has power when its there.'

Sonofjafar

Awards
you know. i was wondering when someone was gonna mention don bluth's work. i know he worked on Robin Hood, which has been sitting in my KH world wishlist since before KH2 even came out. legal issues and otherwise aside, there are a few gems that could be used in Kingdom Hearts. if this were a just universe that is, only two i know of could work; All Dogs Go To Heaven and the Secret of NIMH. though personally i think the latter fits more into the series themes around the Heart. To quote Nicodemus, 'Courage of the Heart is very rare...the Stone has power when its there.'
Very good argument for Secret of NIMH. An American Tail’s ending with Kingdom Hearts music would definitely get some gamer tears tho

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards
Very good argument for Secret of NIMH. An American Tail’s ending with Kingdom Hearts music would definitely get some gamer tears tho
i mean heck i got a boss battle in mind with the movie's villain, Jenner, and a heartless formed from his darkness. it would've been one of my best boss fights.

also i agree with An American Tail’s ending with Kingdom Hearts music. there wouldn't be a dry eye after that one.

Zackarix

Awards
Questions of creator respect aside, a huge problem here would be the fact that the rights for Bluth's films are scattered around. So KH might be able to use Anastasia and the rest of the Fox era as freely as anything else from that acquisition, but stuff like The Land Before Time is owned by Universal and thus not an option.

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards
Questions of creator respect aside, a huge problem here would be the fact that the rights for Bluth's films are scattered around. So KH might be able to use Anastasia and the rest of the Fox era as freely as anything else from that acquisition, but stuff like The Land Before Time is owned by Universal and thus not an option.
i did some research and the only Bluth's films done by Fox were Anastasia, its prequel Bartok the Magnificent and Titan A.E.

yeah, not that many options to go with unless they used some legal magic to get the others.

Sonofjafar

Awards
i did some research and the only Bluth's films done by Fox were Anastasia, its prequel Bartok the Magnificent and Titan A.E.

yeah, not that many options to go with unless they used some legal magic to get the others.
True. I think Thumbelina showed up in a Disney + ad once

Note: I don’t actually want that one. Just giving some more options

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards
There is one Bluth work that Disney has always owned from the get go… but I doubt KH would want to make a world out of the birth of Jesus.
i know the one you're talking about, but i don't think that one would work story wise.

and thus is a good example why one can't simply put just about anything into a Kingdom Hearts game.

PikaPal

Awards
It's kinda funny to think that Disney owns Thumbelina now considering the film was originally released by Warner Bros (Disney's rivals) before it got passed onto Fox. In fact, MGM were the ones who were going to release it first before Warner stepped up.

Soldier

Awards
I think you're all forgetting how good some of the the bad movies are. Personally I'd love to see The Land before Time represented in Kingdom Hearts, more specifically Land before time XIII: The wisdom of friends. It has... quite the negative reception, but I think it'd fit the series as the 13th movie. After all, the Xehanort saga isn't done as Nomura STILL brings it back up.

Back