• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KH 20th anniversary event Q&A masterpost

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
This still confuses me. Is Lea's keyblade supposed to be really broken? Xemnas broke it but Lea could summon it again shortly after in that scene when everyone use their keyblades to contain Kingdom Hearts while Sora goes through Xehanort's portal. Lea also wields it in the aerial fight against the replicas in ReMind. These events happened after Xemnas broke it and the keyblade looked intact. Am I missing something?
Quoting you again because we've gotten some more impressions with added context :)

— In KH3, Xemnas breaks Lea's Keyblade and says "Your Keyblade is no more," yet Lea continues to use it regardless.
Nomura: The nuance is that even if Lea summons his Keyblade again and insists on fighting Xemnas with it, he'll just continue to break it. It's impossible for Xemnas to get rid of it for good.

There are some other stuff too, like a sales update for KH3 (6.7 million as of September 2021). I'm still making edits so y'all just peruse at your leisure.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
When the team sent Nomura the video of the forest, he thought, "Why are you sending me live-action footage?"
This is hilarious. Just goes to show how vast graphic improvements can start to look closely to real life

Updated the OP with a ton of info. I think that's pretty much it for the Q&A.
Thanks for all the hard work

ZeVaine

Awards
Damn... regarding some the updates to front post:

I was hoping the "two scalas" thing was just because there was a different section of the same scala world... but yeah, I guess there really is two different scala worlds? It was pretty well hinted based on how different they look, but goddamn... can't just be scala at an earlier point in time huh, would be too easy.

Makes me wonder if the real Scala had been abandoned/lost a while before the start of Dark Road, and the Scala that Young Xehanort is in is some kind of cruel imitation... Odin is already suspicious, and all the keyblade wielders seem to be dying/losing to darkness pretty quick. Interesting that this would mean Xehanort came from old/real scala, and then is hidden away, and then comes to new/fake scala... I am pretty hyped to finally get this story explained. (Or explained-ish).

LoneFox

Awards
I was hoping the "two scalas" thing was just because there was a different section of the same scala world... but yeah, I guess there really is two different scala worlds? It was pretty well hinted based on how different they look, but goddamn... can't just be scala at an earlier point in time huh, would be too easy.
They are probably just the different islands. At least I hope so...

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Was torn between proceeding with Verum Rex or KH4 for the next title, but decided on KH4 because it'd be difficult to develop two big console games at the same time, and there were many fans who were worried about Sora.
Good to know a Verum Rex game isn’t completely off the table. In fact, I’d be perfectly fine with this being the “side game” as opposed to having sub-games between number-titled installments.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Why did Master Xehanort take over Terra when he was old and not when he was young?
Nomura: Because he didn't have the power to do when he was younger. On the topic of Xehanort, the mysteries surrounding him will be revealed in the final chapter of DR. You'll also find out why Xehanort's hair became the way it did.

34G6h8bC2z9nJh16DR4Wb70BTMc=.gif

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I wish Roxas and Xion had been retired. Not so much being dead but like making their stories pretty final. A fresh start without their past memories. A chance to live a normal life in Twilight Town. No more Keyblades for them. Something.

But like Sign has said, now we have to worry about them competing for screen time with other characters.

I also feel the same way about TAV, actually, but to a lesser degree in that I think they should be transitioned to support. And I LOVE TAV. I just feel like if the series isn't going to have as many spin-off titles as it did in the past, then the developers need to be willing to let these characters rest and tie off their storylines or be willing to minimize their roles.

Roxas and Xion would have been so easy to close out. Lea would have too if they didn't decide to do the Subject X plot. And in the end it wasn't even worth it because Fujiwara has passed and QF is a piece of shit.

I hope with this new saga, Nomura is finally prepared to let some characters rest. Or give us some spin-off games.
My worry with spin-off games is that characters are "trapped" in their groups. TAV will always be together and Lea/Roxas/Xion (and now Isa) will always be together. If they do spin-off games or even storylines shown in KH4, I want to see a mix of characters... mostly because I want Roxas and Xion to do their own thing or hang out with other people (and move away from Lea).

I think it's easy to move characters into supporting roles. I mean Yen Sid sat down and did nothing for like 10 years, knowing full well all hell was breaking loose. They can have Terra be busy protecting the Land of Departure. Xion and Roxas can CHOOSE to be normal people and give up the keyblade life - which I think would be a great way to send them off. Their entire lives they had to make choices that hurt themselves or ones they love and FINALLY they can choose to live life the way they want. It would be great to see Sora and the others accept their retirement and leave them in peace in Twilight Town. Of course, they can have a surprise cameo later in the series when Sora needs backup.

Unfortunately, we're going to get more Lea/Isa (or maybe they can black box this storyline). I think the only characters in the cast that should be used going forward are: Sora, Riku, Kairi, Aqua, Ven, Namine, Mickey, Donald and Goofy. I would replace Ienzo with Namine as the exposition mouthpiece. Aqua can act as the most experienced and leader of them all, Riku can act as her second in command. This creates conflict between Sora and Ven - because Sora may choose to listen to Riku instead of Aqua and Ven chooses Aqua over Sora/Riku. Mickey can do his vanishing act until we need him again to reveal some grand secret. Kairi can be the voice of reason amongst the conflicting Sora/Ven - maybe create even more drama if Kairi sides with Ven instead of Sora.

EDIT: Oh and I purposefully wrote out Roxas and Xion because they are visually clones of Ven and Kairi. It just makes sense to get rid of the clones... even though I love them more than Ven or Kairi.

MoonRabbit

Awards
— How did Isa receive the scar on his forehead? Why is it a Recusant's Sigil?

Nomura
: Good question. There's a story with Lea and Isa and the girl they were trying to rescue. Stay tuned for the future.

This was one of my questions, so I'm glad Nomura-senpai liked it, LOL. I am pleasantly surprised that we are finally going to learn how Isa got the scar. After the Dark Seeker Saga ended, I didn’t think stuff like Lea and Isa's backstory or the Recusant's Sigil would be touched on in any meaningful way. I was honestly very disappointed by that. Without a dark and tragic backstory, Lea and Isa just feel so...flat and incomplete as characters.

It’s not too late to make Isa and Lea test subjects. There was a lot of potential for that idea, and I still think it would have been the most interesting route to take. The experiments on Subject X had to do with memory, but the experiments on the darkness of the heart and mind control are still fair game. Ever since vanilla KH2, I had the impression that that Axel was a former test subject. And BBS and Days convinced me that Isa was one, too. My intuition tells me that Nomura's original idea was to make them both former test subjects, but that backstory was never depicted due to BBSV2 being cancelled. Now is the chance to make things right, Nomura.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, though, and risk being disappointed again. Given how bad the story has been lately, Lea and Isa's backstory will probably be really stupid. Like, Isa and Lea began to suspect that maybe "X" never really existed. Isa gave himself the scar to remember her. And Lea couldn't stop crying after she vanished, and he gave himself the tear marks. 🤮

Mojo

Awards
My worry with spin-off games is that characters are "trapped" in their groups. TAV will always be together and Lea/Roxas/Xion (and now Isa) will always be together. If they do spin-off games or even storylines shown in KH4, I want to see a mix of characters... mostly because I want Roxas and Xion to do their own thing or hang out with other people (and move away from Lea).

I think it's easy to move characters into supporting roles. I mean Yen Sid sat down and did nothing for like 10 years, knowing full well all hell was breaking loose. They can have Terra be busy protecting the Land of Departure. Xion and Roxas can CHOOSE to be normal people and give up the keyblade life - which I think would be a great way to send them off. Their entire lives they had to make choices that hurt themselves or ones they love and FINALLY they can choose to live life the way they want. It would be great to see Sora and the others accept their retirement and leave them in peace in Twilight Town. Of course, they can have a surprise cameo later in the series when Sora needs backup.

Unfortunately, we're going to get more Lea/Isa (or maybe they can black box this storyline). I think the only characters in the cast that should be used going forward are: Sora, Riku, Kairi, Aqua, Ven, Namine, Mickey, Donald and Goofy. I would replace Ienzo with Namine as the exposition mouthpiece. Aqua can act as the most experienced and leader of them all, Riku can act as her second in command. This creates conflict between Sora and Ven - because Sora may choose to listen to Riku instead of Aqua and Ven chooses Aqua over Sora/Riku. Mickey can do his vanishing act until we need him again to reveal some grand secret. Kairi can be the voice of reason amongst the conflicting Sora/Ven - maybe create even more drama if Kairi sides with Ven instead of Sora.

EDIT: Oh and I purposefully wrote out Roxas and Xion because they are visually clones of Ven and Kairi. It just makes sense to get rid of the clones... even though I love them more than Ven or Kairi.

So ignoring story stuff for second funnily enough despite them being visually clones.. I actually think in terms of gameplay at least there's a lot more unique potential for Xion and Roxas than Ven and Kairi. Ven is just Fast Boi who happens to hold his keyblade in a reverse grip and Kairi is.. Im not really sure how to describe the fighting style she got in RE:Mind it was fun though. But like with Roxas you have the constant duel wield gimmick built in. Xion was shown in 3 to still be able to copy powers via her well copying Saix's so she could act as something of a blue mage type, where you'd get only a base keyblade or two but instead of getting more keyblades and transformations and forms you'd get more weapons and powers from her friends and foes. Though obviously from a development standpoint that one is a LOT more work to do and.. is a bit more Devil May Cry or Bayonetta than Kingdom Hearts in concept. But yeah in terms of spin offs or if KH 4 does something where maybe each world on the KH side of the wall between Quadratum and whatever worlds surround it and the classic Disney + Original worlds has a different keyblade wielder as your playable character I would be much more interested in PLAYING a Roxas or Xion World (plus I think if they do Coco Xion is pretty much the absolute perfect character to interact with the themes of that movie)

Storywise Ven is obviously going to be forefront going forward though due to all the UX stuff coming in. Kairi is Kairi and I can't truly believe she'll be a proper main character treated as an equal in her trio until it actually you know happens, it's just burnt too many times there.

Nukara

Awards
Sure, I didn’t say none. I just said less. This generation is way more costly and time-intensive to develop for, so I think we are going to see way less spin off titles in the future
The team should definitely take another look at the Switch and not write it off
from the accounts, this is an ideal platform for spin-off

Henryp

Awards
Making a future side-game that is Switch friendly (aka MoM) is one thing, making a spin off exclusively meant for Switch is a horrible idea. I think they'll go for the PS/Xbox/PC multiplatforms to avoid the drama that happened during the BbS days, with the clear exception of mobile titles.

That being said, if they want to branch out the storyline outside of the main games, in a sense they create an isolated subseries for whichever Nintendo platform with zero impact to the other titles, which is higly unlikely, then i guess that'll be fine for most people.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
He never does. XD also I feel like instead of him actually bothering to answer, he was just mentally taking notes on what he needs to revisit in the future.

Yep, Nomura's a more shy guy who doesn't like big live events with lots of people around him at all.
We're somewhat similar in that vein as I too don't feel comfortable in too big of a crowd.
Being with four to six people is ok but more tends to stress me out quickly.

I actually like the idea that Nomura looks at fan questions and goes "Damn, they still care about that particular part of the story I never bothered to develop any deeper." or "Damn, I totally forgot about this still open story thread, must make a note to address this somewhere."
It's on one hand hilarious and on the other a bit sad to consider that the great story weaver loses oversight of his own created universe.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
You know, considering what Vexen and Zexion were like, this death is well deserved. Bad guys kill bad guys. Of course, he did a disgusting thing with the Riku replica, but I think he redeemed himself to some extent through Xion. Realizing that replicas are living beings. Yes, he is selfish, but there is nothing wrong with the fact that he wants to save his loved ones. One of whom wants to literally end his life. Even if he doesn't do it in the right way. For me, Axel is a "traumatized child" at heart, who, in addition to the fact that he did not experience emotions, was and grew up in a very shitty environment. And then people appeared in his life who helped him get out of this shit. However, they also left. The guy held on to them like a life raft. In any case, Axel, compared to all the other members of the organization, is far from the worst guy. I'm silent about his FF analogue Reno, which threw the damn stove on civilians.
I personally don't put that much stock into the Vexen/Zexion deaths like most do. It's not like they were angels. I only take note of it for how brutal they are, especially in the case of Vexen who's begging for his life. It was a cold blooded murder that can't be ignored. But if the roles were reversed they would have done the same to Axel. Honestly the only real victim I saw in those was the Riku Replica. But I do feel they missed a opportunity to show how much Axel/Lea had changed since CoM by trying to at least address it and apologize to Ienzo and Even. Not really for their sake, but for Lea who isn't the Assassin anymore. Of course Axel's not the worst guy in the Organization, but he made plenty of mistakes in it, and they should use those to flesh out his character more.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I don't usually gun for the Switch since it is an inferior piece of hardware and I want KH to flourish at its best.

But Lost-Masters being on Unreal Engine and the KH3 environments scaling down to suit Androids / iPhones is insulting to what everything else could have been. They could have gotten every KH game to work natively with it instead of the dreadful, non-worldwide, cloud versions.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't usually gun for the Switch since it is an inferior piece of hardware and I want KH to flourish at its best.

But Lost-Masters being on Unreal Engine and the KH3 environments scaling down to suit Androids / iPhones is insulting to what everything else could have been. They could have gotten every KH game to work natively with it instead of the dreadful, non-worldwide, cloud versions.
Yeah, honestly Missing-Link really shows their asses in regards to their laziness in not making the games native on Switch. Up until yesterday I didn’t think KH3 was possible.

I get not wanting to put staff on a project like that when they are busy with another game, but hire an outside firm to do the port? I get they’ve been burned on a few occasions, but sometimes you just can’t make everything in-house. They have to have a good relationship with a competent company capable of scaling down, compressing, and porting games in a way where they run without compromising anything beyond maybe 60fps lol

Though, to be fair, this problem wouldn’t exist to begin with is Nintendo could get a proper revision out there back when it was feasible to do so. At this point we’ll just be waiting for the Switch 2.

MoonRabbit

Awards
— Where did Riku get the Keyblade he gave to Kairi in KH2?
Nomura: If you're asking about that... I'll follow up on it. If I don't, then we'd just be throwing that all away.

Nomura's response leads me to believe that he did originally have an explanation for Riku giving Kairi her Keyblade, but just never got a chance to show it. Here is my theory on what the explanation was going to be:
Nomura: The transfer of the Keyblade from Roxas to Riku at the skyscraper is related to Xion. Although it is the origin of the name “Xion,” the flower Aster Tataricus also means “forget-me-not” and “recollection.” And Riku received that, “to pass away memories.” When Riku gets the Keyblade, such meanings are contained in a flashback carried out by Xion.

(358/2 Days Ultimania, May 2009)

So, in Japanese, "Oblivion" is called 過ぎ去りし思い出 which translates to "Passing Memories". Roxas threw that Keyblade to Riku during their fight, and that passed the memories of Xion's life from Roxas to him.

Xemnas: Take steps? How can you not see how perfect this is? Xion is marching right into the arms of destiny. The only steps we need take are two: watch...and wait.

Xion marched right into the arms of destiny. Kairi's Keyblade is called "Destiny's Embrace". Kairi's ability to wield is intimately connected to the "parallel life" she lived as Xion. That is why Riku had to be the one to first summon Kairi's Keyblade for her. He was passing those memories on to their rightful owner, Kairi. And Destiny's Embrace has a flower motif, one of the flowers is even star-shaped like a forget-me-not.

Last edited:

CDD

Awards
Looking forward to playing Missing Link since it's actually an ARPG like the main series. Looks like the devs have been making steady progress on all of their projects. Good to see.

Back