• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH4 Development Timeline

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

HakaishinChampa

Awards
Pixar and Frozen might be the only roadblocks that the team runs into. Pixar will want an original story and Disney will keep butting in for Frozen

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Pixar and Frozen might be the only roadblocks that the team runs into. Pixar will want an original story and Disney will keep butting in for Frozen
Personally, I don't think we're getting any Pixar worlds for Kingdom Hearts IV. Missing Link had the Disney/Pixar copyright whilst this game didn't.

NoWay

Awards
Personally, I don't think we're getting any Pixar worlds for Kingdom Hearts IV. Missing Link had the Disney/Pixar copyright whilst this game didn't.
But did KH3 have the Disney/Pixar copyright in the first trailers?
EDIT: For example The 2017 orchestra trailer didn’t have the Disney/Pixar copyright either but the later trailers did have it

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

That’s likely just because it is TBD and nothing Pixar was shown at this time. KH3 trailers didn’t have Pixar copyright prior to Toy Story reveal if I remember right. I think M-L is far enough along that they know they’ll be using Pixar trophies at the very least and aren’t concerned with spoiling reveals.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
TBF KH4 doesn't have a Starwars or Marvel copyright
That’s likely just because it is TBD and nothing Pixar was shown at this time. KH3 trailers didn’t have Pixar copyright prior to Toy Story reveal if I remember right. I think M-L is far enough along that they know they’ll be using Pixar trophies at the very least and aren’t concerned with spoiling reveals.
That's a valid point, I just don't see Sora escaping Unreality in this game hence why I'm reluctant to believe that we're going to visit any Disney Animation or Pixar world's but that's just me.

the red monster

Awards
That's a valid point, I just don't see Sora escaping Unreality in this game hence why I'm reluctant to believe that we're going to visit any Disney Animation or Pixar world's but that's just me.
didn't nomura pretty much confirm that disney/real KH world style will be in KH4 though? that's the main reason goofy and donald showed up at the ending.

Chie

Awards
Will still be in it (I mean, Olympus clearly is), but there might be more care or intention behind their appearance than, say, just a "selection of new worlds" as brand advertising ala KH3. Olympus is one that actually has a continuing story across almost all the games, for example. Also, there could be worlds that would use normal graphics that are still part of Unreality for different reasons than "looks like real life". Who knows

SS501

Awards
I don't expect KH4 to take a long time. It was in pre-production while Remind was in development meaning its pre-production started sometime in 2019. My safe bet is late 2024 taking into consideration the 6 month delay caused by Covid according to SE.

sdr27

Awards
I'm in the 2023/2024 camp. I think Nourma had the intention of releasing it for the 20th anniversary. I recall TGS 2018, where he said, He is looking forward to what comes next after the Dark Seeker saga and the 410 building cemented his intention. If they started production in 2019 and COVID didn't happen. It would have been 3 years. People might say if it is releasing next year, why not show more and show 2023 at the end? I think they are waiting until they know for sure that it is releasing next year because anything can happen. I might be wrong about this. My risky prediction is Sept 2023 and my safe prediction is 2024.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
didn't nomura pretty much confirm that disney/real KH world style will be in KH4 though? that's the main reason goofy and donald showed up at the ending.
Yeah, he did but I still think the Donald and Goofy scenes will just be relegated to cutscenes meaning Sora won't visit any Disney Animation/Pixar world's in this game.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
TBF KH4 doesn't have a Starwars or Marvel copyright
This is actually why I think Star Wars or MARVEL will be one of the first world reveals. Because they may have to put that copyright logo and wouldn't want to spoil anything by having it there without confirming.

Although the LUCASFILMS logo is at the end of KH3 simply because they used the word "droid".

the red monster

Awards
putting all the copyrights on the first trailer will spoil too much, it makes sense pixar and the others aren't there.
star wars very likely to be the first world revealed if they already teased it.

HakaishinChampa

Awards
putting all the copyrights on the first trailer will spoil too much, it makes sense pixar and the others aren't there.
star wars very likely to be the first world revealed if they already teased it.
I'm just expecting an announcement similar to Big Hero 6, I'm not sure if it'll be polished enough to show gameplay

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
The confidence of ReMind's combat design in early 2020 really reflects well on KH4's development to me, so I'm hoping that the team really seems to know where they're going with the general combat design. I get the impression that trying to figure out the combat was something that slowed down KH3, with its disparate systems and ideas. If they had known exactly what they were going for, perhaps 3 would have arrived a season sooner.

NoWay

Awards
After watching some videos about UE5 I was wondering if you think that the new engine could speed up the development process?

If I remember correctly, the developers had much trouble with the light effects and character models (for example with Terra and Aqua in 0.2). With the new lumen technique this shouldn’t be a problem anymore, no?

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
After watching some videos about UE5 I was wondering if you think that the new engine could speed up the development process?

If I remember correctly, the developers had much trouble with the light effects and character models (for example with Terra and Aqua in 0.2). With the new lumen technique this shouldn’t be a problem anymore, no?

Yeah it should definitely take out a lot of work they’d have to do otherwise. Besides Lumen which will make lighting way easier, the engine has a ton of ready to use assets and the metahuman tech that will save a lot time if utilized.

They also may be able to straight up import assets used in the CG Disney movies if I’m understanding the tech right. That could be a serious game changer for the series. (Disclaimer: I’m no expert and just going off what I’ve heard in videos explaining the tech. I’m wanting to learn more as this stuff has really sparked my interest.)

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
They also may be able to straight up import assets used in the CG Disney movies if I’m understanding the tech right. That could be a serious game changer for the series. (Disclaimer: I’m no expert and just going off what I’ve heard in videos explaining the tech. I’m wanting to learn more as this stuff has really sparked my interest.)
Disney won't share their assets so the team has to recreate them from scratch, but even if they did, they're not meant for use in games and would need to be altered.

NoWay

Awards
Disney won't share their assets so the team has to recreate them from scratch, but even if they did, they're not meant for use in games and would need to be altered.
But didn’t Disney share their assets during KH3’s development? If I remember correctly, they did share them. Or did they support the development process?

mriku90

Awards
Yeah, he did but I still think the Donald and Goofy scenes will just be relegated to cutscenes meaning Sora won't visit any Disney Animation/Pixar world's in this game.
That's silly. The reveal of the Disney Worlds is literally how they market these games. They're not gonna relegate the main reason people buy these games to just cutscenes.

I know some people want to say otherwise but Disney and their worlds are literally the reason people purchase these games. And by people I don't mean us on the forums, I mean the average person.

They love Disney and being able to play through your favorite Disney films is a heavy trip through nostalgia.

Plus Disney would never ever agree to greenlight a Kingdom Hearts game that does not feature their properties in it.

Back