• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Politics Florida governor just screwed over Disney as punishment for being "woke"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sonofjafar

Awards
To cut a long story short, Disney is stuck paying more taxes for their property in Florida because they nixed their support of the Don't Say Gay law. First time Disney has tried to do the right thing and this happens. I'm personally outraged and find this an act of political oppression but what do you guys think. Are you ready to use their previous not so woke actions as an excuse for deserving oppression or are you willing to put that aside and find this unfair? personally, I'm the latter but I'll attempt to stay neutral to those that prefer the former.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I’m mixed. I’m glad Disney is paying more taxes but I’m mad behind the intent. It’s not about the Governor doing the right thing, it’s all about pettiness.

Sonofjafar

Awards
I’m mixed. I’m glad Disney is paying more taxes but I’m mad behind the intent. It’s not about the Governor doing the right thing, it’s all about pettiness.
Tbf, I might have accidentally exaggerated Disney’s actual net loss from this. Some people are saying the people living in Disney owned counties will be paying more taxes

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
What's funny is that this is just going to screw taxpayers in Florida. Of all the things to beef with Disney over and screw your approval rating, it had to be the funny gay people.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
It's more screwing the people who lived around Disney (who likely had no choice but to live there. Cause well. Disney).

Disney isn't really losing anything and I doubt this will be a big financial hit. But they're probably be more quiet politically going forward.

You bet your bottom dollar that conservatives are still gonna go so all those Marvel movies and take their kids to see Disney movies though. Disney has that market cornered and I doubt even republican politicians can break their monopoly on the industry.

If anything, this could push Disney to be more interested in Democrats who are also very cozy to corporations and aren't as likely to push anti-gay legislation and cause this drama in the first place, which could be a detriment to republicans in the long run.

Either way, this is a terrible time for human rights in Florida.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Tbf, I might have accidentally exaggerated Disney’s actual net loss from this. Some people are saying the people living in Disney owned counties will be paying more taxes

That's right, it's Florida's citizens that will be paying higher taxes and there are around 400 government employees losing their jobs because of this, too.
Disney isn't really losing anything and I doubt this will be a big financial hit. But they're probably be more quiet politically going forward.
I think this will simply encourage Disney to go all in on LGBT inclusion now, tbh. I mean, DeSantis has done the only thing he can do to them at this point; at least now Disney never needs to worry about appeasing the politicians in Florida to keep their special status anymore since it's already gone. And it would've happened eventually in this Trump Era of nutjob politics, conservatives have hated Disney since the '90s.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
^ I think I may have been right, since Disney is refusing to censor the Doctor Strange sequel for India and they also moved Love, Victor to Disney+.

redcrown

Awards
I think this will simply encourage Disney to go all in on LGBT inclusion now, tbh. I mean, DeSantis has done the only thing he can do to them at this point; at least now Disney never needs to worry about appeasing the politicians in Florida to keep their special status anymore since it's already gone. And it would've happened eventually in this Trump Era of nutjob politics, conservatives have hated Disney since the '90s.
I'm not so sure about that, they still "need" to cater to Russian and Chinese markets, although I'm surprised about them bringing Love Victor to Disney+ so who knows.

Back