• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What exactly happened to Terra?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Eonstar890

Awards
My understanding of the journey was that after becoming possessed by Master Xehanort, Terra's heart continued to fight for control over his body so the two were in an inner turmoil. Then after Aqua battled Terra-Xehanort one of them (still not sure who was in control at that point) used no name to seal(?) both of their hearts which leads to the amnesiac Apprentice Xehanort.

Now this is where I feel unsure. So after banishing AtW to the RoD, Xehanort gradually gains certain memories as well as learns from his research into the heart about the existence of nobodies. He decides to rid himself, and his fellow apprentices, of their hearts. Doing this allowed his heart to travel back in time to his younger self and set him on the necessary course, while the organization formed with the secret goals of creating thirteen vessels as well as locating Ventus in CO. But what the heck happens to Terra's heart at this point? We know from KH3 that Terra's heart manifested into the guardian when Xehanort took control of him, and Ansem SoD uses the guardian back in KH1. Does that mean that when Xehanort time travelled to the past that it was actually Terra-Xehanort that travelled to the past? If this is the case that means Terra was forced to live through at least 50 years as nothing more than a heart... 0_0

Then at the end of KH2, both Xemnas and Ansem SoD are vanquished resulting on the recompletion of the original person... but instead of Terra-Xehanort being recompleted Master Xehanort is? I believe in the Ultimania it is explained that at this point the past version of Terra-Xehanort was brought to the present to inhabit Terra's body like any other vessel, but I am confused as to how that is supposed to work as well.. does that mean that there are both Terra and Terra-Xehanort hearts present during the Keyblade War? Or was it only Xehanorts hearts brought forward in time? Then why didn't Terra get to be recompleted as well?

My main questions:
If Master Xehanort was recompleted then why wasn't Terra?
If my understanding is correct does that mean Terra had to suffer for like half a century as a prisoner of his own heart?
Exactly how do Terra-Xehanort and Master Xehanort coexist during the Keyblade War?

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
If Master Xehanort was recompleted then why wasn't Terra?
He was. The body Terranort uses in KH3 is the re-completed body of Terra in the present. Once Xemnas and Ansem SoD were defeated, MX and Terra reformed as their complete selves separately, but Terra was snatched by Xehanort and possessed by Terranort (who was brought forward from the past).

If my understanding is correct does that mean Terra had to suffer for like half a century as a prisoner of his own heart
Mmmm, bassically. Both he and Xehanort's hearts were sealed away inside Apprentice Xehanort, and their memories suppressed until they eventually began to resurface over time.

Exactly how do Terra-Xehanort and Master Xehanort coexist during the Keyblade War?
As explained above, Terra's body was restored post Xemnas and Ansem, but was possessed by a version of Terranort from the past. Master Xehanort existed as himself. This is explained in the Ultimania.

Does this make sense? I tried to lay out as clear as possible.

Eonstar890

Awards
He was. The body Terranort uses in KH3 is the re-completed body of Terra in the present. Once Xemnas and Ansem SoD were defeated, MX and Terra reformed as their complete selves separately, but Terra was snatched by Xehanort and possessed by Terranort (who was brought forward from the past).

Mmmm, bassically. Both he and Xehanort's hearts were sealed away inside Apprentice Xehanort, and their memories suppressed until they eventually began to resurface over time.

As explained above, Terra's body was restored post Xemnas and Ansem, but was possessed by a version of Terranort from the past. Master Xehanort existed as himself. This is explained in the Ultimania.

Does this make sense? I tried to lay out as clear as possible.

Thank you! I guess I am more confused as to why it was so easy for Terra to be possessed again after being recompleted. Wasn't the reason Xehanort was able to possess him originally because his heart was full of darkness?

I also never thought about the fact that Terra was trapped for way more than ten years before which is crazy to me. Poor guy really has been through it. What exactly does being sealed away do anyways? Does this mean a new heart formed and that was Apprentice Xehanort?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
What confuses me about Terra's return is that the Terra that took back his body was the one from the past(Since the Guardian that was housing his heart came from past Ansem). What about current Terra whose heart was stolen by Xehanort in the present?

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Thank you! I guess I am more confused as to why it was so easy for Terra to be possessed again after being recompleted. Wasn't the reason Xehanort was able to possess him originally because his heart was full of darkness?

I also never thought about the fact that Terra was trapped for way more than ten years before which is crazy to me. Poor guy really has been through it. What exactly does being sealed away do anyways? Does this mean a new heart formed and that was Apprentice Xehanort?
No problem! But yeah, I'm not sure how exactly Terra was repossessed. We really only get the "why" and not the "how" from Mickey. I'm guessing Terra was still struggling with the darkness, just not as much. He does say (during Blank Points) that he's "not afraid of what the darkness holds now", implying he had a similar revelation to the one Riku did in Reverse Re: Birth. Still, their internal struggle really is unclear, and KH3 doesn't help elaborate on it.

"Sealed away" meaning locked away. It bassically means they both lost connection with Terra's body, and said body no longer had the memories contained in both of their hearts. One would logically think this would mean the body (Apprentice Xehanort), acting if his own accord, would naturally grow a heart of it's own, but it doesn't seem like that's the case for whatever reason.

What confuses me about Terra's return is that the Terra that took back his body was the one from the past(Since the Guardian that was housing his heart came from past Ansem). What about current Terra whose heart was stolen by Xehanort in the present?
I always thought the Terra controlling the Guardian was present Terra, but yeah. One does have to wonder if past Terra had a hand in that struggle as well, and if so, I'm surprised Terranort could even function at all in KH3 (since that's effectively four hearts fighting against one). Either way, when all was said and done, Terranort's heart was (somehow) returned to the past according to the Ultimania.

okhi12

Awards
I don't think the Guardian comes from the past. The Guardian didn't die when Ansem SoD vanished at the end of KH1, Riku used the Guardian against Roxas so it has been around since then because it was never destroyed and Ansem still lingered inside Riku's heart. Ansem SoD summoned it again in DDD but even though that Ansem comes from the past that doesn't mean the Guardian does. And then Ansem and Terranort used it again in KH3 until Terra's heart (present Terra) was freed and the Guardian is presumably gone for good.
It would not make sense if the Terra that returned has his heart from the past and his current time heart is somewhere else.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I don't think the Guardian comes from the past. The Guardian didn't die when Ansem SoD vanished at the end of KH1, Riku used the Guardian against Roxas so it has been around since then because it was never destroyed and Ansem still lingered inside Riku's heart. Ansem SoD summoned it again in DDD but even though that Ansem comes from the past that doesn't mean the Guardian does. And then Ansem and Terranort used it again in KH3 until Terra's heart (present Terra) was freed and the Guardian is presumably gone for good.
It would not make sense if the Terra that returned has his heart from the past and his current time heart is somewhere else.
Part of the reason I think it is the past Guardian is because Ansem was never shown using it again after the confrontation with the Twilight Gang. And the replica based on him in Scala wasn't using it either.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I've always wondered about the Guardian status too. Both Terranort and Ansem use it. And like okhi12 said Riku was able to summon it when he went Ansem mode. But once Terra's heart was freed from it Ansem could no longer use it. I always use to consider the Guardian as a powerful Heartless summon for them not a actual extension of them.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
i kind of figured that the Guardian was destroyed in KH2 when Riku was purged from Ansem's darkness and the Guardian used by Ansem was the one from the past, while Terranort's was the present Terra.

But it would be odd for the current Terra to not have an upperhand, if the Nort possessing him was a past Terranort. After all as previously mentioned that'd lead to 4 hearts struggling against one. Though i guess the past Terra and Eraqus could have gone dormant.

Awards
Like others have said, Terra was recompleted alongside MX, and Past Terranort took control of the body.

As for Terra's heart, it was locked within the Guardian once Terranort took over in order to prevent any struggle. And as we all know, it failed.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Oh hey, maybe someone might have explained this, but did they ever give a reason why Terra's body went back to his BBS time as oppose to Apprentice Xehanort body with the longer hair? Because I just thought when Ansem and Xemnas were destroyed they bring back the body from when they were formed. So why doesn't Terra have at least longer hair?

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Oh hey, maybe someone might have explained this, but did they ever give a reason why Terra's body went back to his BBS time as oppose to Apprentice Xehanort body with the longer hair? Because I just thought when Ansem and Xemnas were destroyed they bring back the body from when they were formed. So why doesn't Terra have at least longer hair?
Probably the same reason Braig looked like his BBS self in Re: Coded's secret ending, as opposed to looking like the more aged Xigbar from KH2. What that reason is (in-universe), I'm not sure, but I imagine the writers wanted to keep the more familiar appearance of their Somebodies so we could tell which they were, with the exception of Ienzo.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Probably the same reason Braig looked like his BBS self in Re: Coded's secret ending, as opposed to looking like the more aged Xigbar from KH2. What that reason is (in-universe), I'm not sure, but I imagine the writers wanted to keep the more familiar appearance of their Somebodies so we could tell which they were, with the exception of Ienzo.
True, true but Braig looked more like his BBS self when he became Xigbar right? I get they wanted to keep the more formal appearances, but maybe they could have shown a scene of Terranort like cutting his hair to resemble his BBS self to fool Ven and Aqua. I know that isn't important but still it's a little detail.

Back