• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Nomura discusses Kingdom Hearts 3 Re Mind, new teams and future projects in Twitter Q&A

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SweetYetSalty

Awards
This is exciting news as we've got not one but two new Kingdom Hearts games in development, unless if that other game is really KHIV.

Square Enic can still reuse the character models (e.g. Sora, Riku, Kairi, Donald, Goofy, Roxas, Ventus, Aqua, The Foretellers, Xigbar etc..) and worlds (e.g. Twilight Town, Radiant Garden, Destiny Islands, Toy Box, Arendelle) from Kingdom Hearts III for the next KH games without restarting from scratch again so development will move a lot faster than in previous KH titles, however when it comes to the new Disney/Original worlds and characters they create, it may take them another year or two to develop. I do expect the next new KH game for the PS5 (or whichever console it's releasing) to come out around mid-late 2021 and the next KH game by 2022 or 2023, mainly the forner as it's the 20th anniversary of the first KH game and the KH franchise and going by the release pattern on how they release a new Kingdom Hearts game, it's usually 1-2 or 3-4 years for a new KH game (depending of the KH title) to come out.
Yeah! Two KH games means double the fun! It also means I have to eventually get a PS5...You're killing me Square! You're killing me. Still it's worth it for my favorite game series.

Well it's time for me to take a leave a absence from the forums for a bit in the next 5 hours for ReMind. See all you guys in the aftermath of the DLC.

Xagzan

Awards
Are there any plans for further updates or DLC?
There are no plans for a hypothetical update as of now, but if issues come up we will deal with it. Re Mind is to be the first and only DLC. We are already working on the next title. The title screen of Re Mind serves as a piece of foundation for it.

The title screen is the Sora and Kairi both with paopu fruit. Also they added in that Sora says something to Kairi prior to disappearing so I imagine she will be playing a huge part in the next title and likely she may even be the main playable protagonist this time along with Riku.

Oooh yes missed that part, god that would be everything I've wanted from KH for years.

As long as it's not just CoM Redux/DDD Redux with Sora/Riku.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Yeah! Two KH games means double the fun! It also means I have to eventually get a PS5...You're killing me Square! You're killing me. Still it's worth it for my favorite game series.

Well it's time for me to take a leave a absence from the forums for a bit in the next 5 hours for ReMind. See all you guys in the aftermath of the DLC.
Good luck to you SweetYetSalty

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Someone check on Nomura, he keeps trying to speak this line into existence, it doesn't really work like that. Look:
The excuses get weaker every time, but Limit Cut itself is the best argument against this line of reasoning so far.
Throws out the window the notion that Riku wouldn't have sought out their help because he doesn't know them like Sora does. Makes clear their utility to the plot even on the most basic level, since Cid is good with data and data is key to most of KH3 proper. Cid even "outdid" himself building the boss fights for the Org, which, you know, might have been useful to have someone who accidentally manages to recreate data perfectly when looking into mysterious code inside Sora's heart.
But yeah, keep spinning Nomura.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Q12 Will you tell us about any plans for future KH projects?
We still need some time with regards to main line Kingdom Hearts, but first up the KH UX team will have a surprising announcement tomorrow. Aside from the KH3 and KH UX teams, we actually have two new teams in operation, and from them one title will be coming surprisingly soon.

So as of right now, we have four dedicated Kingdom Hearts teams.
  • The Kingdom Hearts III development team.
  • The Unchained/Union Cross team who are announcing a Xehanort related game.
  • A Kingdom Hearts development team who will announce a new project soon.
  • Another Kingdom Hearts development team who are creating a project.
Unchained/Union Cross is developed by BitGroove so it's safe to assume not all of the Kingdom Hearts teams are internal developers.

redcrown

Awards
Are there any plans for further updates or DLC? There are no plans for a hypothetical update as of now, but if issues come up we will deal with it. Re Mind is to be the first and only DLC. We are already working on the next title. The title screen of Re Mind serves as a piece of foundation for it.

Welp this throws out the hope that KH will win back my attention or money anytime soon.

ghostwarmen

Awards
God this news gets me eagerly awaiting more news. Something in my gut is telling me the "surprisingly soon" game is going to be the one Nomura said would precede KH4, with KH4 being worked on currently by one of the two teams. They may even merge with the KH3 team now that Re:Mind is done. I don't know, all weak speculation on my part; but also something to get me through the days.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
God this news gets me eagerly awaiting more news. Something in my gut is telling me the "surprisingly soon" game is going to be the one Nomura said would precede KH4, with KH4 being worked on currently by one of the two teams. They may even merge with the KH3 team now that Re:Mind is done. I don't know, all weak speculation on my part; but also something to get me through the days.

Osaka Team worked hard for years to prove themselves and earn the right to work on a numbered title. It's unlikely that KH4 would be developed by anyone other than them.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Osaka Team worked hard for years to prove themselves and earn the right to work on a numbered title. It's unlikely that KH4 would be developed by anyone other than them.

And especially with the 6 new abilities that came with the free update, I think people will finally start giving Osaka Team their props. Most gameplay-based KH fans lost their minds when those new abilities came in (myself included). And now that with KH3, they've proven themselves, they're going to be the definitive KH team from now on most likely.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
The Unchained/Union Cross team who are announcing a Xehanort related game.
Oh was it confirmed that, the Union Cross guys are the team behind Project Xehanort? I was worried that one of the new teams might be another mobile game development team.

Also does anyone know, if Project Xehanort is the game referenced in the interview or if not. I'm feeling like it must be but I'm not sure.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Oh was it confirmed that, the Union Cross guys are the team behind Project Xehanort? I was worried that one of the new teams might be another mobile game development team.

Also does anyone know, if Project Xehanort is the game referenced in the interview or if not. I'm feeling like it must be but I'm not sure.

Nobody knows, that's what's up in the air. By "game", we have no idea what Nomura classifies as one, and mobile games ARE a thing in Japan. Plus "surprisingly soon" checks out, because ReMind came out on January 23rd, and Project Xehanort has a Spring 2020 launch. That's not that long of a wait if we're talking April 2020 or something, especially because we're almost in February now anyway.

Or if it's a console game, "surprisingly soon" might be like, "a year from now"... And I'm not entirely convinced we're getting a new console HD game in 2021. 2022 maybe, but Nomura should clarify.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Nobody knows, that's what's up in the air. By "game", we have no idea what Nomura classifies as one, and mobile games ARE a thing in Japan. Plus "surprisingly soon" checks out, because ReMind came out on January 23rd, and Project Xehanort has a Spring 2020 launch. That's not that long of a wait if we're talking April 2020 or something, especially because we're almost in February now anyway.

Or if it's a console game, "surprisingly soon" might be like, "a year from now"... And I'm not entirely convinced we're getting a new console HD game in 2021. 2022 maybe, but Nomura should clarify.
Leave it to Nomura to give us information that leaves us more confused than if he had said nothing at all. I'll just assume the game he mentioned here is the Xehanort game. I know that Mobile games are popular in Japan, but I'm curious if SE is aware of the stigma and dislike most other places seem to have toward it.

I just hope it's not another gotcha game.

I feel that for the 20th anniversary we'll the game hinted at in limit cut, seems fittung to return to the realm of sleep for the second time for the second decade anniversary. I'd be surprised is we didn't get an anniversary game in 2022 or 2023.

GreyouTT

Awards
Square put out an English version of the Q&A, if that is of any interest.

Q12: Would you be able to share, if any, plans for the future of the KINGDOM HEARTS series?
We will need some more time to make another traditional, main-series style KINGDOM HEARTS game, but there was a surprising announcement from the KINGDOM HEARTS Union χ[Cross] team last week. On top of that, we also have two new teams working on different projects separate from Re Mind and Union χ[Cross], and one of those games is coming out earlier than you would think. The title screen for Re Mind lays some of the groundwork for it.

So the two teams are separate from Xehanort, meaning it's a third party.

Which returns me to my original comment in this thread:

TWOGAMES

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards

TWOGAMES

Wait what? Not only is Project Xehanort from the Union Cross team but "DDD2" might be coming surprisingly soon?

That's great to hear! I was under the impression that Union Cross and Project Xehanort were being made by two different teams and that PX was the surprisingly soon game.

Last edited:

GreyouTT

Awards
Wait what? Not only is Project Xehanort from the Union Cross team but "DDD2" might ve coming surprisingly soon?

That's great to hear! I was under the impression that Union Cross and Project Xehanort were being made by two different teams and that PX was the surprisingly soon game.
I think it's a different team than the UX one (they do have to focus on that game after all), but it is likely a third party team. So it's either:
  • Another company.
  • A new team at Bitgroove separate from the UX team.
It might be the latter, but I kinda want the former.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards

TWOGAMES

Yoooo, let's go!! In that case, we probably won't have too much of a waiting gap for Kingdom Hearts 4, since this next game clearly won't be that one. Maybe DDD2? I can't think of any other game it'd be, since it's implied that all things Foretellers would most likely be in the next numbered title.

ghostwarmen

Awards
Man, I am ready for this! I'm hoping this next game is indeed the one Nomura said would prelude into KH4. And hoping KH4 is back to the classic SDG action, with some Foreteller stuff going on. Just have to wait and see

Back