• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XVI

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I figured this game would get a Mature rating after seeing the blood. I wonder why they decided to go in a more gritty direction for a mainline title.
I'd agree with Ballad of Caius on this one. The modern, trendy fantasy story is dark, gritty, edgy. Blood. Death. Sex. Shocking twists. Square is probably looking at that and going "that will spice up Final Fantasy".

And I'm playing through the MSQ of FFXIV, so it actually makes a lot of sense to me that Yoshi P would make XVI extra dark. FFXIV itself is very dark in places, with executions, almost an entire group slaughtered in their secret base, a slightly comedic but dark scene of an NPC party who lost a member and that deceased person's soon-to-be wife and healer carrying his head in her inventory (wtf), a boss with a backstory where she gathered maidens to kill them and use their blood to gain immortality.... The list goes on. There are a number of quests requiring you to carry a corpse or two (sometimes a bunch) to places for burial.

In all honesty, Final Fantasy had been this dark before. The only thing making XIV not M is the lack of on-screen blood, probably only do lack of graphical capability. With XVI though that isn't an issue, so... We have it.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards

Looks like SquarecEnix learned lesson about announcing things too early.
They did and are taking their own internal policy seriously. Meaning that, when we see the announcement of FFXVI-2 or FFXVII, it means it'll be ready in a year or two.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
No. It was a random assumption to support my point that whatever comes after FFXVI will be announced when it's ready.

Was that confirmed? Excuse the ignorance.
Officially confirmed, no. But every other rumor's been true so far.

Xblade13

Awards
I'm not sure why people would jump straight to assuming XVI will be a live service game? It looks like a single player story-driven Final Fantasy, not an MMO. They aren't going to do another MMO until they finish up the main plot for XIV. Which mostly likely has 2 main expansions left in it. So maybe XVII or XVIII they'd put Yoshida in charge of the next MMO Final Fantasy.

I have yet to see a single player story-based game go fully live service. That's usually reserved for multiplayer games like CoD, Destiny, MMOs, etc. And none of that was remotely hinted at for XVI.

I could see XVI maybe getting a side multiplayer mode akin to XV's Comrades mode. That could be treated as the "live service game". But the main story? Unless it's secretly a multiplayer game at the very core I doubt it immensely. And just because Yoshida is the producer doesn't mean it's multiplayer automatically. XIV is actually so highly lauded not just for it's actual MMO gameplay but how well written the story is and how invested people get into it. XVI I see Yoshida just being like "yeah, this is how you write a Final Fantasy, not the disjointed and DLC heavy XV."

Now, there may be DLC for this, we don't know. But I doubt it will be anywhere as extensive as XV's. So we'll just have to wait and see. I still think it's a single player story game first, with maybe a side multiplayer.

bobgoesw00t

Awards
Website
bobgoesw00t.tumblr.com
I was pleasantly surprised by this trailer and I for one am really looking forward to it. I'm glad their keeping the combat from XV while tweaking it a bit to be something new (was getting MASSIVE Demon/Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Seikiro vibes from what they showed) and I'm VERY happy with how dark the game is looking. I personally am hoping this gets an M rating when it eventually comes out :D

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I am interested in how the game might be different because of that. I won't mind a little cursing here and there, for example. On the other hand... Although I liked GoT's story, I wasn't a fan of the extreme violence, I'll admit, realistic as it may have been. I'm not saying this is trying to imitate GoT or anything, I just hope they don't veer into goriness.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Final Fantasy game ratings don't typically seem to be affected by cursing, though. Both versions of VII had helpings of swear words (and plenty of risqué material), and it didn't call for a Mature rating. I think it has more to do with the violence that will be depicted and who knows what other themes.

The Dead Skin

like tears in rain.
Awards
I'm not sure why people would jump straight to assuming XVI will be a live service game?

The hell? Look at SQEX's big in-house releases for the past 4 years:
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • NieR: Automata
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Octopath Traveler
None of these were live service games.

XV was, but its development ended up so excessive and disorganized that its DLCs were cancelled after the fourth one and its director was fired. That game was an experiment gone wrong on a lot of levels, and I don't mean that as an attack (or even criticism). I highly doubt SQEX would, internally, see XV as a standard to reach.

Last edited:

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
The hell? Look at SQEX's big in-house releases for the past 4 years:
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • NieR: Automata
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Octopath Traveler
None of these were live service games.

XV was, but its development ended up so excessive and disorganized that its DLCs were cancelled after the fourth one and its director was fired. That game was an experiment gone wrong on a lot of levels, and I don't mean that as an attack (or even criticism). I highly doubt SQEX would, internally, see XV as a standard to reach.

Well, you’re right about that. Actually, the last three main titles have been duds. They sold enough to turn a profit, but somehow it always bit SE in the butt. How do they keep failing at the last three main entries?

Edit: XIV was obvious because Crystal Tools was a failure of an engine and not meant for MMOs, but how did the other two bring about great success the first time around then failure when they tried to build upon it more? How?

Last edited:

Xblade13

Awards
XIV had its rocky start, but A Realm Reborn relaunch/2.0 onwards have been absolutely fantastic. I'd consider the current version a success, and proof that Yoshi P knows his stuff. Hence why he is in the producer seat for XVI. They're probably shaping him up to replace the hole Tabatha left as a mainline Final Fantasy director step by step.

For some reason people seem to assume XVI will be a live service game though, when we have absolutely no concrete evidence pointing to it. Day one patch, probably. A DLC or two? Possibly. Maybe a side online aspect that counts as "live service" ala Comrades? Maybe. But the main game seems to be a fairly focused single player Final Fantasy story first and foremost.

Back