• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Some don't want Disney in the next Kingdom Hearts games anymore

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
I wouldn't mind this IF the absence is part of the narrative. As in, if the lack of Disney is to make a point or juxtaposition then it would be pretty brave to do for a single entry in the series.

If it's just "ew Disney is for kids get it out" then yes. Fringe opinion not worth giving time to.

Chie

Awards
Try not to get mad about a clickbait article you found on the Internet, maybe?

I don't want Disney in anything, ever. But their 200 billion dollars isn't going anywhere just because I said that online.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
What's that?

As in if a KH title uses the absence of Disney characters and tone to create a contrast with previous games. Juxtaposition is putting to things next to each other that are completely different to make a point or draw attention to something.

Just a very simplistic example that came to my head: If a game has Sora travelling through a very unfamiliar world where the characters aren't the Disney ones he knows but completely different or uncanny replacements that create a sense of unease.

The juxtaposition here would be these new characters and how they contrast with the old ones from previous games.

This is something Nomura went for in the epilogue/secret ending of KH3 and the Yozora fight. Sora's in a very unfamiliar world but to us it's not that unfamiliar at all. In fact it's a bit too similar to our own real world that we escaped from when playing KH. The realism and familiarity for us players gives us a sense unease, whereas the foreignness and unfamiliarity for Sora is what makes him uneasy.

Awards
There are many different reasons.

Some want no Disney cuz they think it holds the series back.

Others believe that if Disney were gone, there'd be more FF.

And yes there are people who think "Disney for kids ew" and only want it out for that reason.

And finally the biggest of all is that Disney Corporate is a soulless empire that no one wants to see in anything and the only reason Disney owns KH at all is cuz their toys are in it due to them fucking up public domain just to keep Mickey.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I click the article and it was just somebody blaming the Disney elements for why they didn't enjoy Kingdom Hearts III.
I don't want disney either after it was 90% of KH3. but it will never happen anyway.
The Disney world's were the best integrated in the series to date. Sure, it sucks that Disney boss battles were minimal but the ones that were there were memorable and cinematic battles.

The original story after the Disney world visit is decisive for a multitude of reasons but you absolutely can't blame that on Disney.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
I can't help but wonder how these guys will react when the next game comes out and Disney is just as much a part of the games as it always was. These people seem to building up this idea of what the next ge will be and I think they are going to be very disappointed when it doesn't turn out how they think it will.

D

Deleted member 246005

It's not an uncommon opinion or even a new opinion.

KH came out when I was 11 years old and Disney has always been seen as a lesser aspect of the franchise.

It is what it is.

Kh3 had the right idea so just do that better. More original plots for the Disney Worlds and have the Disney worlds connect more to what's going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vulpes XIII

Awards
What I want is a game that prioritises KH characters and their stories.I don’t have anything against Disney characters appearing in games in fact I do like the Disney elements but if they are stopping the story and characters from progressing at a decent rate then I don’t want them. However Disney not being relevant in a Kingdom Hearts game will never happen.

The best we can hope for is Disney agreeing to revert back to something along the lines of how Disney worlds worked in Kingdom Hearts 2 as I actually thought that was a good balance between Disney and Kingdom Hearts worlds.

Disney will always have a presence in Kingdom Hearts whether we want it to or not as considering Kingdom Hearts was designed to be a crossover between Disney and Final Fantasy It wouldn’t be Kingdom Hearts anymore if one of the franchises weren’t there.

Last edited:

AegisXIII

Awards
I think it's more about Disney being a crazy control freak with its properties. Disney worlds are fine. But the general feeling on KH3 was that Disney was too controlling up to the point to rewrite Arendel initial script to make it less ambitious and more mainstream. Rumors were that Larxene labyrinth was supposed to be Elsa's castle after she fell into darkness. The boss also was supposed to be from Elsa's magic, not Hans.
Is it true? I don't know. But we all felt that the xehanort saga and the original worlds were not the main focus and people blame Disney. Now with Remind, it's much better.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Honestly I dread a game without any Disney properties. Not that the original world's and characters can't be engaging but Disney worlds are a big reason why I'm invested. Even if the Disney company has become more restrictive as of recently

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The problem isn’t Disney worlds in KH, but corporate Disney’s vice grip on anything related to their properties.

If they were not as restrictive, then things would be a bit better. KH1 is a prime example of what can be done without stringent rules. Even back then KH could have still done so much more with the concept and can still do more now.

Chie

Awards
It also helps that the majority of earlier Disney worlds don't really have to be Disney-branded to have the same content, because they are mostly based on Disney movies which themselves were directly based on fairy tales, children's literature and mythology. Which is a much more appropriate theme to Kingdom Hearts as a work than "things owned by this one arbitrary company".

There's a lot more to say about this that I should probably save for a place where people would see it.

Back