• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

ReSET The World

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I have no interest in the series dropping SDG or Sora's deuteragonist, Riku. I'd much rather Nomura get back to basics and do away with what's superfluous rather than copping out, he barely showed interest in the extraneous characters in 3 where they actually were necessary.

And, tbh, I think that's more likely from what we know so far between Riku and Sora over in Quadratum in 3's ending scene, and Donald & Goofy searching for a way to him in the 4 trailer. I don't think he'll be in Quadratum forever though, whether we're talking about KH4 itself or post-4 games.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Was it???

Some of the secret reports, which are postgame only, are very reliant on it. But the main story??? Everything from the X time period that appeared in KH3 was covered in X Back Cover, which was part of the collection of "things that lead up to kh3", as well as something players would actually be expected to watch like every other full KH work (i.e. not cutscenes of an abusive gacha game). In fact, most of it was only in X Back Cover and not really explained in X/UX at all. Meanwhile Subject X's connection to any of this stuff is not established until the secret reports, and on its own is an answer to a long-unresolved xehanort saga plot point.

I don't get how these are unresolved. What is there to "resolve" about nobodies? They're normal people, this was thoroughly explained. Xehanort explained how he time traveled in the first game it was introduced, and now he's dead. Keyblades... are the central symbol of the entire series so I think "resolving" keyblades would end the series completely.
The whole Girl X storyline - which basically watered down Axel/Saix's storyline from what we knew by forcing in that character (highly likely to be Skuld). I like that this KHUX character was added into their storyline, but I don't think THIS was the game to add her into it. Instead of building on Axel abandoning Saix for Roxas/Xion, they added in Girl X as well which didn't do anything to enhance that plot, but build to the future (and take away from the current plot).

Nobodies being a thing opens up a can of worms for future installments. So does time travel. I'd assume any keyblade wielder had a "strong heart", so if they lose their heart then the question floating over that incident will always be "where is their nobody"? Time travel being so messy in the series also opens up the question: why doesn't Character X just time travel?

Keyblades need more explaining like where does Mickey "power up" his keyblade, where did Kairi get hers from, where did Riku get his new one from, what is handing out keyblades to people? One story element that I actually think could be intriguing and build upon KHUX's plot of all the keyblade wielders dying out and essentially becoming extinct would actually be the trend of keyblades being handed out in recent games. It could be whatever the source of keyblades trying to repopulate the worlds with keyblade wielders now that Xehanort is gone. I think there's a story there that could be told, but Nomura never goes deeper into the nature of keyblades or why there are periods of time in the series with LOTS of wielders (KHUX) and barely any (KHBbS to present).

Dudes be like "Here's what SHOULD happen in Kingdom Hearts: (posts fanfic)"

I am going to be so genuinely angry and mad and embarrassed if someone finds an example of me doing this years ago to own me
Where the hell did I say that this SHOULD happen in KH? I said that I think the KH series would do well with a reset to help usher in the new saga without the baggage from the old one. We already saw the problems KH3 had trying to deal with its own loose ends, so what would make KH4's storyline more streamlined with all this stuff from the Dark Seeker Saga still unresolved?

Honestly, this type of response is why no one is posting on here. Back in the day, people actually were willing to post theories and engage the community with ideas. But nowadays, there are people like you that will condemn and shame people for suggesting ideas/theories and gatekeeping what KH should be. You disagree about a reset in the series, that's fine, but don't make some sly comment basically saying that it's embarrassing that I posted my idea.

Maybe you don't stand by what you post and would feel embarrassed by something you posted years ago, but I will stand by my post regardless of whether you think it's embarrassing or not that I came up with an idea for discussion. Obviously what I posted isn't exactly what I would do if I were in control of KH, let alone I might not even do it at all if I were in control of KH. The point of the post was a discussion on whether people think a reset is a good idea and I gave an example I whipped up in like 5 minutes to create a visual to go along with it.

But thank you for your comment and adding to the discussion.
Or they could just have an alternate universe that is its own canon. No need to do some weird reset thing and have only Sora, Aqua, Kairi, and Mickey (why you chose these four out of everybody else, I do not understand).

An alternate universe with new characters would be the best refresh for the series if you are talking about "resetting" things.
I chose them because I can't see them without keyblades (not sure what weapon any of them would use). But anyway, I like the idea of an alternate universe with fresh stories - which is what Quadratum could be. However, I feel like Nomura would be too tempted to cross-over and connect them.

The main reason why I think a reset is necessary is because there is way too much to explain away now. If the next game happens and there's a huge portion of the cast missing, logically everyone would ask "why didn't they help?" Nomura went out of his way to make characters locked away, sleeping, possessed etc. in the Dark Seeker Saga to explain their absence, but now that they're all freed, now what? Is he always going to have to use at least 10 characters (Sora, Riku, Kairi, Aqua, Terra, Ven, Roxas, Axel, Xion, and Mickey) every story? Or will he have to explain them away every time?

Chie

Awards
Instead of building on Axel abandoning Saix for Roxas/Xion, they added in Girl X as well which didn't do anything to enhance that plot, but build to the future (and take away from the current plot).
Axel and Saix having a plan they joined the Organization to enact, which Axel later abandoned FOR Roxas and Xion, has been an established mystery since Days. The idea that it involved another person seems fairly logical to me, because it explains why Saix would be mad at Axel making new friends. I don't know if Saix would have felt quite so abandoned otherwise; there's no reason the four of them couldn't have been friends, but Saix wasn't friendly with even Axel at this point, because he had put all that aside for the sake of The Plan. That this third party ends up being from the X era doesn't change any of that, that's just the details being filled in to an already implied story, and only in postgame text files.

E: It also makes it a parallel to Sora/Riku/Kairi! Riku wasn't just mad that Sora had "replaced" him, but in doing so, Sora had somehow stopped caring about Sora, Riku and KAIRI. And Kairi and Subject X were both used as test subjects in Radiant Garden's castle...

Time travel being so messy in the series also opens up the question: why doesn't Character X just time travel?
You can't change time, so why would they? Xehanort time traveling and trapping himself in paradox loops says massive amounts about him as a character. He ruins his own life (multiple times over!!) by forcing every version of himself to be part of one shitty plan, and believes this to be the right thing to do the entire time because he's 100% assured that he's the protagonist of this story. It's tragic. While the kind of time travel that does change the past kills Sora later down the line because it's not supposed to happen. Also tragic. In both cases, the consequence of time travel says something contrasting about the character in question, which also explains why nobody has any reason to do it again.

or why there are periods of time in the series with LOTS of wielders (KHUX) and barely any (KHBbS to present).
I'm sure Missing Link will give more details on this, but to me this is an extremely self-evident theme that he's spending a lot of time going into, because we literally see them diminish generation by generation from Dark Road to BbS to KH1, and why! We merely have to fill in the time between Missing Link and Dark Road with the same gradual decrease, which has been shown in Dark Road and BbS to be largely caused by keyblade society's own faults. Again, Missing Link will probably tell us exactly what happened, but we have plenty of examples already to fill in the blanks ourselves.

I also think your interest in the source of keyblades might be a bit misguided - you suggest Kingdom Hearts grants it to wielders in your OP, but keyblades were seemingly invented to fight over Kingdom Hearts! It probably wants nothing to do with those things, right? There might be more about keyblades if we find out more about MoM's backstory, but besides the single scene that talks about that, it seems that MoM showed people how to make them and began a lineage of masters having the societal authority to pass the right to wield one down to their students, and so on and so on until today. The Kingdom Key D is pretty weird, but since MoM was said to extract them from peoples hearts, I would guess they're all extracted from hearts in some way or another. Maybe the Kingdom Key D was extracted from Destiny Islands' heart when it fell to darkness.

Last edited:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Axel and Saix having a plan they joined the Organization to enact, which Axel later abandoned FOR Roxas and Xion, has been an established mystery since Days. The idea that it involved another person seems fairly logical to me, because it explains why Saix would be mad at Axel making new friends. I don't know if Saix would have felt quite so abandoned otherwise; there's no reason the four of them couldn't have been friends, but Saix wasn't friendly with even Axel at this point, because he had put all that aside for the sake of The Plan. That this third party ends up being from the X era doesn't change any of that, that's just the details being filled in to an already implied story, and only in postgame text files.

E: It also makes it a parallel to Sora/Riku/Kairi! Riku wasn't just mad that Sora had "replaced" him, but in doing so, Sora had somehow stopped caring about Sora, Riku and KAIRI. And Kairi and Subject X were both used as test subjects in Radiant Garden's castle...
The Subject X reveal was incredibly sloppy though and doesn't feel at all what they were building the Axel and Saix goal to be previously. Personally I do think Saix would have acted exactly the same without Subject X because that is what his character has been depicted as before KH3. He came off unfriendly, controlling and always tries to limit Axel's interactions to only himself even when trying to make friends with Ventus back in BBS. And it came to a boiling point when Axel made real friends in the Organization. The four of them could never have been friends because Saix was bigoted and abusive towards Xion specifically and Roxas would never stand for it. But instead of actually fleshing out this story and Saix/Isa's flaws as a human being they add Subject X to try and get the "Riku" sympathy for him in that he had a noble cause all along, to make the redemption easier to swallow. Even though none of his actions in Days and KH2 reflect it. They should have just stuck with the "longing for a heart" situation he had going on in retrospect.

I'm not against adding a new character to a establish dynamic. Heck, that's Xion's deal and she's one of my favorite characters. But this late into the story for a situation like that? They don't even use memory nonsense to explain why they never speak of her, and Axel is clearly not motivated by saving her in any of the old games. Subject X should have been associated with another story rather then this one.

Chie

Awards
Well yeah, of course Axel wasn't motivated in saving her; 9 years pass between when they had made the plan and when we pick up on them again. Axel learned how to make new memories and experiences while Saix was so stuck on this thing from his childhood that he completely stagnated, which is probably why he was considered a top vessel pick, thus making Axel and Saix perfect contrasting examples of people handling having become "nobodies".

Idk, it all weaves a thematic grid to me. Again, the specifics of Subject X don't even come up at all for everything I just said, because this dynamic of Saix holding onto a plan from years ago that Axel no longer cared about was already there in Days. So, say the plan didn't involve a third party... what are the other options, and do they change our interpretation at all? I think most people assumed it was just "take over the organization", but that would be weird for a number of reasons (the timeline works out that they were still kids*, also it doesn't really say anything about them as people, just continuing the general organization backstabbery). Is there something else it would be that wouldn't seem "new" when revealed? (I've seen people insist that they should have been trying to save Kairi instead because it would be much tidier, and recontextualize Axel and Kairi's friendship. Of course this doesn't solve everyone's issues...)

*You could say them being young at the time isn't implied before 3, but this is another process of elimination thing... once we get to BBS it's established they were already in Radiant Garden, so they would have either lost their hearts when Maleficent attacked, and were probably recruited not too long afterwards, or they somehow escaped it in an unsaid way different than the FF crew and then lost their hearts years later. Which would be much less elegant than Subject X!

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Well yeah, of course Axel wasn't motivated in saving her; 9 years pass between when they had made the plan and when we pick up on them again. Axel learned how to make new memories and experiences while Saix was so stuck on this thing from his childhood that he completely stagnated, which is probably why he was considered a top vessel pick, thus making Axel and Saix perfect contrasting examples of people handling having become "nobodies".

Idk, it all weaves a thematic grid to me. Again, the specifics of Subject X don't even come up at all for everything I just said, because this dynamic of Saix holding onto a plan from years ago that Axel no longer cared about was already there in Days. So, say the plan didn't involve a third party... what are the other options, and do they change our interpretation at all? I think most people assumed it was just "take over the organization", but that would be weird for a number of reasons (the timeline works out that they were still kids*, also it doesn't really say anything about them as people, just continuing the general organization backstabbery). Is there something else it would be that wouldn't seem "new" when revealed? (I've seen people insist that they should have been trying to save Kairi instead because it would be much tidier, and recontextualize Axel and Kairi's friendship. Of course this doesn't solve everyone's issues...)

*You could say them being young at the time isn't implied before 3, but this is another process of elimination thing... once we get to BBS it's established they were already in Radiant Garden, so they would have either lost their hearts when Maleficent attacked, and were probably recruited not too long afterwards, or they somehow escaped it in an unsaid way different than the FF crew and then lost their hearts years later. Which would be much less elegant than Subject X!
I've seen that Kairi theory too. That wouldn't have been better, especially since Kairi's been living happily on Destiny Islands for years, and just makes the goal look kind of dumb considering how often they run into Kairi or one of her clones.

To be honest I think this is just a storyline Nomura was never really invested in, and if he was he lost interest in it and by the time of KH3 he had so many new ideas that this one needed a quick wrap up and this is why Subject X feels very last minute. It's a easy way to introduce a new character he's clearly interested in while keeping a fan favorite (Axel) on stand by should they want to use him, and he can bring his friends along.

Back