• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official Voice Actor Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
So a Disney Princess Lego special went up on Disney+ last month and this month's update to Dreamlight Valley* had Mandy Moore reprise her role as Rapunzel for both pieces of media.

I am so, so, so curious as to what prevented her in 2018 from reprising Rapunzel for Kingdom Hearts 3. If This Is Us took her time away, how did they not find time during her recording for Tangled the Series as those were happening concurrently and therefore there should have been a day or two she would have been free to make some extra cash. Does she hate Kingdom Hearts? Was Aerith a dream role that she landed then had ripped away from her and she swore a vendetta against the series? Does she not agree with a teenage boy using a key to beat up monsters?

WHAT'S THE REASON, MANDY MOORE!? WHY DO YOU NOT LET US ENJOY YOUR WORK IN THIS GAME AFTER 2002!?

*Rapunzel wasn't added but the credits were updated to include her name, showing that she reprised the role for an upcoming update that will add Rapunzel.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Y’know, I was always curious about that too. Of all the FF characters reintroduced in KH2, only Selphie and Cloud were brought back to reprise from KH1. Most of the FF7 characters that came back were played by the actors reprising from the Advent Children movie with the exception of Yuffie.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I fully understand the team at Square Enix re-evaluating the FF voice cast in 2005 when coming into the era of voice work, and with Advent Children on the rise, and I understand their desire to recast Mandy if she was unavailable (which of course lead Aerith to be voiced by Mena Suvari and then Andrea Bowen which included III Remind) but even then, why say no to KHIII but yes to all these other bits of media.

WaltK

Awards
I am still convinced that there was a last minute scramble going on there to get Rapunzel a VA for KH3. Back when the trailers were coming out in both English and Japanese, something that always stuck out to me was how any scenes with Rapunzel had her completely silent in the English version, whereas the Japanese versions had her fully voiced.

It's almost as if the casting people were banking on Mandy being on board, only to be left high and dry.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I will say, as someone who's usually a stickler for this kinda thing, the actress that played Rapunzel was DEAD ON in KH3, it was an extremely solid impression. If anything, Zachary Levi sounded less like Eugene than he ought to have. I didn't watch the TV show front to back, but his take on the character seems to have changed a lot over the years. He sounded like a regular dude in Tangled, but his KH3 performance was so over the top that it really took me out.

Reactions: Raz

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I will say, as someone who's usually a stickler for this kinda thing, the actress that played Rapunzel was DEAD ON in KH3, it was an extremely solid impression. If anything, Zachary Levi sounded less like Eugene than he ought to have. I didn't watch the TV show front to back, but his take on the character seems to have changed a lot over the years. He sounded like a regular dude in Tangled, but his KH3 performance was so over the top that it really took me out.
She was excellent. So much so that I was fully convinced Mandy was back because, when compared to the show, it sounded just like her.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
He sounded like a regular dude in Tangled, but his KH3 performance was so over the top that it really took me out.
I’m guessing it was a direction choice if anything. Maybe they asked him to try and match the energy of the seiyuu, which is ironic considering Levi voiced Eugene first.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

It's a good thing the only PotC movies left for KH to cover are ones that she either isn't in or is barely in.

I'm not sure what argument is being made here but she and every other actor already own the rights to their own likenesses -- unless they'd been signed away, which those deals have to go out of their way to do.

In any case. Square and Disney had to pay for using the likenesses of those characters in both KH2 and KH3. There's literally no change.

PikaPal

Awards
Gotta say I was so happy for Barrett Leddy (Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh) voicing Iago in that Lego Disney Princess special.

I will absoutley miss Gilbert Gottfried a hell of a lot but I can't think of anyone better than him taking on that role.

Wouldn't mind if he becomes his new VA from here on out.

WaltK

Awards
Gotta say I was so happy for Barrett Leddy (Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh) voicing Iago in that Lego Disney Princess special.

I will absoutley miss Gilbert Gottfried a hell of a lot but I can't think of anyone better than him taking on that role.

Wouldn't mind if he becomes his new VA from here on out.
I honestly mostly forgot about that special as soon as I finished watching it, including that Iago was even in it.

I'll have to cycle back to remind myself what he sounded like.

WaltK

Awards
A few stray casting observations from Once Upon a Studio:

-Our own Richard Epcar was cast as, of all characters, Little John from Robin Hood. At any rate, I'm a little surprised they didn't have Little John share a voice with Baloo (who's voiced by Jim Cummings), since they are basically the same character.

-Alan Tudyk voices the Mad Hatter. This brings his career to a nice full circle, since he based his voice for King Candy/Turbo on him.

-Another KH alum, Keith Ferguson, takes over as Prince Charming.

-Iago has another new voice actor, different from the one from the LEGO special above. He's voiced here by Piotr Michael (who, incidentally, was also in KH3 as Sarge in Toy Box).

-Speaking of KH regulars with new voices; Merlin is voiced by Jim Meskimen rather than Jeff Bennett.

-Cogsworth gets his first new voice since DOS's passing; he's now played by Bob Joles, the guy who plays Man Ray on SpongeBob SquarePants. I just find that really amusing.

-Snow White gets her third new voice actor since BbS. It's funny how Disney are capable of keeping some of their legacy character voices consistent, but not the voice of their first heroine.

palizinhas

Awards
After Once Upon a Studio I'm hoping Chris takes over for Mickey in KH, he has a bigger range as Mickey and since they're willing to use him instead of Bret Iwan in projects outside of the Paul Rudish shorts I think he'd do better as the King.

WaltK

Awards
As Antifa Lockhart pointed out, Chris is used for whenever they want to evoke Walt's old performance; in the Paul Rudish shorts because they're purposefully retro, and here because this Mickey has literally been pulled straight from one of those old shorts (Mickey's Birthday Party).

That being said, Chris more or less proved with this short that he can evoke "sweet, wholesome, humble" Mickey just as well as "rambunctious, mischievous" Mickey.

Last edited:
Back