• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► 2 huge irrelevant dilema

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Well, not huge.

Alright, #1. I need advice on how to get a job. I've applied at a couple places already, but I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to go about any of this.
Like, is it better to be honest, or to lie your ass off to look better.
The ideal physical appearance to get job? Hair is like at shoulders. Too long to be taken serious?
What kind of things should I talk about in an interview? My grades are barely satisfactory, but I do have awards and such that show above average academic succession (I love knowledge; hate work). Should I present/talk about any of those?

#2. I need to decide betwen Little Big Plant 2, Mortal Kombat, or Deathly Hallows Part 2 Midnight Opening tickets. I'M SO CONFUSED PEOPLE! D:

Anti_Terra122

dont know about number 1 but # 2 i choose MK. get lbp2 later and for the moive get it when it comes out so you can watch it over and over again!

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
#1- Being honest is better in the long run, but don't tell them anything you don't have to and is irrelevant to you getting the job. Cut your hair. At least for me, cutting my hair has made me more liked by the adults around me and taken more seriously as opposed to when I had long hair. I've never been in an interview but I assume one would just talk about anything relevant to the job and anything that would get on the employer's good side, or something he likes so he can like you. The grades could be a problem since I would personally hire the one with better grades but if like I said if they don't ask about your grades don't say anything about them.

#2- LBP2 because Harry Potter will be playing all summer so you won't have to wait to long as opposed to the time you would be missing out on the game. At least that's what I think.

Good luck.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
1. Being honest of course, but phrase the truth to make yourself sound intriguing. Like (this is probably the most used example ever), if you've used Microsoft Word often in the past and are comfortable with it and understand it's functions, say "I have XXX hours of experience with Microsoft Word creating -example- and -another example-." Cutting your hair would grant you more points with adults, like Guard said. As for clothes, it depends on where you're applying. For the most part, a button up shirt with a collar (like a polo or something) and jeans are acceptable. Regarding grades, again, it varies from employer to employer, but if you're still in school, normally they'll understand. And sure, talk about your achievements.

2. LBP2. Not much point to going to a midnight screening of a movie. It's not like that's the only time it'll be available in theaters.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Thought I'd say this:
I'm trying to get hired at a shoe store (Footstar) as a Sales Associate (person who stands around and helps customers).
I have an interview sometime next week, or at least that's what I was told by the person who called.

I'm reluctant to get a hair cut, but I will. I'll get it cut to where it's covering my ears, and covers my eyes. That way, when I part my hair, it'll seem shorter, only covering my forehead. I'm not going any shorter than that.

Also, is volunteer work mentioning a plus?

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
Thought I'd say this:
I'm trying to get hired at a shoe store (Footstar) as a Sales Associate (person who stands around and helps customers).
I have an interview sometime next week, or at least that's what I was told by the person who called.

I'm reluctant to get a hair cut, but I will. I'll get it cut to where it's covering my ears, and covers my eyes. That way, when I part my hair, it'll seem shorter, only covering my forehead. I'm not going any shorter than that.

Dude, Just cut it short, It seems guy just grow their hair out just so they can refuse to cut it and seem cool.

and yes, if it comes up, its a big plus, just don't bring up the volunteer work topic yourself.

Mythological Omega

the arsenal of megadeth
1. Yes, get a haircut. If you have a beard/facial hair, shave it the night before the interview. As Sign said, a polo shirt and jeans are acceptable for an interview. Don't outright lie, but don't sell yourself short either. They might ask you, "What would you do in -situation-" or "How have you dealt with difficult coworkers (volunteers, in your experiences) in the past?" Just phrase your answers in ways that put you in a pastoral light.

2. LBP2.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, definitely cut your hair. You'll be more respected for it, and after you get the job you can let it grow out (but a lot of jobs have a dress code and generally wish for you to keep your hair as short as possible)

For the interview, they generally as questions like "What times have you shown maturity/responsibility?" "What are you good at?" (which is a good time to tell them you are responsible, a quick thinker, good with people...but don't lie. If you don't have certain skills, don't try and say you do. It will bite you in the ass later on.) "How do you work in a group environment?" Then it depends on who is interviewing you.

My first boss interviewed me on a exercise ball and asked me how my summer vacation was, then we started talking about how she knew the guy who ran Warped Tour (because I told her I just came from the last day of the tour just that weekend)...so yeah. That was an isolated experience and rarely happens.

But it is definitely best to be honest. They do look into things and test your skill level (before they train you to do the work they want you to do) so the more honest you are, the more receptive your boss or supervisor will be.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Thought I'd say this:

Oh man if you get a discount on kicks hit me up lol.

Also, cut your hair a little shorter than that. Longer hair on guys seems to be considered juvenile (ikr?) Lastly, volunteer work is ALWAYS a good thing, just don't rub it in their face.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Yeah, definitely cut your hair. You'll be more respected for it, and after you get the job you can let it grow out (but a lot of jobs have a dress code and generally wish for you to keep your hair as short as possible)

For the interview, they generally as questions like "What times have you shown maturity/responsibility?" "What are you good at?" (which is a good time to tell them you are responsible, a quick thinker, good with people...but don't lie. If you don't have certain skills, don't try and say you do. It will bite you in the ass later on.) "How do you work in a group environment?" Then it depends on who is interviewing you.

My first boss interviewed me on a exercise ball and asked me how my summer vacation was, then we started talking about how she knew the guy who ran Warped Tour (because I told her I just came from the last day of the tour just that weekend)...so yeah. That was an isolated experience and rarely happens.

But it is definitely best to be honest. They do look into things and test your skill level (before they train you to do the work they want you to do) so the more honest you are, the more receptive your boss or supervisor will be.

That's kind of an awesome interview lol.
I know the Manager isn't what people might call "up tight" as I talked to him for a while already. He was late twenties/early thirities in age, so I don't think I have to, I guess, worry much...

Crap. Got a message from my Churches minister when I got home from school today. Apparantly a guy from the church he used to work at wants to meet me for lunch sometime for a possible chance of working to set up and sometimes work Sound Systems within various churches...
If I somehow get the job at the shoe store, is it considered quiting if I move to a different job?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
That's kind of an awesome interview lol.
I know the Manager isn't what people might call "up tight" as I talked to him for a while already. He was late twenties/early thirities in age, so I don't think I have to, I guess, worry much...

Crap. Got a message from my Churches minister when I got home from school today. Apparantly a guy from the church he used to work at wants to meet me for lunch sometime for a possible chance of working to set up and sometimes work Sound Systems within various churches...
If I somehow get the job at the shoe store, is it considered quiting if I move to a different job?

I'd honestly do both. You won't be working the Sound at various churches all of the time, unlike working at a shoe store which is a pretty stable job. You'll have flexible hours because you are a student, so if you tell them about having another "job" they can work around your schedule. If you have a good boss, that is. Which it looks like you will...

And yes, it would be quitting if you start working at the shoe store then stop. But if you don't accept the job, you are just passing it up.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
1) Don't lie; just stretch the truth. When I applied for jobs last summer, I always stretched the truth in regards to the community service I do. I didn't lie: I actually did the community service, but I would say things to over-glorify myself. And you need to do that if you want to get the job.

Go ahead and get a haircut. Make sure you look clean and proper, but don't overdo it. But if you're not sure, it's better to overdress than to underdress.

In regards to your achievements, that's a tricky one. They probably have your resume, right? On some, you're able to list your strong points. However, personal interviews give you a better opportunity to convey yourself to the person you're speaking to. Even if you get C's or D's in school, you can still get a job by showing how conversational and approachable you are. Don't tense up, and show that you can casually talk with your interviewer.

2) I'm going to go with Little Big Planet 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back