• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

358/2 Days: What am I missing?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I feel Roxas learned more from Axel than he did from Xion, there was absolutely no need for her, and whatever he did learn from her, he could have learned from Axel.
The series worked fine without her, adding her in just made it more complicated for no reason.

That's a tad like saying you don't want the series to expand, though. If there are going to be more Kingdom Hearts games, the story and universe need to be fleshed out. You could say the series works fine without npcs, but even though they don't necessarily contribute anything to the story, their presence makes their worlds more believable. You could also say the series worked fine without Roxas, but then we wouldn't have been presented with all of the little intricacies he added to the series, and the same applies to any original, Disney, or Square character as well.

Xion validates her appearance in numerous ways, but here's a few off the top of my head:

• She gives Vexen and his Replica Program some weight, insinuating the brains behind the operation were not as incompetent as some members believed.
  • She was one of the "many roads" Xemnas had left open to utilize a Keyblade for his desires should the project at Castle Oblivion and Roxas fail him.
  • She befriends Roxas and Axel and helps strengthen a sense of normalcy and purpose outside of working for the Organization.
  • She forces Roxas to do some self-examination. The similarities between the two friends make him question his existence and right to live as a separate identity.
Also, I really didn't give two licks about Roxas in KH2, and then I played Days. Xion supplements his story and character growth rather nicely.

Commander Corn

i felt the gameplay was awful (although to be fair I was so critically under-leveled that I had to use an AR just to finish the game.) but in the story and character department it is possibly the best of the whole series.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I've always liked Roxas very much as a character. He clearly shows that you don't need a loud and obnoxious character in order to make him interesting. I personally like the quiet, silent type like he is.

Blobbit

Awards
I would have to say that DDD redeemed Days in a way. Before playing DDD, Days seemed a bit pointless, but after DDD you realize how important it actually was, and how important the characters are to the plot. I agree on how people don't like the gameplay(missions got VERY tedious at points, I especially hated the one with the huge green heartless that flies around Wonderland), but the story was definitely very amazing to me, and had some of the best moments in KH. Days even had my favorite scene of the entire series. The amount of emotion in the game is beautiful, even though cutscenes are scarce. I feel like a remake for 3DS, PSP or PS3 or whatever would be BEAUTIFUL and definitely redeem the game.

axel95

Awards
I thought that Days was OK. It's not a bad game at all. But compared to the other games in the series, it's about fifth or sixth on my list. The story is kind of slow, but it really picks up at the end. The panel system isn't the best, but I kind of liked it. More VA cutscenes would have been nice. They could have taken about 25 missions out of it and I would have enjoyed it more, as would a lot of people.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Sorry if this isn't the right place. I'm new here but I really just had to get a community opinion on this.

A while ago, I got 358/2 Days on an impulse while in a game store in the mall. I figured that since I was a fan of the series and had played the first two games and CoM, I would be able to grasp the story and would get in some fun gameplay.

To make a long story short, I hate it. The worlds are boring because they're just the worlds from KH I and II with some areas blocked off. Roxas is completely bland (even though I know he's supposed to be that way due to the story) and I find it really hard to care about him. The panel system enrages me and I can't even seem to get some usefulness out of it like I did with the card system.

I'm really glad I picked up a cheap PSP and Birth By Sleep or else I would've lost all hope in the series. After playing through Terra's story in BBS, I thought I might've gotten over whatever made me hate 358/2 Days, but the game seems even worse now because I see none of the fun gameplay that I experience in BBS.

Still, this game gets glowing reviews and I just want to know why. How long do I have to slog through side missions before I find the fun gameplay and interesting story the reviews have promised? How long does Roxas remain a silent, emotionless blob? Seriously, if he had 1/10th the charm and spirit Ventus has, I would probably play it, but right now I'm finding it hard to get through even one mission in this game.

tl;dr What makes this game so great?

Thank you for reading this babbling post. I really am looking for suggestions so please help me convince myself so I don't miss something special.
You obviously had higher expectations than a lot of people here. we all knew it wasnt a main title, so there wasnt really going to be any new worlds, and the missions are repetitive, but mostly skippable. The panel system is unfortunately limiting but at least excercises strategic thinking skills. Gameplay is very repetitive, but Story actually is pretty strong. If I had to make any comparisons to movies, I would say Days is a lot like one of those oscar-bait dramas-lots of conversations, the events building towards the end, and of course an overall self-contained feel(but still important)-but dont get me wrong, there is good information relevant to the series. Discussion about what might be hidden in CO, the two chambers, complications in Sora's recovery.

but yes unfortunately, gameplay kinda brings it down.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Vəntus;5894877 said:
The only way 358/2 Days would ever become a good game is if it were remade for 3DS or PS Vita. Because the graphics alone would make up for what it was when it was released on the DS.

No it wouldnt. It would still be 3D graphics, and have repetitive gameplay structure. No offense, but if you're not gonna improve the *gameplay*, then how do you improve a *game*? and besides, saying the DS made the graphics bad is like a PC gamer moaning over the 260 and PS3 games weighing down their favorite platform, only a little less immature. Graphics quality should always be judged taking into account the capabilities and limitations of the hardware, and comparing to other software titles on that hardware.

Rexy

Bronze Member
No it wouldnt. It would still be 3D graphics, and have repetitive gameplay structure. No offense, but if you're not gonna improve the *gameplay*, then how do you improve a *game*? and besides, saying the DS made the graphics bad is like a PC gamer moaning over the 260 and PS3 games weighing down their favorite platform, only a little less immature. Graphics quality should always be judged taking into account the capabilities and limitations of the hardware, and comparing to other software titles on that hardware.

If they really make Kingdom Hearts Re:358/2Days (kidding), a remake of Days I really hope they could make it this way (sorry for putting here a thread started by me but please read my Ideas):
I think this could've worked better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back