• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

3D Realms shutting down?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

very differentiable
Awards
Another developer might pick it up to finish it, although i didn't have the idea that it would get finished when i first heard of it.

very differentiable
Awards
True, but they can assign other developers to it, or sell the rights alltogether. Right now, anything can happen.

Shade737

Silver Member
I'm not even surprised. Its like everything is trying to stop this game from being made.

Other various sources of info.

Deep Silver and Apogee Software are not affected by the situation at 3D Realms. Development on the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned.
Source
NeoGAF - View Single Post - RIP Duke Nukem Forever. 3D Realms to close

From a staffer in the 3D Realms forums.

2K still has publishing rights for DNF though so either they release it as it is or give it to another dev studio.

This is really sad though. I know a lot of you only think of 3D Realms as a joke because of Duke Nukem Forever but let's remember their glory days when they, under the name Apogee, practically dominated the platformer business (on PC, sod your silly little ye olde Marios and whatnot) with shitloads of quality. Commander Keens, Crystal Caves, Secret Agent, Cosmo, Biomenace, the original Duke Nukem games, Monster Bash, and countless others. Then they revolutionized the FPS genre with Duke Nukem 3D - many only remember the macho main hero and his jokes but forget the amazing level, weapon and item design that still feel fresh these days because not many games have copied things like Holoduke and Shrink Gun, and (back then) innovative gaming mechanics like jumping and crouching.
Source
3D Realms Forums - View Single Post - Rumors of 3DRealms being no more...

S

Shadow Soldier

Oh please, we shouldn't even be worrying for anything. The guys constantly showed and told us that the next Duke Nukem is coming out, it never did. Good riddance.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
I cried.

But then I realized that Duke Nukem wouldn't want me to cry. He would want me to trudge on and play the next best game.

S

Shadow Soldier

uhh the game didn't disappear, the studio just did. They said they'll still have the DN Trilogy being worked on.

Also, making one game for over a decade isn't exactly business smart.

Wasn't Too Human also worked on for like a decade? And.. well, lets face it, that game is far from being a GOTY or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back