• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A Cost and Reward System in KHIII

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
The folks on Kingdom Hearts Union were discussing this idea on one of their podcasts many years ago, and thinking about Bravely Second made me remember it again.

Because apparently in Bravely Second, unlike the fist game, you actually can't get all of the possible jobs that the game has to offer in it.

Something about being able to choose from two garbs after battles, and the one that you select is the one you keep forever, while the other option is lost to you forever?

This supposedly really changes the game up, and you have to think long and hard about which you think will better aid your particular play style.

And I was wondering if any of you might want something like that brought into KHIII, or any future KH title?

The people on KHUnion had the idea that maybe at the beginning of the game, Sora has a choice between buying from Huey, Dewey, and Louie or the moogles, and whichever you choose is the only place you can buy items for the rest of the game.

Another idea I thought of last night was about choosing between Cid and Gepetto for buying gummi blocks and the like.

But what do you guys think about all this? Would you like more thought and strategy to be put into KH (that could maybe even have a slight story to it, too, if Square decided to go that route)? And if so, how would you like to see it done? What other ideas might you have on how this could be accomplished?:D

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I'm absolutely against not being able to get "everything" in a game. I'm not good at choosing that stuff and always feel like I'm missing out on something even though it's mostly unnecessary stuff.

So, uhm, as Simon Cowell would put it:
It's a no from me. :/

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
I'm absolutely against not being able to get "everything" in a game. I'm not good at choosing that stuff and always feel like I'm missing out on something even though it's mostly unnecessary stuff.

So, uhm, as Simon Cowell would put it:
It's a no from me. :/

That's completely understandable:) And tbh, I'd probably feel the exact same way, because I'm a huge collector in games.

I just mainly brought it up because I thought it would be a neat way to put some strategy into the game (as critics of this series often say that it's nothing more than a button masher), and because the people on KHUnion had said that something like this could be a way to bring in light-hearted politics into KH: something they thought would make the worlds feel more realistic, and give you something to do/consider in the different worlds instead of just killing Heartless there. LOL. But I'm sure there are other ways to go about that complaint, too:D

Anagram

Banned
On the one hand I'm interested in the idea but on the other hand I'd worry it'd hinder the game since SE apparently refuses to put new game+ in these games. ;-;

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Well the issue is your choice has to have some important meaning to the series or it will be pointless to add it, but it can't be too important where people feel they are screwed out of getting something later on.

We already get some form of this whenever we get the dive to the heart and have to pick the sword/shield/staff but at least you still get all the same abilities, just in different order.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
@Anagram Ooh! I hadn't even thought about that! I think a New Game + (if Square Enix were to ever create them for KH. LOL.) would definitely be the best scenario for an idea like this. That way you can end up getting all of the things and be able to experiment with them, just not in the first playthrough.

@Divine Past I was thinking of Dive to the Heart when making this thread, too, as well as the three questions at the start of KH1. So maybe if Square wanted to do something like that again, something which just effects the rate at how you grow, it'd be cool:)

Recon

Art of War
Awards
The folks on Kingdom Hearts Union were discussing this idea on one of their podcasts many years ago, and thinking about Bravely Second made me remember it again.

Because apparently in Bravely Second, unlike the fist game, you actually can't get all of the possible jobs that the game has to offer in it.

Something about being able to choose from two garbs after battles, and the one that you select is the one you keep forever, while the other option is lost to you forever?

This supposedly really changes the game up, and you have to think long and hard about which you think will better aid your particular play style.
I am crushed. If it's going to be like that, then so be it. I will make my decisions based on stats ;~;

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, I don't think I could play Kingdom Hearts with limitations like that. The fun of KH is that you can become an OP beast by the end of the game. I like when games make you choose, but I'm not good with choice.

(And now I'm sitting here groaning over Bravely Second because now life is going to be difficult for me. This is also why I dislike XII International Zodiac Job System to a degree xD)

I'd like something more like KH1's system to make a return, though, but with unique stat boosts (but with the option to increase your stats with Magic UP/Strength UP/Defense UP items)

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I think getting to choose the stat you specialize in more clearly would be good. Kind of like in reCoM where with every level up you could choose between HP, sleights or CP. People have different plastyles and it would be nice to customize your character to support that. You could have a strong glasscannon that can end fights quicker, but dies easily (kind of like KH2FM critical), or a weaker defense tank where the fights last longer but you can afford more mistakes, or a magic build with stronger spells and more MP. Or a balanced one, if you upgrade all stats equally.

yunami5

Awards
On the one hand I'm interested in the idea but on the other hand I'd worry it'd hinder the game since SE apparently refuses to put new game+ in these games. ;-;

3D had new game plus where you get all your dream eaters from the previous save, but that's all I can think of.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
3D had new game plus where you get all your dream eaters from the previous save, but that's all I can think of.

Which was a blessing, but I found it kind of weird that you had to play through the game to get the critical mode. o0

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
You all have brought up some great points! Thanks for posting in this thread, btw!:)

Hmm... a system that isn't too restricting, but still allows for some customization? Perhaps leveling up Keyblades can become a thing again, and we can choose what area we'd like one to specialize in when that happens?

Maybe something like that to bridge the gap?^_^

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
*suddenly hates Bravely Second unless I find out I can get the other Jobs later or on New Game+ in which case I'm okay with it*

We've had some choice before (picking stats in Dive to the Heart, answering questions that you find out years later decided your level growth, winning or losing to Setzer gives you a different equipment) but these choices weren't game-altering decisions (well except maybe the leveling one) you wouldn't lose an ability, it'd just come at a later time.

Choosing between shopkeepers and losing the one not picked on one hand makes the game more...personal I guess would be the word for it, but on the other it's the feeling of not having everything (New Game+ would rectify that though.)

I say I'm all for choice but have what wasn't chosen appear later on.

appleboy82791

Awards
Originally when I thought about it I didn't like the idea of chosing a path and no being able to get stuff from other paths. I really want to be able to get everything completed and get the whole experience in one save file. However, the idea of doing a new game + mechanic kinda intrigues me. I think that might be really fun if done well. As long as in the end I can have one game file with literally everything the game has to offer, then I will be okay with this concept.

But in the end, the safest thing to do would be for KH3 the be structured the same way as KH1 or KH2. I will also be perfectly content without any major structural changes to the established system.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I severely dislike this idea. It fundamentally changes what KH is, and that, especially in the conclusion of a saga like KH3 is, is a big no-no for developers. The choices you make in prevvious KH games include stats and when you get abilities, much like many JRPG's, but nothing was so game changing that it had an effect on the way the game had to be played. It didn't lock you out of content for the entirity of your playthrough. Without a New Game+, I feel it would impair my ability to fully enjoy the game. You could label me not a fan of this one.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I don't think Nomura or Square Enix would risk implementing a system like that for KH3.

Awards
I think that for the most part, some of the Kingdom Hearts games already pertain to such a thing. The Station of Awakening is a great example of this. You get to choose between a sword, a shield and a staff. Whichever you choose determine the increase in your stats as well as which abilities you can get as you level up(e.g you get Scan at level 20 with the sword, but you get it at 30 with the staff.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back