• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A lot of negativity surrounding this game...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Like, I understand people being disappointed that ceetain things didnt happens but I've seen YT videos like "Kingdom Hearts III is Trash" and "Kingdom Hearts 3 III -Why it Sucks. Some it even seems very clickbaity.

I guess it was easy to see after 13 years of waiting. Also, Kingdom Hearts isnt known for having positivity surrounding it when it comes to the rest of the gaming spear. It just sucks that one of my favorite franchises is reduced to a meme and constant negativity from people who think they are above it and look down it and the people who like it

It's not gonna stop me from enjoying the game and I do understand people disapointments but calling this a bad game or even trash seems like a stretch. But opinions are subjective I guess so, what can you do?

I'll keep enjoying Kingdom Hearts for what it is and hoping it can improve on certain things in the future. I believe the franchise has a lot of life left.

LostArtist

Awards
the glass half empty people low-key annoy the heck outta me(or maybe glass fully empty, idk, perhaps these people genuinely like nothing about the game. regardless, they're always negative lmao). Glass half full people are fine.

but even more annoying than the glass half empty people (or fully empty, again sometimes I can't tell with people) are the on-the-hate-bandwagon-people who haven't even seriously tried the series/ tried to get into it.

2 quid is good

Awards
the glass half empty people low-key annoy the heck outta me(or maybe glass fully empty, idk, perhaps these people genuinely like nothing about the game. regardless, they're always negative lmao). Glass half full people are fine.

but even more annoying than the glass half empty people (or fully empty, again sometimes I can't tell with people) are the on-the-hate-bandwagon-people who haven't even seriously tried the series/ tried to get into it.

I definitely see a lot of good in the game. When I got magnet burst for the first time I legit screamed.

However it just... The more I think about it the more good and bad I see. And at points the missing potential just gets me down immensely. I wanted this game to live upto its potential, that's not necessarily negativity.

Thorf

I wanted this game to live upto its potential, that's not necessarily negativity.

Perhaps not, but this attitude seems to be rife in the community, and the result is... Well, what you see on this board and elsewhere.

It's unfortunate, because it means people are judging the game based on their own expectations rather than just taking it for what it is. This is pretty much the definition of the dangers of hype.

To the OP - yes I completely sympathise with you. It's really pretty irritating, and it dissuades me from engaging with the online community. Especially since I'm used to taking part in far more positive communities. It's such a shame that Kingdom Hearts seems to get so little respect even from many of its own fans.

LostArtist

Awards
I definitely see a lot of good in the game. When I got magnet burst for the first time I legit screamed.

However it just... The more I think about it the more good and bad I see. And at points the missing potential just gets me down immensely. I wanted this game to live upto its potential, that's not necessarily negativity.

hahaha it's ok quid
I'm changing it. I should say that glass fully empty are the annoying ones to me, since unlike them I did get enjoyment from this game.

Glass half empty, I understand, because disappointments are really hard to look over. And I get that being glass half full is very hard to do, especially with disappointments. So I change my mind, it's ok if you don't fully express what you liked about the game.
I didn't see you as a glass fully empty person. Because I have seen people who seem very glass fully empty. (everything about the game sucks kinda vibe)

but honestly idk this is a really hard topic to talk about, I'm still thinking about it haha

Neo_

Awards
I used to tell people that other's opinions shouldn't hamper your enjoyment of the game, but I literally understand you guys now with the backlash the Pokémon Evolution trailer is receiving: it's really hard to enjoy something when everyone is just hammering it 24/7.

I enjoy KH3, but the criticism doesn't bother me for some reason... probably because I agree with most of it, but I can still enjoy it.

And yes; YT is flooded with clickbait.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Then feel free to assert your perspective or disengage. I tend to find the apologists for this game just as annoying and aggressive and there are plenty of those on this forum, but we don't have threads every other day bemoaning the state of the fandom because people can't tolerate the criticism this game has more than earned for itself.

snow_flake40

Awards
I'm definitely feeling this haha. Obviously everyone can feel how they want about the game, but having most of the videos in my recommended feed being titled 'Kingdom Hearts 3 Is Garbage' and all now is definitely a downer :')

I feel like this negativity ends up making me more defensive about what I like about the game actually, even though I obviously have issues with it as well.

mriku90

Awards
I'm definitely feeling this haha. Obviously everyone can feel how they want about the game, but having most of the videos in my recommended feed being titled 'Kingdom Hearts 3 Is Garbage' and all now is definitely a downer :')

I feel like this negativity ends up making me more defensive about what I like about the game actually, even though I obviously have issues with it as well.

Just realize the game has a solid B across the internet and all this is a minority opinion and the GA loves the title and all they're doing is trying to click-bait.

People want to see a game that is actual garbage. Look no further then the recently released Anthem and Jump Force.

Shawty

Awards
This is why I'm so glad I got the game days early before the official release (for some reason it released early in Europe), and got to enjoy it without anyone influencing my opinion, I went in completely blind and was able to form my own opinion. It has flaws, some things could've been done better, but did that take away from the great experience I had playing it? No. I couldn't wait to get home every day from uni to play it.
I understand how the constant negativity can negatively impact you as well, but try to take it with a grain of salt. No game is perfect, neither is KH, but that doesn't mean it's not still a super enjoyable experience.

drew0512

Awards
Perhaps not, but this attitude seems to be rife in the community, and the result is... Well, what you see on this board and elsewhere.

It's unfortunate, because it means people are judging the game based on their own expectations rather than just taking it for what it is. This is pretty much the definition of the dangers of hype.

To the OP - yes I completely sympathise with you. It's really pretty irritating, and it dissuades me from engaging with the online community. Especially since I'm used to taking part in far more positive communities. It's such a shame that Kingdom Hearts seems to get so little respect even from many of its own fans.

Exactly this. Way too many people think that a game should cater to their headcanons, which I find a bit... Laughable? But they are free to do what they want, so whatever.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
It's an odd stance to take about why don't people love something as much as I do. Given how the story played out it's pretty reasonable not to think it's the bees knees.

mriku90

Awards
Exactly this. Way too many people think that a game should cater to their headcanons, which I find a bit... Laughable? But they are free to do what they want, so whatever.

Exactly my point. There are issues with the game as no game is perfect but it does not effect my wonderful experience playing this game nor should it affect yours OP.

People want clicks and negativity drives more clicks(which for these people can be revenue) so just ignore the naysayers and just do you.

Aurora Lark

Awards
The game definitely had some flaws but on the whole it did a lot right which was terrific. The only two things I was really put out by was the shortness of 100 Acre Wood and Roxas and Ventus not acknowldging each each other because well wouldn't they? I really loved it more then a lot of the other games and to me it would only be behind KH1

2 quid is good

Awards
hahaha it's ok quid
I'm changing it. I should say that glass fully empty are the annoying ones to me, since unlike them I did get enjoyment from this game.

Glass half empty, I understand, because disappointments are really hard to look over. And I get that being glass half full is very hard to do, especially with disappointments. So I change my mind, it's ok if you don't fully express what you liked about the game.
I didn't see you as a glass fully empty person. Because I have seen people who seem very glass fully empty. (everything about the game sucks kinda vibe)

but honestly idk this is a really hard topic to talk about, I'm still thinking about it haha

Hey man, I didn't want you to feel bad or anything, I just wanted to kind of put out my conflicted feelings. And it is a hard topic to fully write about it without feeling like I'm missing something out, so I get you

soratothamax

I agree with you 1000%. Most people are not judging the game for what it is and in fact are judging it based on what they expected. To add, there are so many contradictory expectations. For example, people hated the Winnie The Pooh worlds in the other KH games...especially because we had to visit them in order to get any extra or secret content. But now, people are mad because Winnie The Pooh now is actually reduced and we don't have to play the whole thing to get secret movies or anything. Another thing...people were literally disappointed we didn't have Coliseums....yet in the past the biggest complaint was that Olympus was lacking as a world because it was made with only Coliseums instead of a real world. The problem with fans of this series is their expectations are not consistent. Its nearly impossible to please every person.

I must also mention that KH2 had the same reaction when it was first released....due to the hype factor and people being let down. Flashforward to today....now KH2 is considered a KH masterpiece. Only time will tell with KH3....

soratothamax

Then feel free to assert your perspective or disengage. I tend to find the apologists for this game just as annoying and aggressive and there are plenty of those on this forum, but we don't have threads every other day bemoaning the state of the fandom because people can't tolerate the criticism this game has more than earned for itself.

Well, in truth we are allowed to criticize criticisms. If I don't agree with a criticism, it doesn't mean I don't respect their criticisms. I think that's another issue that critics don't seem to understand.

drew0512

Awards
To add, there are so many contradictory expectations.

Oh, there is a lot of contradictory criticism for sure. My favourite is "This game has too many cutscenes! Is it a movie or a game?" which often comes with "I'm disappointed because character X didn't interact with character Y and character Z didn't talk about this with character A and, and, and...". This one always puts a little smile on my face. It just makes me understand that this game is the perfect example of "Damned if I do, damned if I don't".

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards

Well this is a problem with any series with an on going plot is it not? Especially if there's a long wait or a lot of build up towards a so called finale. Any series will have expectations with it, especially if the series goes out of it's way to set up plot points for the finale.

I find it a bit frustrating how people complaining about others critiques will occasionally just write it off as people being mad their headcanon didn't get confirmed. I feel this game had a few things set up that it then just avoided doing, and I don't see why being disappointed by that or frustrated by it is a bad thing.

In my opinion KH3 is a good game, but it could have been better. Some of the choices they decided to take were the weakest routs available to them, but it partly made up for some of those short comings with other strengths.

Oh, there is a lot of contradictory criticism for sure. My favourite is "This game has too many cutscenes! Is it a movie or a game?" which often comes with "I'm disappointed because character X didn't interact with character Y and character Z didn't talk about this with character A and, and, and...". This one always puts a little smile on my face. It just makes me understand that this game is the perfect example of "Damned if I do, damned if I don't".

I'd imagine those two things to come from different camps, personally I wouldn't have minded more cutscenes, even if made optional that would have included more of these interactions. I'm a fan of this series for it's characters foremost, so the more time I get to spend with them the happier I am. Others just like playing the game, so they'd understandably want less cutscenes.

SerDuncan

I agree with you 1000%. Most people are not judging the game for what it is and in fact are judging it based on what they expected. To add, there are so many contradictory expectations. For example, people hated the Winnie The Pooh worlds in the other KH games...especially because we had to visit them in order to get any extra or secret content. But now, people are mad because Winnie The Pooh now is actually reduced and we don't have to play the whole thing to get secret movies or anything. Another thing...people were literally disappointed we didn't have Coliseums....yet in the past the biggest complaint was that Olympus was lacking as a world because it was made with only Coliseums instead of a real world. The problem with fans of this series is their expectations are not consistent. Its nearly impossible to please every person.

I must also mention that KH2 had the same reaction when it was first released....due to the hype factor and people being let down. Flashforward to today....now KH2 is considered a KH masterpiece. Only time will tell with KH3....

I think you're conflating two different groups of opinions here, like Adrian said above me. But at the same time... a lot of these complaints aren't mutually exclusive. Sure, in KH1 I wish there was more Olympus plot instead of having it be entirely Coliseum based. But... you could still have had more story and areas to explore alongside the tournament. Like what KH2 did, by having a far larger location to explore while still keeping the Coliseum we knew and loved. Why didn't KH3 do that? There was clearly a location for it, a potential story reason, and it's not like they didn't have the ability: The battlegates are essentially just Coliseum fights in other locations, except on their own and without the tournament style fun a restrictions. In previous games, people usually criticized the minigames in Hundred Acre Wood for being poorly designed or too grindy. But they generally like the story beats, and many of the better minigames are still beloved by fans. I hate the bees minigame in RE:COM, but love the hunny slider. In KH3, the world is so pointless. The story is so short and has so little effect as to be practically worthless, it's the same variation of (as far as I can tell) an unfun minigame three times over, and the world is so small compared to every other world in the game. I do agree that while it's nice we don't have to do the minigames to get the Secret Ending... the Lucky Emblems aren't much better. On Beginner, it's almost impossible to find every emblem without either countless hours of searching to find every emblem or looking up a guide. Is it better? Probably, but it still could have been fine tuned a bit.

You're right, it's impossible to please every person. And with a lot of expectations, it's hard to make everyone happy. But KH3 failed in a lot of aspects (and succeeded in many others). It seems like a lot of the crticisms are coming from things that were baseline expected, not over the moon things that should not have been expected.

KH2 definitely didn't have the negative reception this game has had, on the same scale. For sure some people were disappointed, especially with the base game, but I think most fans saw it as an improvement.

And then as a counter To drew0512's point... those aren't mutually exclusive either. KH3 has far more cutscenes than Days, but failed to drum up the same kind of emotional reaction from fans. Personally, I don't think that KH3 has too many cutscenes, I think they're just poorly placed and badly paced. But for people who wanted different interactions, but wanted less cutscenes... it's not too hard to understand what they want. Cut some of the fluff, the unnecessary scenes from certain worlds (AHEM let it go AHEM) and make the pacing better. I mean, look at the Hobbit trilogy versus the LOTR trilogy. Their about the same length, but LOTR makes far better use of it's time. The Hobbit films feel like they drag, so little happens but it takes so long. In LOTR, tons happens, but it feels like a breeze. It's about using the time effectively.

Back