• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A Trivial Question Regarding Sea-Salt Ice Cream

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
This is from the fifth entry in Roxas' diary.

Roxas in his diary said:
The other members have been teaching me more about how to fight and stuff. It's going well, I guess. Every day after work, I've been meeting Axel at the clock tower to have sea-salt ice cream. It really is salty! But still sweet, too. How come it tastes so familiar?

He wrote this as though it had been his first time eating the ice cream. Hadn't he tasted it before, after Axel had taken him for his very first mission? Or did he simply not remember a thing about it since that time he had still been like a zombie?

And if he didn't remember, why did he say that it tasted familiar? Is it because of Sora's or Ventus' memories? But if I'm not mistaken, neither of them had tasted the ice cream before.

An interesting additional piece of info: I've read somewhere that Nomura had actually tasted sea-salt ice cream when he went to Tokyo Disneysea. Is there really such a thing there? I once tried making my own version of the ice cream, but I'm still unconvinced until today that it tasted like the real one. I also have this lingering suspicion that it's actually more like ice candy (without milk or cream) than ice cream.

Square2

Awards
I think it's possible that Ventus could've had it from that ice cream thing in Disneytown, but I believe that it's actually Roxas just not remembering that he had it a few days ago. When Roxas exclaims that it's salty, but also sweet, Axel mentions something about how Roxas said that before.

Also, there is/was sea-salt ice cream at Tokyo Disneysea! I don't know if it's still there, I had it some years ago. I'm planning to go next summer, so I'll see if they still do :O

Square2

Awards
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, it came in a cup instead of on a stick.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
Yeah, with the way this series works, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a throwback to Ven in Disney Town. Memory of taste is also a very odd thing. You don't have to remember the actual place or thing you ate, so the taste in his memory (since it was so abstract (salty and sweet)) stayed with him through Ven's memories.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Hmm, makes sense. I'll deviate a bit from Roxas for now; how about Sora? He obtained a stick of ice cream as a clue left by Riku during his brief stay at the Realm of Darkness after the 1,000 Heartless battle, that I know, but did he ever taste one? And if he did, did he say anything about it?

I only remember that it was Donald who actually tasted it after Scrooge gave it to him. He said, "Salty... sweet!"

Also, there is/was sea-salt ice cream at Tokyo Disneysea! I don't know if it's still there, I had it some years ago. I'm planning to go next summer, so I'll see if they still do :O

WHAT. THERE REALLY IS? You've made me regret skipping Tokyo Disneysea for Akihabara when I went there last winter because I thought it was just a place for kids. @_@

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Hmm, makes sense. I'll deviate a bit from Roxas for now; how about Sora? He obtained a stick of ice cream as a clue left by Riku during his brief stay at the Realm of Darkness after the 1,000 Heartless battle, that I know, but did he ever taste one? And if he did, did he say anything about it?

I only remember that it was Donald who actually tasted it after Scrooge gave it to him. He said, "Salty... sweet!"

WHAT. THERE REALLY IS? You've made me regret skipping Tokyo Disneysea for Akihabara when I went there last winter because I thought it was just a place for kids. @_@

Yep! It's a real thing there!

Though more than likely, it's just Roxas not remembering that he tasted it. Axel confirms this with the line you mentioned! ^_^.

(Sora didn't have it until KH2, and Ven's heart was fast asleep until Xion's death)

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Sleeping hearts can do something to one's memory too, right? Kairi's, for example, when hidden inside Sora's, triggered a feeling of familiarity inside Sora when he saw the Radiant Garden slide in Deep Jungle. I'm not sure though if her heart can be considered sleeping at that time.

By the way, I'm very curious, how does the ice cream taste? My gosh, if only I knew, I could make some adjustments to my recipe and put it up somewhere for people to try out!

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I assume it's because Roxas couldn't remember eating sea-salt ice cream the first five-hundred times. We've never seen Ven or Sora eating it before so we can assume they've never had it. The only other reason I can think of is maybe he's is actually Nomura's Nobody. Hehe...sigh...

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Sleeping hearts can do something to one's memory too, right? Kairi's, for example, when hidden inside Sora's, triggered a feeling of familiarity inside Sora when he saw the Radiant Garden slide in Deep Jungle. I'm not sure though if her heart can be considered sleeping at that time.

Kairi's heart was somewhat active. It responded to what Sora saw, and Sora was even able to dive into Kairi's memories and hear her when she called to him. Ven's has been explicitly stated to be asleep and dormant until Xion's sacrifice. The trauma caused it to stir and caused Roxas to gain Ven's Keyblade, and then canonically speaking, Sora gained the second one on an occasional basis when he and Roxas merged. If Ven's heart had been active in Sora, Sora would have inherited Ven's Keyblade much sooner.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Well roxas wrote that after/on day 7 and we see Axel and Roxas eating it not long after xemnas found him, so I just took it to mean he didn't remember trying it before. He said himself he couldn't remember those first 6 days to well. xD

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
So it doesn't like Ventus has nothing to do with this, huh. I tend to lean toward that side, too, because Roxas had never mentioned anything about Axel or Saïx being familiar. Throughout Days, there haven't been any other throwbacks to Ventus through Roxas' actions, if I'm not mistaken; the closest to this would be reenactment of some bits of Sora's adventures courtesy of Naminé rearranging Sora's memory.

And I think I can relate. Sometimes, at the end of a day, I already forget what I had for breakfast. -_-

Gram

Banned
Awards
So it doesn't like Ventus has nothing to do with this, huh. I tend to lean toward that side, too, because Roxas had never mentioned anything about Axel or Saïx being familiar. Throughout Days, there haven't been any other throwbacks to Ventus through Roxas' actions, if I'm not mistaken; the closest to this would be reenactment of some bits of Sora's adventures courtesy of Naminé rearranging Sora's memory.

And I think I can relate. Sometimes, at the end of a day, I already forget what I had for breakfast. -_-

I highly doubt it since we've never seen Ventus eat sea salt ice cream and until you get a scene of him doing so you can rule out any ventus relevance.
That's largely cause Ventus has no influence on Roxas besides his face and duel wielding, even at that point in time ven was still sleeping/wounded it took xions death to let roxas access vens keyblade.

Roxas has always been his own person even if his face comes mostly from another.

Exactly the closest he got to any sort of relation of that sort was from him getting flashes or sora and dreams which only occurred because Namine first took sora's memory apart and then over days tried to fix them.

ngc50

Awards
I always thought it was because Sora would have at some point tasted sea salt from the ocean he lived on, and Roxas remembered that. Then again nothing is ever as simple as that in this series.

Gram

Banned
Awards
^Nomura likes to give people mindfucks. x'D

On the note though like Ventus until you see a flashback scene of a young sora eating sea salt icecream you can rule that out as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back