• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

about the next kh title, im kinda confused....

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
& saw that post-credits tease.
And in the very same game we get a secret ending that suggests a game taking place in the past because it references Xehanort's past/memories.

it was always Nomura's intention to expand KH's lore before getting into KH3.

But back to the topic, I'm optimistic and think that they'll reveal the next title in 2022. If it's using KH3's engine, then they already have existing assets, meaning that development shouldn't take as long.

redcrown

Awards
You guys think the game that will take place in Shibuya will be for the PS4 or PS5? It's the one I'm looking forward to the most (tho I don't know if it'll be DDD2 like I imagined) and I don't want to buy a new console within the next few years just to play it since I'm cheap. I like to wait until a console becomes cheaper and has a larger library of games to play before I can justify buying it, but I have a feeling Nomura wants to save that game for PS5 so he can make it look as modern and shiny as possible, to make it look closer to the KH3 secret ending as much as he can.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
You guys think the game that will take place in Shibuya will be for the PS4 or PS5? It's the one I'm looking forward to the most (tho I don't know if it'll be DDD2 like I imagined) and I don't want to buy a new console within the next few years just to play it since I'm cheap. I like to wait until a console becomes cheaper and has a larger library of games to play before I can justify buying it, but I have a feeling Nomura wants to save that game for PS5 so he can make it look as modern and shiny as possible, to make it look closer to the KH3 secret ending as much as he can.
By 2022 PS4 will be done.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I think it will be on the PS5 as well. Part of the reason being I suspect the Shibuya game will be titled "Kingdom Hearts 4" for reasons a few members mentioned(Quadratum meaning square and four being the number associated with death).

What better way to kick of the next numbered title then by putting it on the next gen console?

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
You guys think the game that will take place in Shibuya will be for the PS4 or PS5?
It will be most likely be for PS5. They will probably also release another Xehanort Saga bundle for PS5 for the 20th anniversary, this time with ReMind and maybe MoM, to get some easy money and attract new fans.

I like to wait until a console becomes cheaper and has a larger library of games to play before I can justify buying it,
I'm like you. Those are the main reasons why I won't buy a PS5 anytime soon. If when the time comes, I can get an upgraded and slim version, the better. PS5 size is just ridiculous to me. Bonus points if it's black. :p

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I would hope PS5 only but cross-gen will probably still be a thing there. I can't go back to PS4 after experiencing how amazing the PS5 is.

Cumguardian69

Awards
This is normal with new consoles. Happened with the switch and I remember happening with the original Nintendo DS.
I don't remember this happening with 3DS, 2DS, X1, or PS4. If it did, blame my poor memory. Scalpers buying up anything and evrything and holding them hostage is common for cool tech don't get me wrong (it happens with GFX cards ever year) but like THIS? IDK man. IDK.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
None are them are KH3 so they don't count. I WANTED KH3 as soon as I beat KH2 & saw that post-credits tease. Ain't my fault Square took so damn long to get on it.

Nomura wasn't going to make Kingdom Hearts III without a Toy Story world so blame the approval process. There's also the issue of switching from Luminous Engine to Unreal Engine 4 which affected development, too.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
it was always Nomura's intention to expand KH's lore before getting into KH3.
He overdid it. KH3 was clogged with too many plot threads. Hell, getting the tearful reunion of TAX AND the tearful reunion of RAX like 5 minutes apart showed just how redundant it got.

Last edited:

Cumguardian69

Awards
He overdid it. KH3 was clogged with too many plot threads. Hell, getting the tearful reunion of TAX AND the tearful reunion of RAX like 5 minutes apart showed just how redundant it got.
It wasnt the amount of plot threads, it was specific threads that killed kh3 potential:

•bringing roxas, xion, namine back from the dead

•everything related to khx from Union x the cutscene all the way to le mystery girl

•the half assed seven hearts thread

No reason to bring RXN back. Their fates were SEALED in KH2. Re:coded opening them up was awful, then DDD providing the means to do it (replicas/vessels) just itched. That forced their inclusion in kh3. Proof they didnt need to be centerpiece is that they barely played roles in kbg segments.

UX mobileshit that TO THIS DAY still isn't relevant to mainline KH. Keep it far away.

Needless to say Nomura did this because they werent able to secure more Disney propwrties in time. Disney's gonna Disney to be sure, but Engoora should've negotiated more freeflowing propeeties instead of the selected.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
they are still making ps4 games so i hope the ps4 has a few more years in business

PS4 games are compatible with PS5 and they're cheaper to make, they're not going away in 2021 or 2022.

The Keyblade Graveyard battles were smartly designed to symbolise each era of Kingdom Hearts.

Dark Riku and Xigbar represented the beginnings of Kingdom Hearts, Luxord, Marluxia and Larxene represented Chain of Memories, Saix and Xion represented 358/2 Days and Terra-Xehanort and Vanitas represented Birth by Sleep.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
PS4 games are compatible with PS5 and they're cheaper to make, they're not going away in 2021 or 2022.

The Keyblade Graveyard battles were smartly designed to symbolise each era of Kingdom Hearts.

Dark Riku and Xigbar represented the beginnings of Kingdom Hearts, Luxord, Marluxia and Larxene represented Chain of Memories, Saix and Xion represented 358/2 Days and Terra-Xehanort and Vanitas represented Birth by Sleep.
No love for Coded, it seems.

Cumguardian69

Awards
No love for Coded, it seems.
coded was never a big hitter title. if we think, the main villain was...who WAS the main villain? we fought pete and maleficent who were famously absent from KH3 in any real sense. we fought bug riku aka dark riku aka riku replica aka JiMinYs JOUrNaL. we fought sora's bugged heartless aka death-darkside. we fought roxas modo de enojado aka roxas (party member ver.) aka roxas (playable ver.) aka data xion (kh3 ver.).

even if coded had representation it would likely be overwritten by its appropriate mainline example.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I'm sorry, if you think that Nomura wasn't always going to find a way to revive Roxas, Namine, or Xion for that matter, then I don't know what to tell you. The revival plot was around at least since kh2 Final Mix.

KH3 was always going to be about Sora fighting off a complete version of Xehanort and saving people who were lost. I don't think it ever had potential to be anything other than that. The fact that TAV were in vanilla KH2 also leads me to believe he wanted them to be saved too. The unplanned plot-point of the saga seems to be DDD, considering it was conjured up way after the post-2 trilogy that was announced within months of kh2fm coming out. And that before DDD there was going to be another "Mystery Game" that got shelved.

The plot and cast are bloated, but not surprising. I don't think KH3 could have ever been anything other than some version of this revival plot.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
What exactly would be the point, though? Would it look that much better? Sure, the lighting and minor stuff would look nicer, but when it comes to the models, they would look the same, right? I feel like that wouldn't be enough of a difference to justify changing engines.

Lighting is a major weak point in KH so it would make a massive difference.

Plus, it's not just graphical fidelity that is enhanced. There's more than enough horsepower in current/last gen engines and consoles to satisfy the aesthetic needs of Kingdom Hearts. In fact, something a bit more limiting might necessitate creativity like how KH2 and COM pushed the respective hardware to its limits not via brute force but innovation and the clever circumvention of material constraints.

The newer engine allows for scale in a way that couldn't be done previously. Kingdom Hearts has always been told via a broad-strokes storytelling brush. It hasn't been one for the minute details or highly defined textures.

Kingdom Hearts' success is in part down to how deftly it plays with scale. So deft that you can't help but admire the arrogant swagger with which they have found ways to overcome technical hurdles over the years. Yes, you can see the ways it masked over the limitations for the Battle of 1000 Heartless. But that just makes it even more impressive as a technical achievement.

I sincerely doubt they'd pass over the chance to upgrade. Both Disney and SE are taking Kingdom Hearts seriously now. I do not think the compromised nature of KH3 will be repeated and I think (hope?) the jump from III to IV will be as big as the astonishing jump in production values from I to II.

Back