• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Aladdin (2019) - A whole new, new world

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The studio is developing Genies, a live-action comedy adventure that is being written by Damian Shannon and Mark Swift. Tripp Vinson is on board to produce via his Vinson Films banner.

Aladdin is a centuries-old Arabic folk tale that got the animated Disney treatment in 1992 in a film featuring Robin Williams as the voice of the blue-skinned Genie.

The movie tells the story of Aladdin, a street urchin who finds a lamp that unleashes a Genie who grants him three wishes. A love interest and a sorcerer also figure into the proceedings.

The new project would focus on the realm of the Genies and reveal how Aladdin's Genie ended up enslaved in the lamp.

Although Genies is only in the early stages of development, the long-term plan is to have the project lead into an Aladdin live-action movie.

Vinson, an exec producer on this summer’s hit San Andreas, is producing Bob the Musical, Disney’s music-inclined comedy which Michel Hazanavicius is directing, as well as Prince Charming, also for the studio.

Shannon and Swift made their mark early working on horror movies such as Freddy vs. Jason and the Friday the 13th remake. But they segued into comedy, working most recently on the Baywatch movie project and O’Lucky Day, which has Peter Dinklage attached, both at Paramount.

The duo are repped by UTA and attorney Jeff Frankel at McKuin, Frankel.

'Aladdin' Live-Action Prequel in the Works at Disney (Exclusive) - The Hollywood Reporter

Excuse me, I have deep breathing exercises that have to be done right now...

(If they can get the guy who plays the Genie in the Broadway musical, I'd be content. Right now? I am not happy.)

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Oh my god XDDDDD

Are they seriously going to attempt to give all of the disney classics the live action treatment? This is getting ridiculous. Do we really need to know Genie's past?

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I have amassed zero interest reading the pitch.

(and yes, it is too soon)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Robin Williams, Tron, too many live action films. My complaints can go on for days.

Oh my god XDDDDD

Are they seriously going to attempt to give all of the disney classics the live action treatment? This is getting ridiculous. Do we really need to know Genie's past?

No, we really don't. Considering the time Genie would have become a genie in the first place, we'd be in some very ancient civilization and I'm not too certain how interesting it'd even be...

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Just going to wait for the announcement of a live action Lion King. It`s going to happen

I`m worried that Disney isn`t going to attempt to do more original live action Disney films. At least not as much as they used to. They were trying to go with another PotC like series with John Carter, but that bombed. And then Tomorrowland and The Lone Ranger underperformed as well. Tomorrowland`s failure was worse because it discouraged Disney from going ahead with Tron 3. A live action adaptation of a Disney animated classic was a cute idea at first, but now it`s gotten out of hand.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Robin Williams, Tron, too many live action films. My complaints can go on for days.

No, we really don't. Considering the time Genie would have become a genie in the first place, we'd be in some very ancient civilization and I'm not too certain how interesting it'd even be...

Surprised there isn't a thread about the Jungle Cruise movie based from the classic Disney ride.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
I'm disgusted.

First of all: like many of these live-action movies, we don't need this. At all. Not to mention that they're putting out too many live-action movies to begin with.

Secondly, and this is what infuriates me: it's not even been a year since Robin Williams has passed away. Is nothing sacred anymore to Disney? Robin Williams put a lot into that role, gave them tons of material to work with, asked for the lowest legal pay rate a studio can give an actor and asked them to not make the movie about Genie because he wanted the movie to get the focus it deserved. He was humble like that. But Disney clearly didn't think much of his generosity and decided to not respect Robin's conditions concerning f.e promotional material (to not put a lot of focus on Genie on posters etc.), humiliating Robin and making him distance himself from Disney altogether. After Joe Roth became the head of the studio, Disney and Robin settled their dispute, with a formal apology of Disney, after which Robin agreed to re-appear as Genie in "King of Thieves".

This is Disney shitting all over that.

I know different people are attached to the project and sure, people other than Robin are gonna play (and have played) Genie. But making a movie about Genie? No. Knowing all of the above, that's disrespectful to say the least. I sincerely hope this announcement gets so much shit that they just straight-up cancel it.

Last edited:

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
I was kind of on board until I saw
Although Genies is only in the early stages of development, the long-term plan is to have the project lead into an Aladdin live-action movie.

I'm all for live action adaptations that tell someone else's story/a much different, newer version... but if it's just going to lead into a live action Aladdin, what is the point?

Can't wait to hear about how the would-be budget for Tron 3 is being used for Genies.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
The most exciting part (to me) is that it's going to lead into a live-action Aladdin. Aladdin's one of the few I wouldn't mind seeing them do, like B&tB and hopefully The Little Mermaid at some point.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I mean, as long as it isn't white washed or something like their Prince of Persia film. If an Aladdin live-action film ended up not having middle eastern people, I don't think I could bear it.

Anagram

Banned
*made joke of another live action film in Wreck-it-Ralph thread* *waits for news that WIR2 is cancelled in favor of it*

Awards
I mean, as long as it isn't white washed or something like their Prince of Persia film. If an Aladdin live-action film ended up not having middle eastern people, I don't think I could bear it.

That would be sickening but honestly I'd be more surprised if they actually did the right thing and hired a culturally/historically appropriate cast.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On another note:

Who remembers this movie growing up?
MV5BMTU4NjAwMjg0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODgwNDMyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But on a serious note, they should just use CGI for the Genies a la Hulk in Avengers. Not sure where that puts the budget though.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
That would be sickening but honestly I'd be more surprised if they actually did the right thing and hired a culturally/historically appropriate cast.

Let's hope we can all be pleasantly surprised than absolutely disgusted, then!

Who remembers this movie growing up?
MV5BMTU4NjAwMjg0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODgwNDMyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

YESSSSS THIS MOVIE!

Do it Disney!

filecdn.php

At first I was like "Why should DJ's boyfriend be in this film?" then I was like "I mean his voice is hot and all...oh."

But really, Scott Weinger looks so weird these days. Still has a hot voice, though. (This is why I need Aladdin and the King of Thieves in KH3...)

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Seriously Disney? I don't want live action remakes of all of your animated gems. There are plenty of fairy tales you haven't really used yet. For animated, live action, or otherwise. I just... think it's too soon.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Let's hope we can all be pleasantly surprised than absolutely disgusted, then!

YESSSSS THIS MOVIE!

At first I was like "Why should DJ's boyfriend be in this film?" then I was like "I mean his voice is hot and all...oh."

But really, Scott Weinger looks so weird these days. Still has a hot voice, though. (This is why I need Aladdin and the King of Thieves in KH3...)

It'd be cool to see him taking the role since he is the voice of Aladdin. It was just a thought lol. He's about to be 40 years old and it still feels he's been working on the film/series yesterday.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
We get it Disney, you cancelled Tron 3 and are rubbing your dicks in our faces.

Kindly go fuck yourselves. I'm sick of this of this shit already

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
What's with all the pressed Tron fans, jeez. I mean, I feel bad for fans of Tron: Legacy (of which I'm not one) and the actors/etc. who lost their jobs, but what does it have to do with all the other films Disney decides to make? The re-makes have all been successful so far and most of their original (live-action) films haven't been. Some of the re-makes have been and most likely will be good, some with quality acting talent (Angelina Jolie in Maleficent, Cate Blanchett, HBC in Cinderella; Emma Watson, Ian McKellan, Emma Thompson, and a slew of other great actors to be in B&tB).

Fairy tales have been flourishing the past few years, and Disney's taking advantage of it. All the companies out there are playing safe with sequels/re-makes these days.

Back