• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► All you studious students! Come hither.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobuoi

Who's that girl?
Website
www.tobuoi.deviantart.com
Alright, this is considerably less crucial than most of the threads in this section, but regardless, by definition, this is where it belongs.

Well, for my senior year (I'm going into my junior year), I'm working to get into a fine arts boarding school. I've got the money issue and the portfolio stuff figured and planned out, but another big part of the acceptance process is my academic status. My freshman year, I finished with a very lousy 1.75. My sophomore year, I got my crap together for the most-part and finished with a 2.9, which is pretty decent. HOWEVER, I've conferred with students from the school and they say that it's best to shoot for a 3.2, at least, and apparently, the higher it is, the more financial aid there is to benefit from.

Basically, I'm just asking if any of you have study tips to offer and whatnot. I realize that what happens lies entirely on me and how hard I'm willing to work, but like I said, if any of you have advice or even homework/study schedules, that'd be awesome.

Thanks!

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
Yeah violent made a great idea. Just stay focus and dont let small things throw you off. Its good to have fun but dont do it when you know something else needs to happen. Plus if your trying to get into a school thats really good you may need alittle more than a 3.2 this year. Schools tend to look at your overall GPA than each year. I dont know the school but if its a private school and wants to make sure you are a good student you sort a need at least a B average GPA and even if you get a 4.0 you still are just right around C student.

snowdog

is a girl
Awards
n. 1. a place of settlement, activity, or residenc
Don't work for hours on end. Just don't. You'll hit burnout.

Make deals with yourself. Sounds crazy but it works. For example, say you will not go on your computer until you've studied for an hour. Don't deprive yourself of fun; give your brain a little time to cool off between studying.

<3

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
Uh, work smart, not hard.

- Do homework.
- Study for tests.
- Don't half ass shit.
- Don't procrastinate.
- Don't leave things until the last minute which is basically the exact same thing as don't procrastinate but worded slightly differently. What the hell is the point of this point anyways? Ugh.
- Condition yourself in the beginning of the year slowly, so when you get near the end, it becomes second nature. Study habits should only take 1 - 3 months before it becomes natural, but during those three months, it'll be bitchin and hard.
- Uhh, no social life? >_>
- Refer to the previous point.

Lol k.

Samber

Your Mom's Mom's Daughter
Though i have good grades i'm not sure if i can help but i'll try.

Well first of all pay attention in class, one too many times i've seen people screw up because they were too busy passing notes.
Also try and read in your textbook for reference, like in math or whatever.
Ask questions if you don't understand somthing, i have a bad habit of not asking questions.

That's all i can think of right now, if i think of somthing else i'll post it. :)

Tobuoi

Who's that girl?
Website
Thank you for the advice, everyone! Your comments are very helpful on one level or another. Pardon my lack of response, but I don't have much else to say...but if you have more to say, please, continue. :D

Awesome Ansem

Just make sure you always have your homework finished. So many people at my school don't do homework, and that's why they don't get good grades.

If you have a problem remembering facts, come up with weird phrases or something that you can remember. That's what I always do. Just like Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species = King Phillip Came Over From Geneva Switzerland. Doing stuf like that before a test can help.

Awesome Ansem

well good for you. You're 14. School will get harder, and you're grades will suffer if you don't do anything.

A

Azanulbizare

Just make sure you always have your homework finished. So many people at my school don't do homework, and that's why they don't get good grades.

If you have a problem remembering facts, come up with weird phrases or something that you can remember. That's what I always do. Just like Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species = King Phillip Came Over From Geneva Switzerland. Doing stuf like that before a test can help.

That stuff has never helped me. Ever.

However many hours of classtime you have, that's how many you should spend studying. If you just study and manage your time so that you have periods to relax, you'll do fine. Keep the social life, it's important. It saves you your sanity.

In other words, time management, responsibility for your own actions (Doing your homework) and studying are the keys to a high GPA. That's what I focused on, anyways, and I graduated with a 3.6.

Awesome Ansem

That stuff has never helped me. Ever.

okay then, here's another example: I always remember that samuel gompers created the AFL by thinking "samual gompers gomped all over the AFL." It doesn't make any sense, but it was so unique that I remembered it and so did my friends because they thought it was funny.

However many hours of classtime you have, that's how many you should spend studying.
You don't have to study for any set amount of hours. just make sure you know the material. And don't keep studying after you would usually be asleep. Being well rested makes it alot easier to remember stuff, and if you're tired when you're taking a test or whatever, it won't matter how much you studied. And you can always double check the material by asking a friend. That always helps me.

If you don't feel like taking my advice because its "retarded" keep in mind that I have a 3.9 gpa, including a few college classes and honors/advance classes. If I was "retarded" at studying and keeping up in school, I would have a much lower gpa.

Infinity's End

ars gratia artis
Theres no point in studying a week before a test. Two days before the test, skim through your materials. The night before, study for 2-3 sold hours. You should be fine, trust me on this one. In the end it all depends on how you think and how smart you are =/.

Secondly, I find this tip very helpful, if it's math or science where you use formulas, right before you take the test, read over the formulas, then right them down on the front page the second the test starts, this way you don't need to memorize formulas.

Kingdom2917

Im so cool, I can STILL receive rep
Website
www.myspace.com
Theres no point in studying a week before a test. Two days before the test, skim through your materials. The night before, study for 2-3 sold hours. You should be fine, trust me on this one. In the end it all depends on how you think and how smart you are =/.

Secondly, I find this tip very helpful, if it's math or science where you use formulas, right before you take the test, read over the formulas, then right them down on the front page the second the test starts, this way you don't need to memorize formulas.

I agree, I also do the second tip that IE said, just remember the formulas really fast before the test, right them down so you don't forget and then you have less parts to worry about.

Tobuoi

Who's that girl?
Website
You don't have to study for any set amount of hours. just make sure you know the material. And don't keep studying after you would usually be asleep. Being well rested makes it alot easier to remember stuff, and if you're tired when you're taking a test or whatever, it won't matter how much you studied. And you can always double check the material by asking a friend. That always helps me.

If you don't feel like taking my advice because its "retarded" keep in mind that I have a 3.9 gpa, including a few college classes and honors/advance classes. If I was "retarded" at studying and keeping up in school, I would have a much lower gpa.

Come, now, I never thought any such thing. And I have used acronyms before, and there have been times when they've come to be very helpful. :D

You have all suggested some very fine tips and advice. Thank you. <333

Awesome Ansem

yes. I do this all the time. just don't get your formulas mixed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back