• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Am I screwed?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teiku 5

Something About, Baby, You and I...
Website
www.facebook.com
so i've been having a problem with my music library lately. i think i have a virus but i'm not sure.

i use windows media player for my cd-rips and my torrent downloads. i haven't downloaded anything new recently but my WMP starts freaking out everytime i start playing a song. everytime the song gets to about 1:40 the sounds stops, and by 1:43 or so the player stops altogether and so does my whole system. not even the "end program" thing, it just does nothing. i have to unplug my latptop and take out the battery.

any suggestions as to what to try doing to fix this? it's quite aggravating not being able to listen to my music.

NOTE: a Norton scan didn't bring anything up, but i guess that doesn't mean anything exactly.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Start out by uninstalling WMP. Then download and install the latest version. If that doesn't work, we'll go from there.

Teiku 5

Website
www.facebook.com
you can't uninstall it.

i tired downloading another music client (MediaMonkey), but while scanning my music into that, it crapped out too.

i worried that i got the Facebook virus that gets spread around through messages, but i find it strange it would only affect my music.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Well whaddya know, you can't, lol.

Anyway, download the latest version. If that doesn't work, there may very well be a virus.

Teiku 5

Website
www.facebook.com
ok....i'll try but i already have 10 for Vista i think and 11 is only for Windows 7.

i'd just rather not go thru the trouble of re-ripping and re-downloading all my music. EDIT: way too much effort to find that it still might not work.

S

Shadow Soldier

I'd say try a different antivirus because Norton sucks horse cock.

Also, iTunes > All.

S

Shadow Soldier

iTunes 9 fixes all of that. It's amazingly faster than 8 was. 8 was terrible for everybody.

Also, Norton has been known to not pick up on big name viruses.

Teiku 5

Website
www.facebook.com
I can't donwload the latest version of WMP because the latest available is 11 and the download is only for XP since Vista comes with it. i already have all the updates too.

i did a scf /scan but nothing came up on it.

so really, what should i do next? i would love to not have to pay money to fix this.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Get something like MalwareByte's Anti-Malware. It's always done the trick for me.

And I'd change your media player to Winamp.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
iTunes was pretty shit for a while (I remember a time where it fucking lagged like all hell and was just barely usable), but new versions have worked just fine for me for quite a while now.

When was the last time you used iTunes?

Last edited:

Teiku 5

Website
www.facebook.com
okay but i think you all are missing a point. i downloaded another media player and it still flipped out. anyways, last time i tried iTunes was like this summer and i hated it.

i'd be willing to try winamp, but if it doesnt work either, then it doesnt help.

does everyone agree that MalwareBytes etc. is a good thing to try out? is it free?

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Malwarebytes is free, yeah, and I've heard good things about it (apparently it's designed to pick up malware other anti-virus/adware programs miss too, so in that case you don't stand much to lose trying it out).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back