• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Am I the only one who LIKES DDD?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
I love DDD. It's great. The problem is not that it's a "bad" game, it just has some stuff that is either weird (Dream Eaters) or jarring (time travel).

Even the time travel thing, I am okay with. Nomura was very smart and held it back, making it so that it was restricted and unable to screw with already established events. He completely dodged the possibility of uber plot holes, and allowed for some very cool plot twists to be introduced. Personally, the concept of fighting 13 incarnations of Xehanort against 7 heroes is amazing and the fact that the time travel idea made it possible is why I am totally supportive of the time travel thing. Yes, it further complicates things, but it's adding a massive setup for the climax of the Saga.

Flowmotion, while executed poorly in DDD, is an awesome concept. It's fun and adds a lot of flair to the game. I can't wait to play the revamped version of it in KH3.

The Dream Eaters were a big turn off for me at first, but they grew on me. I still think the color-vomit design of them is off-putting, but the entirety of the game seems to have this kinda "carnival of exploding neon colors" vibe, so they do work in the art style of the game. Also, the first time I heard the Dream Eater theme song, I was like "Wtf IS this horrendous sound!?" and now that shit is my JAM. Headbanging to the Dream Eater song is so wonderfully oxymoronic.

One thing in particular I really like about DDD was that it developed Sora and Riku further. It showed that Sora, despite all he's gone through, is still naive and doesn't fully understand the gravity of what's going on. Yes, he saved the Realms twice, and slayed a Castle full of jerks, but you can see the overconfidence he's developed at the beginning of the game. Sora is naturally carefree and aloof, so combine that with him thinking that he can already take on anything without needing preparation and DDD was necessary to show Sora that he does need more work to be truly ready for what is to come.

And for Riku, I enjoy how DDD essentially made Riku the main protagonist. I thought that was a fantastic choice and Riku finally confronting himself and his actions, rather than trying to fight/control the Darkness, was a solid path for the plot to follow. He made peace with himself. He learned to control the Darkness, but he was still insecure. He overcame that insecurity in DDD and that will do wonders for him in KH3. I just hope Square doesn't make Riku keep having his struggle with the Darkness in KH3. He's done it, he's won, that part of his character arc is done. I think the smart thing to do now is have Riku start and Aqua-type character arc, where he works on the responsibility of being a Keyblade Master.

And omfg, the MUSIC in DDD. "L'Oscurita dell'Ignoto"? The Sora vs Xemnas boss battle song? Masterpiece. One of the best songs Yoko has ever composed, and that's saying a lot because every song in the KH series is amazing, both the Disney remixes and original compositions.

DDD is my fourth favorite game of the series, after 2, 1, and BBS. I think it's fantastic and I can't wait to replay it in 2.8.

It really goes to show the contrast between Xehanort and Sora. Xehanort will do everything in his power, even if it seems impossible, for his own selfish desires and will literally change the personality of everyone around him so as to avoid traitors. Sora on the other hand, will do everything in his power, even the impossible, to save his friends and keep them exactly the way they are. He trusts them and they trust him. They have really built up Sora and Xehanort to be the perfect opposites throughout the entire series. I love it!

I do too! I think the contrast between the two is really well done. Xehanort forces his heart onto others for his own selfish desires, while Sora allows others into his heart in pure selflessness. It very much reminds me of the duality between Harry and Voldemort, where they are so similar in many ways, but their choices and outlook on the world create two completely different personas: one full of love and the other devoid of it.

Last edited:

TheKeybasHKey

Awards
If you looking for positives and stuff...

It's seems i'm the only one who likes Sora in DDD.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
If you looking for positives and stuff...

It's seems i'm the only one who likes Sora in DDD.

I also like Sora in DDD. Don't get much of the hate towards Sora's character, to be honest. It's just the way he is: goody two shoes and serious when he needs to.

I specially liked his interactions with Neku during Traverse Town. It felt as if their visions towards other people collided. xD

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
The hate towards Sora in DDD stems from him acting dumb the entire game, when he doesn't act like that in previous games. Sora has always been airheaded and naive, but he's never been stupid. In DDD, he acts dumb almost the whole game. Part of it, such as constantly forgetting important information told to him by Yen Sid, is more for the player's sake so that they'll keep up with what's going on, but then other stuff, like Sora befriending Neku enthusiastically despite Neku's only interaction with him at the time was tricking him and turning him over to Xehanort, to which Sora replies "No big deal", is just stupid. Like, I get Sora is loving and kind hearted and whatever, but when you've just met someone, know nothing about them, and the first and only thing they do to you is betray you, Sora should have at least been a little bit hesitant to befriend Neku. Like, it would have been better if Sora maybe had to think about it for a second or two, and then coming to the decision to forgive in like 2 seconds. But no, Sora just naively is like "You just met me and the first thing you did is trick me and almost get me killed by a giant Nightmare? No big deal!"

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
The hate towards Sora in DDD stems from him acting dumb the entire game, when he doesn't act like that in previous games. Sora has always been airheaded and naive, but he's never been stupid. In DDD, he acts dumb almost the whole game. Part of it, such as constantly forgetting important information told to him by Yen Sid, is more for the player's sake so that they'll keep up with what's going on, but then other stuff, like Sora befriending Neku enthusiastically despite Neku's only interaction with him at the time was tricking him and turning him over to Xehanort, to which Sora replies "No big deal", is just stupid. Like, I get Sora is loving and kind hearted and whatever, but when you've just met someone, know nothing about them, and the first and only thing they do to you is betray you, Sora should have at least been a little bit hesitant to befriend Neku. Like, it would have been better if Sora maybe had to think about it for a second or two, and then coming to the decision to forgive in like 2 seconds. But no, Sora just naively is like "You just met me and the first thing you did is trick me and almost get me killed by a giant Nightmare? No big deal!"

I have to agree with you, even though I like Sora's character. I guess his personality in DDD was goofy instead of goody two shoes. And it isn't the first time Sora is sold by someone. Riku basically gave him to Hook on a silver platter on KH!1. He was affected and we witnessed that. Granted, Neku isn't Riku, but seeing as how Sora trusted Neku as a friend, he should have at least been partially impacted. His disappointment with Neku could have served as a sort of "I criticize society for what they are, but I my attitude towards Sora is nothing different from what I criticize".

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
A lot of Sora's "stupidity" is because he is made to be the tutorial character. As in, he has to forget important things as an excuse to share the knowledge with the player. It definitely could've been handled better and done in a more charitable way, but personally, knowing that was the reason behind these small lapses made it pretty easy for me to forgive and not think much of it or hold it against Sora too much.

As for the Neku thing, you guys forget that Sora's chief reason for forgiving Neku was that Neku protected him when it mattered the most, and went back on his deal with YMX. Had Neku not done that, I really doubt Sora would've forgiven him so easily.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
A lot of Sora's "stupidity" is because he is made to be the tutorial character. As in, he has to forget important things as an excuse to share the knowledge with the player. It definitely could've been handled better and done in a more charitable way, but personally, knowing that was the reason behind these small lapses made it pretty easy for me to forgive and not think much of it or hold it against Sora too much.

As for the Neku thing, you guys forget that Sora's chief reason for forgiving Neku was that Neku protected him when it mattered the most, and went back on his deal with YMX. Had Neku not done that, I really doubt Sora would've forgiven him so easily.

Right, and I get that. Like I said, Sora forgetting things serves the same purpose that stating the obvious in novels often does, which is to inform the reader. Like, "Are we going to go that place located at such and such specific location?" The extra detail would sound dumb in normal conversation, but it sometimes is needed in writing (just, it needs to written well to not also sound awkward in books too). And so Sora remembering stuff that should be obvious serves the purpose to inform the player, who has no idea what is going on, given that they get the backstory of Yen Sid's prior explanation via segmented flashbacks.

True, I guess that would make sense. I just wish Sora weren't so... cheery about it. I mean, he's always cheery, but maybe it's just the delivery of the line or something, idk. I just remember that I found that whole scene kind of awkward because Sora seemed so unnaturally cheery in a situation where he should have been a little more reserved. Maybe my memory isn't 100%. I should go back and watch that part again and see if it's still as odd as I remember. Haven't played DDD since 2013.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
To be fair, I also would probably forget a lot of Yen Sid's explanations given that he just sits there and delivers one long monologue after another (and that's not even counting having to bother with time travel, phantom ursulas, a dream world, and being separated from riku again and not knowing what is going on after said monologues).

But yeah, they definitely could've handled it better.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
To be fair, I also would probably forget a lot of Yen Sid's explanations given that he just sits there and delivers one long monologue after another (and that's not even counting having to bother with time travel, phantom ursulas, a dream world, and being separated from riku again and not knowing what is going on after said monologues).

But yeah, they definitely could've handled it better.

Specially how you're constantly Dropping. And if you're impatient and want to play as the other character for more periods of time and you keep Dropping constantly, then the Drop gauge depletes at a faster pace.

But yeah, there are some things in DDD that could have been handled better. Overall, it was a good game.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Specially how you're constantly Dropping. And if you're impatient and want to play as the other character for more periods of time and you keep Dropping constantly, then the Drop gauge depletes at a faster pace.
Don't know how that's relevant to what we were talking about... but okay

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Don't know how that's relevant to what we were talking about... but okay

lol my bad, should've elaborated more. My point was that forgetting some plot details in this game is easy because of the gameplay: you may constantly be changing between characters, or just choose to stay with a character, and only use him when the game establishes the limit (I think you can't play more than two or three worlds at once with a character before clearing one with the other character).

But yeah. Another long monologue was the one you had with Young Xehanort. It felt like it dragged a bit.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I kid you not when I say this, Dream Drop Distance pays the most tribute to Disney in general. From the use of Dream Dives and touchscreen attacks to the inclusion of Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers to the secret boss of Julius, this game really goes all out with its affiliation with Disney. I also love that it cleverly weaved in The World Ends With You characters whilst they were at the peak of their popularity. Sure, Sora had terrible character development but I'm forgiving of that (to an extent) because of Riku's development in the game (and the fact that the worlds were vastly expansive for a 3DS title).

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Can you imagine having Leon and Co. instead of TWEWY? I like them, but lord I did not need to see their TT time adventures for like the fourth time. So glad for TWEWY.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Can you imagine having Leon and Co. instead of TWEWY? I like them, but lord I did not need to see their TT time adventures for like the fourth time. So glad for TWEWY.

It's what made Traverse Town's return worth it and exciting.

zachen

Awards
It's refreshing to see some positive opinions on DDD!
While it is by no means my favorite kingdom hearts game (Taking into account story and such) it definitely had my FAVORITE combat system. Flowmotion is super fun, and I can't wait to see what they do with it in KH3. Also having ever changing partners that you were able to customize was a very refreshing change of pace (sorry dolan and gooby.)

Also Riku.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
But is it as annoying as his role?

Haha. Good one.

I'm not all up in people's face about it, but I will keep on hating the guy who went from "a creepy stranger is saying weird things and wants my Keyblade, I don't trust him" to "Hoi! I'm Sora, I will become a Keyblade Master! Who are you two scary cyborg dudes? Huh? Why are you grabbing me? Are we going to an amusement park?"

Muke

whatever
Awards
^lmfao

I'm just saying, Sora is literally the only thing I hate about DDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back