• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

American Government looking at a shutdown

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
With the passing of Obamacare(effective at midnight last night EST)the Republican(Tea) Party has threatened to have various services shut down and some indeed are. These include food related programs, tours and access to washington landmarks, suspended tax refunds, and affects the FHA, EPA, FDA, NASA, and National Parks among others.

Looks to me like the Tea Party is having another tantrum. A serious one.

Edit: it happened long before I made this post.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Um, you missed the memo. The United States Government is already shutdown.

It's called the Affordable Care Act.

The GOP. It's not just the Tea Party. What they have done is not shut down these programs themselves, but by not passing a budget they have effectively forced these government programs to cease normal operations.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
This all comes across te me as a bunch of whiny brats whot thought that because they didn't get their way, they're allowed to royally screw over a lot of people. The party doesn't even matter, this is sickening shit and if you resort to something like this, you really don't have any place in a government. You don't deserve to be there.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
I'll start off by saying that I admire the GOP's tenacity in trying to tinker with the Affordable Care Act because I think in its current form it's far from perfect and it probably needs some work.

That being said, it already passed and it did so by the fucking book. Not only that, it was upheld by the Supreme Court. Holding the government hostage and fucking with not only 800,000 government employees directly, but possibly the entirety of both America and the world if this goes on longer than a couple of weeks, is fucking bullshit and the GOP need to suck it up.

You lost. Move on.

moonstar_xo

I'd like to hope that at some point Congress will realize that they're acting like children and work something out soon, and they probably will within the next few days or so, but knowing how stubborn both sides are it's quite possible that this could last for a while. The last time something like this happened was in 1995, in which the government was shut down for 10 days, I think, so hopefully it won't be that long until something is worked out. I think it's mostly on the part of the GOP because, like it was said earlier, the act was passed totally legally and was deemed constitutional by the Supreme Court, so the fact that they're refusing to let it pass it is just ridiculous.

axel95

Awards
I wish people would quit acting like it's all the GOP's fault. Last I knew, Congress is made up of two parties, and neither of them are doing anything close to being productive. If the Democrats really wanted the government to open back up, they'd be more than willing to negotiate with the GOP. I know the Democrats offered to sit down with the GOP long before this happened, and I blame the GOP just as much as I blame the Democrats now. I am really getting sick of our government right now. And with the whole debt ceiling thing coming up on October 17, things are probably going to get a heck of a lot worse before they get any better.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
Grown men are acting like babies, but I guess that's not new news to a lot of people. Either this thing gets better and we can get back to living our lives and ignoring the government as usual or things don't get better. Either way, I'm just gonna proceed to my day-to-day routines which include not caring about the government and their childish antics.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
I mainly blame the Republicans. Hell, Obama and the Democrats could slightly conform just to compromise but Republicans would still not comply just to spite them it seems. As for the shut down, I'm affiliated with the military, so I'm hearing it from all sides right now. One of my friend's an ex Marine and he said that he know this Airforce guy that just walked off his post.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Um, you missed the memo. The United States Government is already shutdown.

It's called the Affordable Care Act.

The GOP. It's not just the Tea Party. What they have done is not shut down these programs themselves, but by not passing a budget they have effectively forced these government programs to cease normal operations.

Yeah, that memo was at the time missed. How embarrassinglol

but I was quickly straightened out on that.

I'll start off by saying that I admire the GOP's tenacity in trying to tinker with the Affordable Care Act because I think in its current form it's far from perfect and it probably needs some work.

That being said, it already passed and it did so by the diddlying book. Not only that, it was upheld by the Supreme Court. Holding the government hostage and diddlying with not only 800,000 government employees directly, but possibly the entirety of both America and the world if this goes on longer than a couple of weeks, is diddlying bullshit and the GOP need to suck it up.

You lost. Move on.

While it is far from perfect, the way I see it, the GOP wouldn't want Obamacare passed in any form unless God himself told them it was his will(fat chance of that happening) to pass it.

They are tenacious though, I'll give you that.

Grown men are acting like babies, but I guess that's not new news to a lot of people. Either this thing gets better and we can get back to living our lives and ignoring the government as usual or things don't get better. Either way, I'm just gonna proceed to my day-to-day routines which include not caring about the government and their childish antics.
If you are living in America(and I'm assuming you are), you really should care because most of what a Government-any Government-does affects its nations residents and citizens. Nobody's asking you to obsess over it, but in the case of our Government, it has never really been ignored.

Last edited:

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
I wish people would quit acting like it's all the GOP's fault. Last I knew, Congress is made up of two parties, and neither of them are doing anything close to being productive. If the Democrats really wanted the government to open back up, they'd be more than willing to negotiate with the GOP. I know the Democrats offered to sit down with the GOP long before this happened, and I blame the GOP just as much as I blame the Democrats now. I am really getting sick of our government right now. And with the whole debt ceiling thing coming up on October 17, things are probably going to get a heck of a lot worse before they get any better.

Why should the Democrats compromise on a bill that was already legally passed and upheld? They shouldn't have to keep worrying about this.

Last edited:

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
If you are living in America(and I'm assuming you are), you really should care because most of what a Government-any Government-does affects its nations residents and citizens. Nobody's asking you to obsess over it, but in the case of our Government, it has never really been ignored.

Yes, I live in America. As for me "not caring", that post of mine was a half truth and half joke. Only reason I said it was cause I don't work myself and neither of my parents — who I live with — don't have jobs that pertain to the Federal Government. Unless, of course, it's more than the Federal Government that is shutting down, then I think I'll start to care just a little bit.

Why should the Democrats compromise on a bill that was already legally passed and upheld? They shouldn't have to keep worry about this.

They could show just a little compromise to at least get the Federal Government back up and running, should said hypothetical compromise happen.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Yes, I live in America. As for me "not caring", that post of mine was a half truth and half joke. Only reason I said it was cause I don't work myself and neither of my parents — who I live with — don't have jobs that pertain to the Federal Government. Unless, of course, it's more than the Federal Government that is shutting down, then I think I'll start to care just a little bit.
I see. That's quite understandable.

In a bit of related news:

Shots heard at Capitol, building under lockdown

Yahoo! said:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Police say the U.S. Capitol has been put on a security lockdown amid reports of possible shots fired outside the building.

People standing outside the Supreme Court across the street from Congress were hurried into the court building by authorities.

In a notice distributed by email, the U.S. Capitol Police advised everyone to "close, lock and stay away from external doors and windows.The notice said gunshots have been reported on Capitol Hill. There are unconfirmed reports of an officer injured.

I say it's related because with the timing and the target, how can it not be?

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
I see. That's quite understandable.

In a bit of related news:

Shots heard at Capitol, building under lockdown

I say it's related because with the timing and the target, how can it not be?

I definitely think these shots fired at Capitol Hill is definitely related, if not motivated, by the recent shutdown. If this continues, some form of anarchy will break out — and that won't be good at all.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
They could show just a little compromise to at least get the Federal Government back up and running, should said hypothetical compromise happen.

The GOP is the opposition party in this government. They lost. They're also acting like thugs, saying they "need to get something out of this and won't be disrespected".

If I were the dems i wouldn't back down either, shit's already passed.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
This will always be a threat in a democratic system. With how diverse people's views are, I'm shocked this doesn't happen more often.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I definitely think these shots fired at Capitol Hill is definitely related, if not motivated, by the recent shutdown. If this continues, some form of anarchy will break out — and that won't be good at all.
You're majorly jumping the gun on that one.

If I were the dems i wouldn't back down either, shit's already passed.
Agreed. If they won't compromise, don't compromise for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back