• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Annualized Final Fantasy?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
Final Fantasy is no stranger to annual releases. There was a time when games would come out every year (and sometimes multiple games would be released in a single year). But with console game development taking longer than ever, and a lack of handhelds, the days of getting a new FF game every year is seemingly a thing of the past. Or is it? After Stranger of Paradise was revealed for next year, I started thinking. Part 1 of the Final Fantasy VII Remake came out last year (2020), this year (2021) could see the release of FFXVI (unlikely but not impossible), SoP is coming in 2022, and FF7R part 2 could potentially be out in 2023. If Square Enix is trying to annualize the franchise once more, then what could we expect for 2024 and beyond (other than VII Remake entries of course)? Is XVII closer than we think? Will X-3 finally be made? More Final Fantasy Origin games? A Tactics revival? Only time will tell.

D

Deleted member 263385

Annualized anything will most likely backfire.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Couldn't be worse than devoting years and years to a project that implodes anyway like what happened with XV. I think that project causing this huge stall both for the FF series *and* the KH series might be why Square has been trying to have something every year now even if it's just something inconsequential like one of the HD ReMIXes.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I think any game company has to find a happy medium between annual and non-annual releases. I think forcing your employees to make AAA annual releases leads to crunch and lower quality games. At the same time, games that take 300 years to come out faces the issue of looking and feeling "old" by the time it releases.

I think a 3-5 year cycle works best. If we taken Square properties I know about, it would work like so:

Year 1: FF
Year 2: KH
Year 3: Dragon Quest
Year 4: Random experiment
Year 5: Random Experiment

then the cycle repeats.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
No FF AAA game is going to see a annual release unless they: a) expand b) acquire c) outsource

Back