• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Any Mac users out there?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Mario64

So, here's the deal. I currently have a Dell Inspiron with an AMD Sempron and 2 GB of memory. I recently installed Windows 7 on it but it runs outrageously slow. I've been considering switching over to a Macbook due to its better reliability. However, my decision is not yet final. I want to know if Mac is a good value for my money. If someone could tell me their experience with Mac including the pros and cons I think that would help me make a better decision. Show me the wisdom of your ways, O great KHI! I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Trag

Bronze Member
no
you are going to pay 1k for something you could have spent 500 dollars on at tigerdirect : P

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
You can't run half the programs on a Mac that a PC with Windows can.
Just clean your computer out, or get a New Processor. Intel > AMD
If your willing to pay the money to buy a Mac, then use that money to buy an Alienware.
You wont be complaining about speed with one of those.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
If you've got the money to buy a Mac, don't get that, or an Alienware (both of which are overpriced purely because of the brand, their price is in no way indicative of their performance). Take that amount of cash, go to newegg.com, and try all sorts of different parts combinations to get what you want. Go with a processor that's a Core i3 or i5, the rest is as you might want it.

Trag

Bronze Member
AMD>Intel any day, intel is retardedly overpriced and AMD makes on-par products.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Can't say much about the technical stuff (I will learn it eventually meep ;___;), but if you've got money to get a Mac, look into getting one. They're VERY much worth it. :< I know I'm going to get a bunch of "PCS ARE AWESOME D:< MACS SUCK RAWR" and stuff, but all of my Mac computers have last a really long time, unlike my PCs that lasted... two years. Maybe. Not even. :C Bad experiences with PCs is bad.

But Macs run fast, they last a long time so you get your money's worth in that way, and they actually can run PC programs. You have to have an Intel computer, but you can install and run Windows on a Mac if you want so you can use the PC-only programs.

Definitely not saying Macs are the greatest computers ever, but meh. Just my opinion. xD;

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
Pros:
Wide viewing angles with IPS
Backlit-keyboard (only on Pro models)
Easily portable
Magsafe Charger
OS X
Touchpad

Cons:
Smaller library of programs

Basically, I love my Macbook Pro 13". I've had it since August 20th, and I have yet to experience a single problem with the laptop. As many people will tell you, it just works. And this touchpad, combined with Expose...omfg. I don't think I could ever go back to using a normal touchpad. The keyboard is also incredibly comfortable, and being backlit it's very nice to use in the dark.

Don't get me wrong, I also really enjoyed my (limited) time with Windows 7, but my Macbook works amazingly well, I don't worry about viruses or malware, it's absolutely gorgeous, and it works for someone that's design-oriented, like myself. To me, it was worth every penny.

If you want a PC, I also hear that the HP Envy 14 is pretty badass.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well, I love my Mac. Had one since late April <3. I haven't had problems with my Mac. The only issue I had was it freezing up, but that was because of a script error on a website so I had to restart and that only happened three times because my dumb self kept trying to get on the website. It is fast, I don't worry about viruses, and I like the overall look of the Mac. My Macbook Pro is sleek, light, and the black on silver is sexy lmao.

You can run most Windows programs on a Mac so there is no need to worry about that. Mac also has better alternatives for those programs. I'd recommend it if you have the spare 1k for one.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Ah, there we go.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3687/gdq61.jpg

Mac's aren't bad, and they do get made well. They just get exorbitantly priced purely because of the brand. They're simply not worth getting, unless you have the money to throw around and are set on getting only a Mac, rather than a superior computer for the same price.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I do admit they are over priced. But they do last you and there is no need to buy a new Mac after a new version comes out because your Mac will still work and be up to date and most new features that come out in a new version of Mac are small and unneeded unless you are an Apple nut and HAVE TO HAVE the latest stuff. I can't stand Windows and after having Windows for 19 years, the viruses and new operating system every three years was bothering me. My previous laptop I had died within a year of owning it, but I made it last for four before it died.

At least with a Mac, you don't have to worry about viruses that much which was my main reason for investing in one.

Closing comment:

At least you aren't planning on buying an iPad. Unless they make the iPad run Mac OS X and put multiple USB ports, an SD/MS/other media card slot, bigger hard drive, and more memory for under 500, then it isn't worth buying.

O

Oberon

I actually really adore Mac's. They're very sleek. Though as Infinity has said, they're unbelievably overpriced. The Mac's my work uses cost ~$1500-2000 for the average consumer (haven't looked up exactly but the new iMac's aren't exactly cheap). I wouldn't go and buy one of those ever. If I ever buy a Mac it'll probably be a laptop like a Pro. 15" at most, with minimum specs.

But for that price I can build my own supercomputer... it's really just irritating to debate with myself on Mac's. They're great, but damn the brand.

Siren

Awards
iMac can be 1200, which is all most people need. Just saying.

Awards
There are only two types of people who should ever own a Mac: people who are frequently working on projects that require video and sound editing, and people who are computer illiterate. My grandpa was born in 1930. He still owns a television with knobs on the front and wood paneling on the sides. Does not know a thing about computers. If he decided tomorrow that he wanted to buy a laptop, I would absolutely recommend a MacBook to him. They're about as idiot-proof as any computer you'll find on the market today, and they practically service themselves, but that ease of use comes at the cost of a lot of freedom that you would find on a PC. I don't necessarily fault people for going with the computer that's a little easier to maintain, but I also don't think I would ever decide to drop a grand on a new laptop because it was easier than learning how to take care of the shit that I own. Macs are only more stable and more reliable if you don't understand computers.

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
There are two types of people that get Macs. The first time are the computer illiterate that think Macs are impervious to viruses and other malware. These are the users that cause PEBKAC and ID-10-T errors. The second type are "hipsters" that buy Macs and other Apple products because "that's the thing to do" these days.

If you fall into one of those two categories OR find a great deal (meaning you can get a Mac for the same price as a comparable Windows-powered laptop), go for it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
There are only two types of people who should ever own a Mac: people who are frequently working on projects that require video and sound editing, and people who are computer illiterate. My grandpa was born in 1930. He still owns a television with knobs on the front and wood paneling on the sides. Does not know a thing about computers. If he decided tomorrow that he wanted to buy a laptop, I would absolutely recommend a MacBook to him. They're about as idiot-proof as any computer you'll find on the market today, and they practically service themselves, but that ease of use comes at the cost of a lot of freedom that you would find on a PC. I don't necessarily fault people for going with the computer that's a little easier to maintain, but I also don't think I would ever decide to drop a grand on a new laptop because it was easier than learning how to take care of the shit that I own. Macs are only more stable and more reliable if you don't understand computers.

I'm sure a lot of PC users would disagree with that statement. The general consumer who shops for a computer buys a PC because they believe it to be easier to use than a Mac.

The PC allows for tons of customization for a lower cost, but most aren't going to take their time searching for parts. looking for the right software, and which OS to use. Most also don't want to sit around and do extra coding to maximize security (because one can hardly trust anti-virus protection today) You get a computer tailored to your needs, but people aren't about to spend the time doing that. I know I don't have the time to sit and practice various programming languages. The average consumer IS looking for convenience.

Siren

Awards
That's all delightful, but how many of you have owned, or used for a decent period of time, a Mac? In my experience, those that don't like Macs (or any other type of tech that's different from their preferred brand) don't actually have a proper point of comparison. From a hardware standpoint. I've never used a better keyboard or touchpad, and the screen is stunning.

Many also forget that Macs can load Windows. Any PC that can load OS X? No.

Also, I'm (primarily) a writer, and I've found that writing on a Mac is great. Full-screen= no distractions, and the long battery life enables me to write without fear. Add the ridiculously quick start-up, and you have a productivity powerhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back