• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Any recommendation for a gaming PC?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AegisXIII

Awards
Now that the series is going on PC, it might be interesting to know what you guys would recommend for gaming, since I am planning to play the series again on it.
I have dropped pc for gaming for a while and went full console because I always want an optimize experience. But now that I got a real job, I have a bit more resources to spend on an good machine.

So first of all:
- Build from scratch or buy a fully functional computer?
- intel cpu or amd cpu?
- Nvidia or nvidia (is there anything else for raytracing?)

Awards
East of England, Buried in a Void of Non-Existence
Now that the series is going on PC, it might be interesting to know what you guys would recommend for gaming, since I am planning to play the series again on it.
I have dropped pc for gaming for a while and went full console because I always want an optimize experience. But now that I got a real job, I have a bit more resources to spend on an good machine.

So first of all:
- Build from scratch or buy a fully functional computer?
- intel cpu or amd cpu?
- Nvidia or nvidia (is there anything else for raytracing?)
As MATGSY said, asking on r/buildapc is probably your best bet, but it won't hurt to answer your questions all the same.

1. If you feel confident that you could follow a guide and build a PC yourself, you should do it this way; pre-built computers cost a little more than the total sum of their individual parts because you're paying someone else to put it together for you, so it'll save you a bit of money to build it first-hand. There are plenty of tutorials and online guides around that could talk you through the process and the dos and don'ts.
2. Both of these are good ways to go. Intel is generally considered the king of gaming CPUs, but AMD has crept up on them in the last few months on top of being the go-to for multi-tasking; they also have the benefit of being pretty friendly with upgrading, where Intel usually demand that you buy a new motherboard for their bigger and better CPUs down the road. Due to scalpers and high demand, you might have trouble getting your hands on AMD's latest CPU lineup, the 5000 series, but 3000 series will also serve you well if you go in that direction.
3. AMD is NVIDIA's direct competitor, and their latest GPUs also do raytracing, but they don't really hold a candle to NVIDIA at the moment - largely because AMD's latest GPU isn't fully geared towards it. NVIDIA also has the advantage of better hardware rendering for stuff like streaming or video rendering, if that's of any interest to you. But as with AMD's CPUs, both AMD and NVIDIA's GPUs are in short supply and high demand due to scalping and the current global situation.

The important thing to figure out first is what you want to be doing with the computer you get: will you be making content, do you just want to game casually, do you want to go balls-to-the-walls with other, more demanding games like Cyberpunk and Red Dead Redemption 2? If your main goal is to just play Kingdom Hearts III at the most in a decent quality and framerate, odds are you could build a suitable PC for about as much as a PS5 would cost you. And then you have the added benefit of being able to upgrade your PC parts in the future if you want to be doing more with your system, while preserving much of what you already have.

AegisXIII

Awards
As MATGSY said, asking on r/buildapc is probably your best bet, but it won't hurt to answer your questions all the same.

1. If you feel confident that you could follow a guide and build a PC yourself, you should do it this way; pre-built computers cost a little more than the total sum of their individual parts because you're paying someone else to put it together for you, so it'll save you a bit of money to build it first-hand. There are plenty of tutorials and online guides around that could talk you through the process and the dos and don'ts.
2. Both of these are good ways to go. Intel is generally considered the king of gaming CPUs, but AMD has crept up on them in the last few months on top of being the go-to for multi-tasking; they also have the benefit of being pretty friendly with upgrading, where Intel usually demand that you buy a new motherboard for their bigger and better CPUs down the road. Due to scalpers and high demand, you might have trouble getting your hands on AMD's latest CPU lineup, the 5000 series, but 3000 series will also serve you well if you go in that direction.
3. AMD is NVIDIA's direct competitor, and their latest GPUs also do raytracing, but they don't really hold a candle to NVIDIA at the moment - largely because AMD's latest GPU isn't fully geared towards it. NVIDIA also has the advantage of better hardware rendering for stuff like streaming or video rendering, if that's of any interest to you. But as with AMD's CPUs, both AMD and NVIDIA's GPUs are in short supply and high demand due to scalping and the current global situation.

The important thing to figure out first is what you want to be doing with the computer you get: will you be making content, do you just want to game casually, do you want to go balls-to-the-walls with other, more demanding games like Cyberpunk and Red Dead Redemption 2? If your main goal is to just play Kingdom Hearts III at the most in a decent quality and framerate, odds are you could build a suitable PC for about as much as a PS5 would cost you. And then you have the added benefit of being able to upgrade your PC parts in the future if you want to be doing more with your system, while preserving much of what you already have.
Wow. I couldn't have asked for a better answer. Thanks.
I think I want a PC that I will upgrade continuously as a way to learn some new things on the hardware side. I am gonna use it mainly for gaming and do some 3D rendering that demands high GPU power.

I will have a look at the reddit page, thanks.

lucky.peic

Awards
Wow. I couldn't have asked for a better answer. Thanks.
I think I want a PC that I will upgrade continuously as a way to learn some new things on the hardware side. I am gonna use it mainly for gaming and do some 3D rendering that demands high GPU power.

I will have a look at the reddit page, thanks.
If you are going to be doing some serious 3d rendering or even modelling scenes and characters then i would suggest nvidia rtx 3090, really expensive gpu but plenty of video ram which is mostly a requierment if you are gonna be rendering big scenes using GPU renderer

My almost complete setup for gaming and some 3d work consists of intel core i9 10900k, 64GB gskill ram, MSI z490 ACE mobo, corsair ax1600i psu, phanteks 719 case, two samusng ssd and two WD hdds for storage, currently i am still waiting on GPUs to be back in stock so i can finish the setup, gonna be running two rtx 3090 in SLI cause i do some 3d modelling and rendering so two 3090 is a must for me, the only issue is that they are out of stock EVERYWHERE here in EU so getting even one is hard :(

AegisXIII

Awards
If you are going to be doing some serious 3d rendering or even modelling scenes and characters then i would suggest nvidia rtx 3090, really expensive gpu but plenty of video ram which is mostly a requierment if you are gonna be rendering big scenes using GPU renderer

My almost complete setup for gaming and some 3d work consists of intel core i9 10900k, 64GB gskill ram, MSI z490 ACE mobo, corsair ax1600i psu, phanteks 719 case, two samusng ssd and two WD hdds for storage, currently i am still waiting on GPUs to be back in stock so i can finish the setup, gonna be running two rtx 3090 in SLI cause i do some 3d modelling and rendering so two 3090 is a must for me, the only issue is that they are out of stock EVERYWHERE here in EU so getting even one is hard :(
Yeah. I know about the shortage. Apparently it's gonna last a while. Insane days we are living now. Did you build yours from scratch?

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I'm totally a Nvidia girl, and right now I'm kinda sorry I've been delaying a rebuild myself. (Leaning toward AMD for processor though, even tho my current's a intel.)

I'd recommend though that if you don't want to brave Reddit, try BlueGartr (but beware of trolls). I've never had a problem asking about pcs on their tech board.

lucky.peic

Awards
Yeah. I know about the shortage. Apparently it's gonna last a while. Insane days we are living now. Did you build yours from scratch?
Yup, building it myself, at the moment all parts are sitting in boxes cause im waiting on GPUs but i have built multiple PCs by myself in the past, the only thing i will be doing here for the first time is making a watercooling loop for GPUs, never did that in the past but i am usually very careful so i hope there wont be any leaks :)

For CPU i am using AIO watercooler, for gpus im building custom loop

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
As a fellow Swiss I'd suggestgetting your parts from Digtec webshop, seeing they have a great search and comparison function, though you might also be interested in the Microspot webshop.

As others have stated now isnt a good time to build a computer. They're mostly out of CPUs and GPUs, blame the current cypto bubble.

Also my friends (IT guys and gamers) all say to go with AMD and not intel.

lucky.peic

Awards
As a fellow Swiss I'd suggestgetting your parts from Digtec webshop, seeing they have a great search and comparison function, though you might also be interested in the Microspot webshop.

As others have stated now isnt a good time to build a computer. They're mostly out of CPUs and GPUs, blame the current cypto bubble.

Also my friends (IT guys and gamers) all say to go with AMD and not intel.
Yeah, AMD is now really a good competition to intel, but still some people perfer intel, i have been using intel CPUs for years so i will probably stay with them but yeah, AMD is really a good option now

Cumguardian69

Awards
Build your own. r/buildapc is a joke, use logical increments.

Always shop for equivalents - a 3090 is essentially a 2080Ti. Right now isn't good for the GFX card market because of cryptomining. Also don't go monstrous - Excellent is more than enough for KH games. example build:

i7 8700
1070ti
16GB DDR4
650w PSU

Last edited:
Awards
I have a question too that’s kind of related. What if I was already decided on purchasing a pre-built PC? Are there any good resources for help and info on that? Personally, I use a Mac right now as my computer, and although I love how easy it is to use, there are some games I would like to play that I don’t currently have access to. I mostly play on consoles, and I own a PS5 and a Nintendo Switch. There are some Microsoft exclusive games I am interested in playing — particularly upcoming ones like Everwild, Hellblade 2: Senua’s Saga, Halo Infinite, and perhaps even Starfield depending on whether it turns out to be Microsoft exclusive. I also, of course, would potentially want to replay all the Kingdom Hearts games. Keeping those games in mind, along with using the PC as my primary computer for generic word processing, internet browsing, etc., would it be better just to purchase an Xbox Series X or S for those Microsoft exclusives, or could a powerful enough pre-built PC currently on the market run those games decently? I know some of them are unreleased titles, and it’s hard to tell what specs might be necessary, but I would imagine some of them could be rather demanding in terms of specs. Plus, with all of the shortages going on right now, I’ve heard from some that even finding a good pre-built PC can be difficult right now too.

I also don’t mind if the PC doesn’t run those games at 60fps. I’m perfectly okay with having to use lower settings and even play those games at 30fps. I’m just looking to have access to certain Microsoft exclusives, and to re-purchase the Kingdom Hearts games as well. So, would it be better just to get an Xbox for that? Or is a PC a safe choice for those games/tasks too?

I personally don’t want to build a PC, since I’ll have enough on my plate learning how to use the Windows OS after coming from a Mac. I’m willing to learn how to upgrade certain parts if that’s a possibility, but I don’t want to build it all from scratch. I’m okay with paying more for a pre-built PC as long as the PC can last for a good while and run those games decently.

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I’m really new to this after using Macs my entire life.

Back