• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Apprentice Vanitas

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon's Knight

Currently [REDACTED]
Well, the emptiness definition sounds good enough to me, but some words can end up having multiple definitions. That is the problem. Anyways, Vanitas seems like a cool name. Ven and Van. That supports my idea that Ven replaced Vanitas as Terra's and Aqua's friends.

Xehanort

The Death Alchemist
Awards
Ok. Just so you guys know, I've been taking Latin for several years now. My Latin professor also confirmed that Vanitas means the things I listed in this thread.

If you need more evidence here's an online Latin Word Dictionary which provides those as a few of the meanings: Words

Here's another Latin entry: Vanitas definition by Babylon's free dictionary

I will also look it up in Latin book dictionaries.

Igshar

?The Jack of all Trades?
Awards
kh wiki specificlaly is very loose and holds many thoeries, just read up on vanitas article. it shouldnt be trusted until after the game releases.

vanitas may possibly be a latin word, but no real definition has appeared. why? emptiness=infrequentia (over 5 webistes) and other and another both = Alius (same amount of online translator websites)

i would say 4. since all those other definitions lead to other latin words
You're doing it wrong.

Vanitas is an abstract word. 99.99% of online translation engines give you the most concrete word in the target language as possible. Your first problem is translating english words into Latin... They're not talking about literal translations, they're talking about definitions, something which you won't get correctly in a translation engine.
i hope they call him Van

it sounds evil
No, it sounds like Vaan from FFXII. Please, never again.
That or the little painter kid Van from Chrono Cross... Neither of those two are very cool.

Allister Rose

French Lover
Vanitas is an abstract word. 99.99% of online translation engines give you the most concrete word in the target language as possible. Your first problem is translating english words into Latin... They're not talking about literal translations, they're talking about definitions, something which you won't get correctly in a translation engine.

i dont translate the english words until vanitas doesn't appear in the online translator at all. but that's not the point, it's weird for TAV to have direct latin translation and vanitas to have an abstract one

K

kitowskiv

anyone see any similarities riku replica and vanitas
256472-111374-riku_large.jpg

Riku_Replicagood.jpg

Vanitas.png

Xehanort

The Death Alchemist
Awards
Vanitas is a direct translation just like TAV. There not much hidden meaning in it, just like their names.

Allister Rose

French Lover
Vanitas is a direct translation just like TAV. There not much hidden meaning in it, just like their names.

not really, it's an abstract latin word. while terra, aqua and ventus arent abstract. it's not as direct unless you find it specifically in a dictionary

Xehanort

The Death Alchemist
Awards
I've found the definitions in dictionaries. Those emptiness and foolishness are abstract ideas does not mean they're not the direct definitions of vanitas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back