• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Artificial life breakthrough

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

_EX

ShadowSoldier V2.0
Just like the Triffids....
We all know how that turned out for us.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
And so it begins.
Welp, better start practicing.

Is it too early to say: "I for one, welcome our artificial overlords"

In all seriousness, this could have some very good applications. And some very bad. Guess which'll be worked on first.

tangerine

Awards
Fantastic. I have to say that critics such as Dr Helen Wallace aren't really thinking their criticisms through, though. Nothing is made and simply released on a large scale with a "let's see what happens" attitude. It's highly unlikely that this is what would happen with future synthetic organism developments. Non-urgent scientific advances are usually researched and tested for many years to proper standards and many years more undergoing patents and other paperwork before they're released publicly or applied for commercial or pharmaceutical use, and I'm sure it will be no different for synthetic organisms.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Relatedly, we humans created our own life. Now let's send it to Mars.

(is it its own species, does taxonomy handle it?)

E

Eyesore

Superhuman babies ftw.
My dreams as a kid are getting closer as I get older.

Tenyas

RE: +"T!red"+
I suppose, in theory, they could make simple organisms through constructing enough cells that would naturally work together. Imagining something big right now is kinda hard to imagine, though, since they seem to only be able to make the directive center of the cell and not the shell of it.

Still, this is pretty dang neat.

I want my hovercar now.

Jozi

Du-dun-dananana Calibrations!
Cure for cancer?
Enhanced aesthetic limbs?
Real cyborgs?
So many new options...

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
This is amazing, but at this point they just created DNA and implanted it in a cell. We've got a ways to go before creating organisms.

Just created DNA =/? DNA is what separates species one from the other. We basically invented a whole species out of nothing. Must we also create our own membrane and organelles before we can say we created an organism? What's the point of that?

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Seems a bit silly, no? The DNA transformed the original cell into the cell the DNA had stored in it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back