• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Atheist?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythological Omega

the arsenal of megadeth
Therefore, I want to ask you Atheists how many of you have exposure to other religions? How many of you Atheists have tried to find other religious philosophies? Do the majority of you Atheist disbelieve in God or simply the Christian God?

I think that it's a fairly interesting question so please respond. :confused:

I was born into a Jewish family and I tried accepting Judaism for years. I decided to abandon Judaism because of all the stereotypes. I'll be the first to admit that abandoning any religion based on stereotypes is the worst reason imaginable, I was just sick of hearing them everywhere. As far as atheism goes, I like to consider myself an agnostic atheist; I don't believe that any "higher power" is watching over us, but I'm open to the possibility that I'm wrong and God truly exists.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I dismiss all gods on based on the fact that there is no evidence to support something that is physically impossible. Something so ridiculous that tries to take the wonder out of the universe. Something that encourages for you to settle with an [unproven] answer and never wonder about the origins of all that is out there. Something that demotes free thinking and learning and expanding our knowledge. The universe is a wonderful place, it is magnificent and full of wonder. There is no reason that we shouldn't learn about it, no reason not to study it, no reason not to explore it, no reason to not think.

We shouldn't accept something ridiculous when there is no evidence to support it. If it wasn't socially acceptable most people would view religion as an insane concept.

Are you pretentious because you're an atheist or are you an atheist because you're pretentious?

Not to attack but that's a rather large assumption, especially looking back on history where there plenty of examples to totally verify that solution and at the same time totally defy it.

D

Deleted member 36435

Are you pretentious because you're an atheist or are you an atheist because you're pretentious?

Not to attack but that's a rather large assumption, especially looking back on history where there plenty of examples to totally verify that solution and at the same time totally defy it.
No, because that is what a god is. It's an answer to questions which we haven't answered. It encourages people to settle for these answers.
If you have some sort of information that says otherwise, I'm all ears.

Sure PEOPLE that follow these gods or their words go against that, but that's not the topic at hand, is it?

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
Can I just point out that nobody can be atheist or theist yet - think hard on it, and you will realise that everyone is really agnostic since we have neither witnessed God(s) nor haven't witnessed God(s). You may believe in your heart of hearts that God(s) is or isn't there because you do or don't feel him, but there is nothing to back the credibility of your religion or lack thereof when taking into consideration that if you had been brought up with a different religion or with a religion in the first place, your beliefs would be completely different. So just take that in mind when you declare your allegiance to one or nothing.

However, to make things simpler, I am an 'atheist' because I was brought up without religion. I did, however, go to a religious school and attend church for a few years of my life as well as partake in religious activities, and I know more about certain religions than most of my religious friends (Siren's statement rings true), but in spite of this religious 'experience' I have never seriously wavered in my lack of belief. While I respect the fact that someone is religious, I tend to be irreligious myself and not because of the different mythologies that make up the creation story but rather because I don't agree with the concept of religion as a whole. As mentioned, I don't know if God(s) does/do or doesn't/don't exist, but I find the idea of religion as an entity repulsive. That is why I have continued to be an 'atheist'.

D

Deleted member 36435

Can I just point out that nobody can be atheist or theist yet - think hard on it, and you will realise that everyone is really agnostic since we have neither witnessed God(s) nor haven't witnessed God(s). You may believe in your heart of hearts that God(s) is or isn't there because you do or don't feel him, but there is nothing to back the credibility of your religion or lack thereof when taking into consideration that if you had been brought up with a different religion or with a religion in the first place, your beliefs would be completely different. So just take that in mind when you declare your allegiance to one or nothing.
Well, that isn't how that works.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Can I just point out that nobody can be atheist or theist yet
Not quite. Anyone who holds a positive or negative stance towards the validity of any religion could not have their beliefs definitively validated, but that's not the same as someone not being an a/theist.

Pirates

I have enough knowledge of other religions to get by. Im no scholar at other religions but I have a bigger bone to pick with Christianity than anything else.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
What am I if I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of a god, but I'm more inclined to perceive the universe as a force?

The Force surrounds us and penetrates us doesn't it, Padawan Stooge? ;P

Or you could just call it CosmoStoogism and act pretentious and safe within your own created religious doctrine of Stooge's day in life.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
While my beliefs are not strictly atheist, they aren't theist either. I believe there is a presence -- or as Johnny Stooge puts it, a force -- in our universe, far greater than humans could hope to comprehend, that drives its workings. I also believe that all religions are essentially slightly varying interpretations of this sentience. However, I remain skeptical toward institutionalized religion because human involvement has the tendency to taint even the most innocent and pure of ideals with greed and the lust for power. That, once upon a time, the Church and the state were one and the same illustrates this.

My logic for this is that we observe the concept of emergence in most, if not all, complex things. Protons and electrons combine to form atoms. Atoms of different elements combine to form entirely different chemicals. A cell, the most basic unit of life, is made of chemicals; it controls the chemical reactions that occur within it, reactions that define life, using other chemicals. Cells amalgamate to form more complex life forms, which are capable of things far beyond the reach of unicellular organisms. Intra- and inter- special interactions form an ecology.

The next step in this progression must be some form of global consciousness which feeds into an interplanetary, then intergalactic and final universal metaconsciousness greater than its constituent parts.

I don't know where this belief stands. It's just something that appeals to my logic.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
The Force surrounds us and penetrates us doesn't it, Padawan Stooge? ;P

Or you could just call it CosmoStoogism and act pretentious and safe within your own created religious doctrine of Stooge's day in life.
I have no idea what you're trying to say. But stop fucking talking to me.

Shinra

Banned
Awards
my family house ranges from Catholic to protestant and as I said in another thread that mentions the great book known as the bible:
To me... Religion is nothing more than the fandom of a largely circulated redited rendition of a children's lesson book... in hopes of telling us all the lessons of life, one has made it clear... and they use differing basic literary elements to convey these lessons... and some people are dumb enough to believe it's the book and the beings within the book we should value. but I believe it's the lessons that count and those lessons have been handed down for a long time... sure the Bible has been around just as long, but I say... It's the lessons that count and so long as we hold those lessons in our hearts, we will know what to do when the time comes.

That and I find that gods are simply illogical. if you want proof on why I think so, PM or message me.

Shinra

Banned
Awards
I know it's not about the bible but this refers to christianity in general which revolves around that one book... I find that Religion has a basis on some sort of relic, monument or text like the bible... and Christianity and Catholicism revolve around the book itself as well as the characthers within... so what's to say a religion that revolves around a book is so different from the fanbase of a really popular novel?

as for why I think gods are illogical, I simply find that there is a highly unlikely chance that there was a being that was born alongside the universe or before it... but I accept it as a possibility but until there is physical proof of that, I will accept that there is no god at this moment.

kingdomkey96

Omniversally considered a badass.
I know it's not about the bible but this refers to christianity in general which revolves around that one book... I find that Religion has a basis on some sort of relic, monument or text like the bible... and Christianity and Catholicism revolve around the book itself as well as the characthers within... so what's to say a religion that revolves around a book is so different from the fanbase of a really popular novel?

as for why I think gods are illogical, I simply find that there is a highly unlikely chance that there was a being that was born alongside the universe or before it... but I accept it as a possibility but until there is physical proof of that, I will accept that there is no god at this moment.

This thread isn't about Christianity is what I meant.

Plus do you mind expanding on why you find that illogical? Not saying you're wrong but I would like to hear your actual reasoning.

Shinra

Banned
Awards
as of now I find it illogical that 'god' or gods even exist because of the many misinterpretations that man has made so far in history... what if there are no gods and these thoughts were the result of some ancient hallucinegenic plant and the human who wrote the bible and somehow gained 'enlightenment' or 'the inspiration' to write the bible by some how interacting with said plant.

kingdomkey96

as of now I find it illogical that 'god' or gods even exist because of the many misinterpretations that man has made so far in history... what if there are no gods and these thoughts were the result of some ancient hallucinegenic plant and the human who wrote the bible and somehow gained 'enlightenment' or 'the inspiration' to write the bible by some how interacting with said plant.

Seems to me as if you're doubting God as humans know It, not God Itself.

Also, do you really believe that a 'drug' essentially caused a person to become intoxicated and said person's first hallucination was of God so he wrote a Bible or other ancient text.

In that case, the concept of God must have already existed within him or his society. So once again:

Seems to me as if you're doubting God as humans know It, not God Itself.

Shinra

Banned
Awards
well there is no real proof of gods except for the religions that worship them... and those people are probbably brainwashed into thinking that god does exist.

kingdomkey96

well there is no real proof of gods except for the religions that worship them... and those people are probbably brainwashed into thinking that god does exist.

Oh? So we should or shouldn't believe in a concept based solely on our ancestors?

Also, why do you believe that these people are 'brainwashed' into thinking that God exists.

I can see where you are coming from in the case of Christianity perhaps. From what little I know, the Church wanted power which it could only get from having a large number of loyal followers.

But what about certain branches of Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism? Explain.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Oh? So we should or shouldn't believe in a concept based solely on our ancestors?
Just going to say: of course we shouldn't. If we did things like our ancestors purely for the reason that our ancestors did things that way, we'd never have any change or advancement in society or science.
Also, why do you believe that these people are 'brainwashed' into thinking that God exists.
Because those that believe typically are bombarded with the 'message of God' from a very early age when they've no way to know any different or resist such indoctrination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back