• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Aus Govt. Releases Discussion Paper for R18+ Video Games Rating - Aussies come hither

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
'It's been a long time coming, but the much-demanded public discussion paper on the Australian Classification Board's stance on the R18+ rating debate is now available. This is your chance to consider the paper's arguments for and against the introduction of an R18+ classification for video games.'

-
AU: Government R18+ Discussion Paper Now Available - Games story - at IGN

Now we, the public, can finally have an official say on Australia's lack of an R18+ classification for video games.

Australia's lack of a Restricted classification for video games has caused the refusal of classification of several popular video games, the most recent including Left 4 Dead 2 (which resulted in a heavily modified alternative) and banning of the upcoming Aliens Vs. Predator game. The producers of Aliens Vs. Predator have also stated that they will not be editing the game for sale in Australia. As in, it will never be sold here so long as Australia doesn't have an R18+ rating.

Australia remains the only developed nation not to have it's own R18+ or equivalent rating for video games. If you're Australian, and you've got an opinion on the subject, head to the Govt. website, download the discussion paper, and submit your thoughts.

discussion paper and submission form available
An R18+ Classification for Computer Games - Public Consultation

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Also of note (and stupidity) is that there is only one person in the government holding it back, the Atkinson guy. He's the only real reason it's not being adopted, and it's sad because he has barely any clue about what he's arguing about, and some of his arguments don't even make sense.

Also, I wasn't sure about this the first time I saw it. Do I download the paper, fill it out, and then email it as an attachment, or list my answers in the email? If it's the former, how specifically do I answer the questions, delete the ones that aren't my answer, bold the one that is?

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It says in 'word format', so I'd say attached as a .doc.

I know!! He makes no sense!! Arrrgh.

I really did have a hard time choosing the stupidest objection to comment on, so here are all the 'reasons' we cant have an R18+ rating

Some of the arguments presented in opposition to the R18+ rating include:
- Games should be treated differently from films because of the "negative effects of interactivity on players".

lol yeah funny that. I do agree... but why would that be against an R18+ rating...? If anything, it would be for one, since y'know, we could then rate these games with a higher impact properly, and restrict them so kids can access unsuitable content.

- It would be difficult for parents to enforce age restrictions for computer games.

...uh.

Why would an R18+ rating change that?

Seriously. Kids couldn't buy a R18+ ie "restricted for sale to over 18yo's only" game, so they wouldn't be playing it... unless the parents bought it for them.

In which case there is a really fucking obvious solution to this problem, and if the parents cant figure it out, they are too stupid to have kids.

- A higher quantity of games would be released with higher level content that minors could access.

Once again, the whole "but think of the kiddies omg!!".

It's an R-freakin'-18+ rating.

How is it a plausible arguement that "kids might access it"? The whole entire point of an R18+ rating is so that kids cant. (I do agree with what I've read elsewhere... plenty of games rated 17+ or 18+ overseas have been shoehorned into a MA15+ rating here -- where kids can access it. Getting an R18+ rating would solve that problem.)

- Indigenous communities and other non-English speaking people may not be able to understand the classification labels.

Wow, cant you just smell the desperation?

It's almost funny except for the fact that we can argue against crap all we want and those morons will still get their way >.>

Obvious rebuttal a) So get the material translated like everything else. Not to mention the "R18+" is kinda a giveaway even if you don't speak english

Obvious rebuttal b) If that is true then we better get rid of the whole entire classification system, amirite? Non-english speaking people might not understand all those classification labels!

Elephant in the room point a) Isn't that point... uh, kinda offensive to Indigenous communities? Nice to know racism is still alive and well >.>

- There is no demonstrated need to change existing restrictions.

Ok that fact this discussion paper even exists should point otherwise, but hey, let's all put our fingers in our ears and start humming. Maybe this will all go away...

*sigh* Yeah, this is why everyone I know just either imports or pirates (or both) video games. Isn't Australia fan-fucking-tastic?

Awards
There are two documents to download; the discussion paper, and the submission form. The submission form can be found just under the discussion paper. Download the submission paper to send your response.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
What "against"? There's nothing that would negatively occur by adding a rating classification for adults. At this point, they have they moronic idea that 15-year-olds have the same rights as adults, and maturity of mind, to purchase the most mature content, and that if it's over a 15-year-old limit, hard-working, free-willed adults never get to see the game.

Adults should not be prohibited from playing what they want.

Radon

mofo
I want it to pass in three years.. when I turn 18. Mwa ha ha.

Seriously though it's pretty dumb for us not to have this. Like what Dogen said, they're basing it on the idea that adults are the same as 15 year olds. Why do we have R rated movies, yet not games? Adults are being treated like teenagers and only allowed to buy what is suitable for a 15 year old, when everyone knows that what may not be suitable for a 15 year old is considered suitable for an adult.

An R rating should have been introduced long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back