• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Axel's voice actor preys on his female fanbase on social media

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nukara

Awards
Nothing, but Axel is now sullied by that disgusting voice. Whatever like I have for him is gone, and I couldn't care less what happens with the subject X plot. Not like it'll change my initial opinion about trios becoming bland.
If Axel is only Quinton Flynn for you, it's already your problem that you judge a character only by his dubbing voice. Take my word for it that most likely no one will find out about this situation outside of Twitter and this forum. Not everyone is actively following VA, most are just enjoying the game and the characters. (Sometimes people should remember that Kingdom hearts is first and foremost a game, and then everything else) Therefore, these people most likely will not even understand who voiced Axel there, and even if he is replaced, they will also not be in the know. I'm already silent about the Japanese audience for which Quinton Flynn is absolutely nobody. I'm sure even Nomura is not aware of who voices his characters overseas, other than English VA Eragus and Xehanort, whom he hand-picked. The Japanese audience should not be held responsible for the fact that overseas one of the VAs has problems.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Iirc, this isn’t the series’ first rodeo with a VA scandal, right? I think there was a Japanese VA who dubbed for Disney that was embroiled in a sex scandal as well. Can’t remember who…

Nukara

Awards
To the people saying Axel should be shelved because of this, tell me; how would you feel if your favourite character from some other movie, show, game, or whatever, was shelved because their, let’s say, French voice actor, or German voice actor, turned out to be scummy? How would you feel if that favourite character was suddenly exiled from the series all because of a voice actor in a foreign dub that means nothing to you?

Would suck pretty hard, wouldn’t it?

I’m sure it’d suck for the creator too. “Hey so this character you’ve been putting a lot of work and development into and who everybody loves, we want them gone now. Oh it’s nothing you’ve done, it’s just our VA for them did something bad and now we can’t listen to them without associating the two. Yeah it sucks for all the international fans out there who don’t even hear our dub, but those are the breaks.”

[/QUOTE]
I absolutely agree, I live in Russia and I don't want to lose my favorite character, just because the English (!) VA is not a very good person.
In general, I think that the most correct and unique voice acting of KH is Japanese, and the English dubbing is just a good translation.
I will say more, except for KH, I do not recognize English voice acting at all and which will never replace the original Japanese voices.

PikaPal

Awards
Iirc, this isn’t the series’ first rodeo with a VA scandal, right? I think there was a Japanese VA who dubbed for Disney that was embroiled in a sex scandal as well. Can’t remember who…
Pierre Taki wasn't it? He was the Japanese VA for Olaf from Frozen. He also got replaced in Sega's Judgment.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Pierre Taki wasn't it? He was the Japanese VA for Olaf from Frozen. He also got replaced in Sega's Judgment.
If you’re talking about Pierre Taki; it was a drug scandal, not a sex one.
Ah, yeah, him. Thanks for the clarification. I wonder if he’s part French or his parents just hate him or something.

Edit: oh it was a work name.

redcrown

Awards
It must really suck to be an Axel fan right now, at least for English speaking fans (or other language fans that heavily associate his character with his English VA). Imagining a character I love being voiced by someone that creepy, I don't know how I'd cope with that.

This is beyond politics or opinions, I don't see him being that employable in voice dubbing work after this; unless I'm here wrong and outed predatory VAs routinely don't lose their jobs over things like this? I didn't know this sort of scandal was common in the VA/ dubbing industry.

Last edited:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
It must really suck to be an Axel fan right now, at least for English speaking fans (or other language fans that heavily associate his character with his English VA).

This is beyond politics or opinions, I don't see him being that employable in voice dubbing work after this; unless I'm here wrong and outed predatory VAs routinely don't lose their jobs over things like this? I didn't know this sort of scandal was common in the VA/ dubbing industry.
Hard to say for the longest time, in the entertainment industry these things tended to be swept under the rug.

But I think that's been changing recently. If I remember correctly Qrow's VA from RoosterTeeth's Rwby had a similar scandal and it took awhile for it to reach the boiling point, but once it did, they dumped and replaced him. We'll just have to wait and see how Disney and Square will handle this.

redcrown

Awards
Hard to say for the longest time, in the entertainment industry these things tended to be swept under the rug.

But I think that's been changing recently. If I remember correctly Qrow's VA from RoosterTeeth's Rwby had a similar scandal and it took awhile for it to reach the boiling point, but once it did, they dumped and replaced him. We'll just have to wait and see how Disney and Square will handle this.

Hmm, I guess that means it'll be more about Disney and Square's policies and PR tolerance towards what their voice actors do than the VA industry in general.

Oh man, and I'm hearing for the first time today that Vexen's and Tidus's VAs also got into some shit.

Really? What happened there? Was it their English VA's?

Nukara

Awards
In general, the only thing that Quinton Flynn can do in this situation is to repent for what he did.
If the role of Axel is dear to him (considering how unhappy he was that Reno was voiced by another person in FF7r) and he does not want to be taken away from him after that.

May-Jor

Awards
Really? What happened there? Was it their English VA's?

Yeah. Tidus's VA was outed as having an account on Parler. And Derek Stephen Prince said slurs. He was also accused of being a pedophile but I haven't seen any proof of that yet so take that with a grain of salt. I think the former is side-eye worthy but ultimately not that big of a deal, and the latter is shitty, but nothing compared to everything Flynn is being accused of.

May-Jor

Awards
What is parler?
parler.png

A free-speech* version of twitter. Funny thing is some people tried to post hentai there and got banned for it, so it's not living up to its purpose. Thing is, some peope use it but don't really post that much extreme stuff on it. But knowing it's userbase I can understand why people are suspicious of anyone who goes out of their way to make an account.

*"free speech" meaning calling someone a n****r or saying "jews should be gassed" without breaking ToS

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Big yikes. Super gross and disappointing. He was a VA to many of the games I’ve played over the years. Please burn all future contracts.

May-Jor

Awards

Yeah, that's messy. I get the whole "being unaware of someone's age" thing is a factor but I can't form any conclusion with certainty.

A major lesson everyone involved should learn from all this is that just because someone voices a character that fans adore or swoon over (even if the actor themselves aren't very easy on the eyes), it's prolly not a good idea not be taking advantage of that to get some hook-ups.

First, they might end up getting involved with very stupid minors who don't know what they're getting into or do and will disregard the consequences outright. They just want a chance to live out their fantasies with their favorite idol either way. Unless it was actually the actor's intention to get with a minor, which is an even worse scenario.

Second, while I'm not sure if all the girls Flynn got involved with are adults, he should've known better than to lead on all those women for sex. Yeah, unless there were minors involved what he did wasn't illegal, but you'd have to be dumb as hell to think that being a player like that doesn't come with consequences when you're caught.

And regardless of age, people should know better than to act inappropriately or continuously pursue someone who doesn't want it.

I feel like this should be common sense, but people let the fame or idol-worship get to their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back