• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Bad Debaters...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustSnilloc

So I was watching this video and I kind of felt bad for the guy doing the video... The girl that explains her point of view on the things just kind of screams "I don't know what I'm talking about, nor will I try to make since, but I like this debating thing... hurr hurr"

[video=youtube;jVe95s6gH1s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVe95s6gH1s[/video]

Anyways, discuss the video or discuss experiences with terrible debaters you've had

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
oh yeah that old thing

im just about to enter into exams right now but i've got a two-week gap in there so maybe it'll come out then

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Analysis of the unnanounced premises in people's arguments is a good place to start, as well as figuring out the particular structure of said arguments. If nothing else, you can point out the weaknesses in people's logic by highlighting where logical inferences fail, or where one thing does not necessarily follow on from another. I've done a basic philosphy/critical thinking semester-long unit, and I'm going to be implementing what I've learned from that into the KHI debating system in some way or another.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I really wish learning about discourse was integrated into the highschool education system. I remember my peers and I getting away with circle-jerks to sound deep--and a lot of our ideas were relevant, I think, but we could have surmised them more succinctly (or rather, eloquently too because this primarily took place in English so it wasn't about breaking down the concepts into the bare bones, but there was a lot of painfully unnecessary bs there).

We don't teach our kids what false dichotomies are, or strawmans, or non-sequitirs and etc. Looking at the current GOP and past events or even advertisements leads me to strongly believe understanding how to present good arguments while recognizing weak ones are more important than ever. Fallacy: not just a word to increase the size of your e-dick. Plus, I don't recall ever learning such in debate class or club either.

nelly <3

wayfarer~
Website
www.facebook.com
oh yeah that old thing

im just about to enter into exams right now but i've got a two-week gap in there so maybe it'll come out then
Well Sir, how about we get them started? I'd like to point out and laugh at all the bad debaters. lol. I'm not saying I'm great debater, but I do like to prove a point when the time comes around :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back