• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Best Order To Experience BbS?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I'm planning on playing through the entire KH series with my friend, so we're starting chronologically with BbS. What order of characters do you think is the best way to play BbS to get the best experience? I'm replaying BbS right now and I kind of feel like the best order might be: Terra then Ven then Aqua.

What do you all suggest?

Vulpes XIII

Awards
I remember reading somewhere that apparently Nomura once stated that Terra,Ventus,Aqua was the preferred order to play the game.Apparently it was back in an interview for Birth By Sleep, never seen the interview myself though.

Grey Skies

Awards
As far as story goes, I do recommend Terra, Ventus, then Aqua. I think it gives the story the best flow, but Ventus, Terra, then Aqua is almost as good.

As far as gameplay goes, it might be easier to start with Ventus or Aqua because of dodge roll/cartwheel. Terra's dodge is much harder to use.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
OK thanks for the advice. My friend isn't going to like that because Aqua is his favourite character (behind Kairi).

Megavoltage

Awards
Aqua being last also makes the most sense since her journey leads into Final and Secret episodes.

Will you defeat the optional super bosses for your friend to watch? If so will you do that with one character or all three? I think that games optional content is really fun... except for MF.

palizinhas

Awards
While the official order is Terra-Ven-Aqua, I consider the best order for a first experience to be Ventus-Terra-Aqua. Preserves Aqua being the last, but also creates a mystery of what's going on with Terra, who we are told a lot of things about but don't see a whole lot of when playing as Ventus.

But on replay the official order is fine.

I played Ven-Aqua-Terra, and making me second guess Terra was the best thing of that order (I didn't know there was an official order, so I played "he looks like Roxas", "playing as a girl seems fun", "he's the only one left").

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I remember reading somewhere that apparently Nomura once stated that Terra,Ventus,Aqua was the preferred order to play the game.Apparently it was back in an interview for Birth By Sleep, never seen the interview myself though.

--- Well that's a problem (laugh) One interesting point of this game is that you can choose which of three main characters you want to play with. But which order do you recommend?

Nomura: Terra, Ven and Aqua is the best order. We wrote the scenarios in that order, and you'll probably understand why while you're playing it. Also, Ven is very easy to use, but Terra is a little heavier and moves slowly. So you could begin playing with the character that best fits your play style. But if you choose to play as Ven first and then go on to Terra, you'll probably feel too slow.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Aqua being last also makes the most sense since her journey leads into Final and Secret episodes.

Will you defeat the optional super bosses for your friend to watch? If so will you do that with one character or all three? I think that games optional content is really fun... except for MF.
I think I will definitely go with Aqua last - my friend will not like that as he loves Aqua. I will try to beat the extra bosses for my friend to watch, but if I can't, we can just YouTube it. He's really in it for the story and isn't really a gamer.
While the official order is Terra-Ven-Aqua, I consider the best order for a first experience to be Ventus-Terra-Aqua. Preserves Aqua being the last, but also creates a mystery of what's going on with Terra, who we are told a lot of things about but don't see a whole lot of when playing as Ventus.

But on replay the official order is fine.

I played Ven-Aqua-Terra, and making me second guess Terra was the best thing of that order (I didn't know there was an official order, so I played "he looks like Roxas", "playing as a girl seems fun", "he's the only one left").
I am tempted to go with Ven>Terra>Aqua. I'm playing as Ven right now after doing Terra, and you made a good point that having that mystery of what Terra is doing will help build up the Terra story. I guess I have to decide whether Ven or Terra first, because I know for sure that Aqua will be last.

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com
I am tempted to go with Ven>Terra>Aqua. I'm playing as Ven right now after doing Terra, and you made a good point that having that mystery of what Terra is doing will help build up the Terra story.
I can see that. Alternatively, the whole Ventus-Vanitas relationship can be seen as a build up mystery for Terra's point of view, and especially when you ask, "What the heck is a Kai-Blade?"

palizinhas

Awards
I can see that. Alternatively, the whole Ventus-Vanitas relationship can be seen as a build up mystery for Terra's point of view, and especially when you ask, "What the heck is a Kai-Blade?"
I actually think playing as Terra first ruins the mystery. We learn that Vanitas was separated from Ven too early from Xehanort when playing as Terra, while it takes longer into his story for Ven to learn the truth.

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com
I actually think playing as Terra first ruins the mystery. We learn that Vanitas was separated from Ven too early from Xehanort when playing as Terra, while it takes longer into his story for Ven to learn the truth.
True. When I got BBS in 2010 I played Ventus first because I wanted to know what the deal was with him and Roxas. If you play Terra first though, I think you get the whole picture of the story, with Ventus filling in the details, and lastly Aqua to finish it off.
You could go either way for Terra or Ven really, it just depends on what you want to learn first and foremost. Aqua, however, needs to be last.

PS Thinking about it, the conclusion of Terra's story does give you a nail-biting "What the heck happened to Ven and Aqua!?", while Ven and Aqua's conclusions are kind of intertwined with her carrying him.

Last edited:
Back