• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Birth by Sleep Consensus.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Rating~

• Shit

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Unimpressive

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Mediocre

• So-so

• Alright

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Good

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • Impressive

Votes: 19 10.5%
  • Great

Votes: 36 19.9%
  • Amazing

Votes: 66 36.5%
  • Best thing ever

Votes: 37 20.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allister Rose

French Lover
i gave it amazing, still trying to figure what type of game BBS is compared to the rest. it seems to lean closer to FF style, and hopefully i'm wrong about this

Awards
It's fair because it's a world that's there. And the way people talk about KH1's worlds, you would sure think that they were talking about all of the worlds.

But really, the only thing that even made them remotely attached to the main plot was just that princesses were being stolen from their worlds. If it weren't for the fact that Alice was stolen at the end of Wonderland, that world would be no different from how Enchanted Dominion was for BBS. Princess in trouble, but saved in the end.

Obviously, princesses can't get stolen every game, otherwise -that- would just come off as bad writing. What they did in BBS was actually probably a much better way to go about doing the worlds in the future of the series (though, if they weren't split up into three they would probably be more impactful). in BBS the worlds moved the characters. That's what we should be looking for in the future. The problem with KH2 was that Sora went to these worlds, and he didn't learn anything. The worlds never moved him in any sort of way. They were one standalone experience to the next. The issue wasn't that they weren't connected to the main plot because hijinks weren't going down or princesses weren't getting stolen, it's that they didn't propel the main plot (being Sora's journey). If the worlds of KHII had actually moved Sora's character forward, in ways that seemed logical, I doubt people would have had as much of a problem with them.

Did Monstro really move the main plot forward all that much? All that really happened was that a key character showed up and messed some things up. But, how is that different from Vanitas showing up in, say, Aqua's story? They're very similar, but, for some reason, people seem to hold KH1 in a much higher light. Perhaps it's nostalgia, but, BBS' worlds function much closer to KH1's than the past games.

This, so much.

That the Disney plots should be better integrated is a completely valid complaint, but don't dare site KH1 as the way things should be done. This problem, if you want to call it that, is something that plagues the series as a whole and not just a few individual titles (the same goes for many other complaints, eg empty worlds). Don't kid yourself.

So if someone wants to call BbS mediocre or unimpressive or what have you because of these reasons, that's totally fine by me.
But, by your own standards, praising KH1 as being leaps and bounds ahead of BbS (or most of the titles, for that matter) is nothing more than putting it on a pedestal.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
I think I can explain. KH1 was an amazing game, but KH2 was a huge letdown. So people expected KH2 to put KH1 to shame, but it didn't. So KH1 was the best KH game, up until BBS(maybe). Overrated, hell no lol

I think it is underrated by the people who played KH2 first and refuse to acknowledge that KH1 was a better game.
I will agree with you, somewhat. There are a lot of people who played KH2 and worship it, but from what I've seen there are just as many people who played KH1 first and pretend like it's a lot better than it really was. I think the problem is that they are very different games, and people will always favor the game they played first. I personally don't know which I like better, since KH1 definitely had a better plot and difficulty, but its controls and camera really frustrated me.

I just see so many people comparing BbS to KH1 (especially in terms of Disney worlds), and then giving KH1 way more credit than it deserves. The only thing that made most KH1 worlds connected was the five seconds in which the PoH's get kidnapped, and even that wasn't in every world. Yes, Neverland and Monstro were slight exceptions, but so were many BbS worlds. I prefer worlds with a theme and emotional growth for the characters over the princess stuff. But that's just my opinion.

Anyway, I haven't really played BbS, I've only watched the cutscenes, so I really can't judge the game as a whole. I might be able to borrow my friend's PSP soon, though, so then I can judge the rest of the game.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
As much as I love KH1, it is SERIOUSLY over-rated.

I played KH1 first. Heck, it was even my first PS2 game. Which also happened to have been the 5th video game I have ever owned. But I learn not to let Nostalgia get in the way. KH1 IS a good game... but you guys claim it to be better than what it really is.

Not at all lol

You aren't giving it enough credit, but I am not going to do this with you again lol

Allister Rose

French Lover
kh1 is considered the best IMO for completely different reason than the other games. i played kh2 first and use to believe it was better, but then i played kh1 and trully felt the disney in that game incorporate the story.

in BBS it did have some disney nostalgia but was also leaning towards the nostalgia in the kh characters. BBS was amazing IMO but theres something about it that felt unbalanced, idk if it was for the old somewhat nostalgic worlds in clash with a completely different type of cast, or all the new elements introduced for that game in the kh series.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
You aren't giving it enough credit, but I am not going to do this with you again lol

You really don't get it, do you? -_-
It's not that I'm not "giving it enough credit", it's that you give it TOO MUCH credit. I seriously think the only reason you even praise the game so much is just because it's the first game in the series.

Allister Rose

French Lover
i personally like it better than BBS, BBS was amazing, but soemthing about kh1 still makes it the best. i dont think it's too much praise either.

Silverslide

You really don't get it, do you? -_-
It's not that I'm not "giving it enough credit", it's that you give it TOO MUCH credit. I seriously think the only reason you even praise the game so much is just because it's the first game in the series.

I get it. You think it's "overrated" because of what? I don't even remember what you said but I remember you using KH2 to prove your points. We praise the game because of how KH2 failed to live up to it, everyone expected innovative gameplay and an airtight story, but we didn't get that. We just got a button masher with VERY bad writing.

So IDK what your beef with this game is, but it is far from overrated.

Allister Rose

French Lover
kingdom hearts 1 was simple and playful and also challenging. when i first played the game i thought, heck this was going to be easy, well i was wrong when i got to deep jungle, but anyways, kh1 had alot of itneraction between the disney cast and they helped make the story in the first one. they weren't simple cameos.

the itneraction between soradonald and goofy was also very well exceuted. the game brought out the inner child in some (including me) and really were able to connect with it.

for kh2 it upgraded some features that i really enjoyed, but lacked story that made us connect to the game. as for khBBS it made us connect more with the kh original cast and the new elements, although it leaned toward older films and somewhat allowed us to connect with them, it seemed like they were still on the side lines.

although i absolutely love the x-blade, it seemed like using the keyblade of the 7 PoH's hearts along with that might have been more epic IMO. like as TAV left, vanitas could be taking the hearts of the PoH's and finally show a coplete keyblade or something

teardrop

I gave BBS an Impressive, but I was in between Impressive and Great. A lot of things were done right in BBS, but there were things done wrong, too. Good points were gameplay, story, and graphics. The Command Deck is absolutely fantastic. The story had me caring about the characters. And the graphics are pretty good for the PSP. But, load times, even with the data install, sucked. The short time spent in worlds is definitely a negative. The minigames were kinda disappointing, and the VAs weren't all that great. I guess in the major areas, BBS is great, but it's the smaller details that kinda dull it.

WaveK89

Impressive (which i think should come after great, but whatever, it works)

The game brought me a unique style of gameplay, storytelling, and experience overall. I enjoyed the challenges I was faced with, and I enjoyed seeing a story told in three different perspectives. The mini games, command board, and mirage arena added to the experience and kept the experience alive.

I'm pretty impressed with the game, hence, the rating. It brought a similar yet different Kingdom Hearts experience I'm familiar with which made the experience much more enjoyable.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
I get it. You think it's "overrated" because of what?

I explained it to you again and again and you STILL refuse to listen:

1. Disney worlds aren't as "story-related" as people praise them to be. Did Deep Jungle ever contribute to anything? No. Did Atlantica contribute to anything? Did Olympus Coliseum contribute to anything? No. Did Monstro contribute to anything? Nothing except Riku appearing. But other than his appearance the world is just as "pointless" as you claim the KH2 worlds to be. And heck, if it wasn't for the 5-second scenes of the princesses getting kidnapped then most of KH1's worlds would've been pointless. Saying they were "really into the plot" is reeeaaaally stretching it. You praise it far too much than it's worth.

2. Gameplay in KH1 was NOT that great at all. You say "KH2 was a button masher" but you forget that KH1 was ALSO a button masher. Kingdom Hearts has ALWAYS been "mash the X button" Why you criticize BBS, Days, KH2, etc. for that but praise KH1 for it I'll never know... -_-

3. KH1 had TERRIBLE (and I mean TERRIBLE) Gummi Ship sections. They were soooooo loooong and booooring and dull and pointless. Heck, you could just move perfectly still and you wouldn't die (I have actually tried this). In KH2, the Gummi Ships were actually fun, flashy, and filled with enemies that ACTUALLY SHOOT YOU (in KH1 the ships did nothing except move forward slowly... some attack -_-)

4. The camera is bad. It's very limited to how you can move it and if you happen to move the camera in a place that it doesn't like for some reason, it decides to flip out everywhere. Oh, and let's not forget how awful the camera was in the Chernabog fight.

5. In KH1, you couldn't skip cutscenes. This was VERY annoying having to hear Rikunort say "It is I... Ansem" a million times.

6. Enemies would constantly re-spawn without giving you any break. Literally you could end up being stuck in a Heartless battle with 10 Heartless. When you defeat the 10 Heartless, you think "It's over, right? I can open a Treasure Chest, right?" and then suddenly BOOM another 10 Heartless. Defeat those... and then BOOM another one. And then after a 4th time, they'd finally stop. This is REALLY annoying ESPECIALLY in End of the World.

7. 100 Acre Wood mini-games were crap in KH1. The controls were glitchy as all could be and the games just weren't fun.

8. Party members did crap. People keep complaining on KH2 how "A.I. does crap!" well guess what? Same with KH1? So why do you complain about it in KH2 but not with KH1?

There are many more reasons but you're just going to continue to ignore them anyway so I won't bother -_-

Silverslide

The game brought me a unique style of gameplay, storytelling, and experience overall. I enjoyed the challenges I was faced with, and I enjoyed seeing a story told in three different perspectives.

ROFL.

I gave it a good. A notch above the other games by still has it's share if flaws.

Oh yeah, the lack of NPC's is a HUGEEE flaw for me. Along with the glitchy platforming

I explained it to you again and again and you STILL refuse to listen:

1. Disney worlds aren't as "story-related" as people praise them to be. Did Deep Jungle ever contribute to anything? No. Did Atlantica contribute to anything? Did Olympus Coliseum contribute to anything? No. Did Monstro contribute to anything? Nothing except Riku appearing. But other than his appearance the world is just as "pointless" as you claim the KH2 worlds to be. And heck, if it wasn't for the 5-second scenes of the princesses getting kidnapped then most of KH1's worlds would've been pointless. Saying they were "really into the plot" is reeeaaaally stretching it. You praise it far too much than it's worth.
2. Gameplay in KH1 was NOT that great at all. You say "KH2 was a button masher" but you forget that KH1 was ALSO a button masher. Kingdom Hearts has ALWAYS been "mash the X button" Why you criticize BBS, Days, KH2, etc. for that but praise KH1 for it I'll never know... -_-
3. KH1 had TERRIBLE (and I mean TERRIBLE) Gummi Ship sections. They were soooooo loooong and booooring and dull and pointless. Heck, you could just move perfectly still and you wouldn't die (I have actually tried this). In KH2, the Gummi Ships were actually fun, flashy, and filled with enemies that ACTUALLY SHOOT YOU (in KH1 the ships did nothing except move forward slowly... some attack -_-)
4. The camera is bad. It's very limited to how you can move it and if you happen to move the camera in a place that it doesn't like for some reason, it decides to flip out everywhere. Oh, and let's not forget how awful the camera was in the Chernabog fight.
5. In KH1, you couldn't skip cutscenes. This was VERY annoying having to hear Rikunort say "It is I... Ansem" a million times.
6. Enemies would constantly re-spawn without giving you any break. Literally you could end up being stuck in a Heartless battle with 10 Heartless. When you defeat the 10 Heartless, you think "It's over, right? I can open a Treasure Chest, right?" and then suddenly BOOM another 10 Heartless. Defeat those... and then BOOM another one. And then after a 4th time, they'd finally stop. This is REALLY annoying ESPECIALLY in End of the World.
7. 100 Acre Wood mini-games were crap in KH1. The controls were glitchy as all could be and the games just weren't fun.
8. Party members did crap. People keep complaining on KH2 how "A.I. does crap!" well guess what? Same with KH1? So why do you complain about it in KH2 but not with KH1?

There are many more reasons but you're just going to continue to ignore them anyway so I won't bother -_-

That really pissed me off. Like REALLY. You still claim I refuse to listen, when in another thread way back, I listened to ALL of the same BS points you posted here and shoved them back at you with a fucking essay of points, then you left the fcuking thread without responding. I'm not going to waste my time. Have fun with that bro. I've wasted my time arguing with you about this enough.

WaveK89

ROFL.

I gave it a good. A notch above the other games by still has it's share if flaws.

Oh yeah, the lack of NPC's is a HUGEEE flaw for me. Along with the glitchy platforming

What? I thought the gameplay was unique. Of course, I can only speak in terms of my experience. Commands, command deck, shotlock, d-link, melding commands. Those were all unique. Perhaps, I should have been more specific in saying the battle system. Gameplay is a bit too general.

Silverslide

What? I thought the gameplay was unique. Of course, I can only speak in terms of my experience. Commands, command deck, shotlock, d-link, melding commands. Those were all unique. Perhaps, I should have been more specific in saying the battle system.

To KH it was, but the deck command thing was easily influenced by Crisis Core. All of the other ones I guess you could consider unique.

I liked the gameplay, don't get me wrong.

Allister Rose

French Lover
all the worlds in kh1 contributed to the story. sora was there for a reason. and the villains were part of a criminal mastermind who turns out to be a puppet too

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
all the worlds in kh1 contributed to the story. sora was there for a reason.

His only reason for being there was to find Riku and Kairi. That was it. And *shocker* his motivation in KH2 is to find Riku. What a shock!

That really pissed me off. Like REALLY. You still claim I refuse to listen, when in another thread way back, I listened to ALL of the same BS points you posted here and shoved them back at you with a fcuking essay of points, then you left the fcuking thread without responding. I'm not going to waste my time. Have fun with that bro. I've wasted my time arguing with you about this enough.

lol, you NEVER EVER gave me any combacks that were good. All you ever really said was "This is BS! KH1 is PERFECT and you should be crucified for thinking otherwise!" You try to convince me that KH1 was "more than a button masher" by talking about all the useless spells that really didn't do crap. "Cheer" did bullcrap, summons (except Tinkerbell, she was the only useful summon) were bullcrap, platforming was glitchy, camera was glitchy, etc. You can NOT tell me you haven't encountered any of these problems otherwise, you'd either be lying or VERY lucky!

Allister Rose

French Lover
that's not what i meant. sora also locked all the keyholes to the heart's worlds, so it's not like he merely helped out killing a few heartless

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
that's not what i meant. sora also locked all the keyholes to the heart's worlds, so it's not like he merely helped out killing a few heartless

That isn't saying much either. Because what was he doing in KH2? Unlocking pathways to more worlds so he can find Riku. His "unlocking pathways" was pretty much the same thing as "sealing the keyhole"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back