• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Birth By Sleep Play Arts petition

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanitas_Booker

Exactly.

On an unrelated note, I have never seen any Oz or Lone ranger toys and figures.

Here you go! this is the best OZ figure that there is: Amazon.com: Disney Oz the Great & Powerful Movie 11 Inch Doll Oz [Oscar Diggs]: Toys & Games
And this is the best Lone ranger figures: Amazon.com: NECA The Lone Ranger - 7" Deluxe Scale Action Figure (Set of 2): Toys & Games

On another note, my Grid Sora arrived today! He's awesome! but like I said, the heights I think are off, because Sora is just as tall as Riku, if not a bit taller... It's really strange....

And also, I just heard back from a professional custom figure maker who has said that he can make a Vanitas using other play arts figures and Sora's head. His stuff is AMAZING too, but it's not cheap. $275 a figure... But like I said, his stuff is just as nice as any toy companies. So, after next month's paycheck, I will probably order from him!

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
They could put like a rubber over it. They do that with some Disney figures now a days (like the 12 inch Oscar figure from OZ and the Tonto figure).
Is ariels hair any longer than Tifa's? It's thicker since it's underwater, but I thought it was about average length.

SE seems to be very particular in the materials they use for their PAK line and they don't digress from that (I'm assuming because they'd have to order a whole new material). That being said, they often have soft plastic that they run metal wires through to pose things (like the vines that come with Poison Ivy can be bent and stay how you want them to). They could put a similar plastic over the joints and then they'd just conform to how the joints are posed.

As for Ariel's hair, I think it's a bit longer than Tifa's but the difficulty will come with how thick it is and that whole front portion of her hair. The hair SE does is usually realistic so it isn't all over the place but for Ariel it would have to be.

Make sure to take a photo once you get the Vanitas figure (if you do). I tend to not buy any non-official KH merchandise but I'd love to see photos of one ^_^

Vanitas_Booker

Make sure to take a photo once you get the Vanitas figure (if you do). I tend to not buy any non-official KH merchandise but I'd love to see photos of one ^_^
Haha, I guess you could consider it "half" official... he's using the KH1 riku upper torso, with the KH2 Sora head, and then the keyblade will be made using a KH keyblade as a base... So the only thing unnoficial will be the plastic clay that he uses on top if the figure to make all the ridges haha! :)

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
SE seems to be very particular in the materials they use for their PAK line and they don't digress from that (I'm assuming because they'd have to order a whole new material). That being said, they often have soft plastic that they run metal wires through to pose things (like the vines that come with Poison Ivy can be bent and stay how you want them to). They could put a similar plastic over the joints and then they'd just conform to how the joints are posed.

As for Ariel's hair, I think it's a bit longer than Tifa's but the difficulty will come with how thick it is and that whole front portion of her hair. The hair SE does is usually realistic so it isn't all over the place but for Ariel it would have to be.

Ariel's hair doesn't have to be all over the place if they make a human version.

But considering she's a mermaid, I'm calling it. The first in the PAK bath tub line!

Vanitas_Booker

Ariel's hair doesn't have to be all over the place if they make a human version.

But considering she's a mermaid, I'm calling it. The first in the PAK bath tub line!
Yeah, but the problem is, if someone wants an Ariel figure, they're going to want the mermaid version.
Play Arts Kai Bathtub line???? Woah now... that's some serious stuff you're talking about!

kupo1121

Awards
Haha, I guess you could consider it "half" official... he's using the KH1 riku upper torso, with the KH2 Sora head, and then the keyblade will be made using a KH keyblade as a base... So the only thing unnoficial will be the plastic clay that he uses on top if the figure to make all the ridges haha! :)

lol Fair enough, but similar to a video game system, once you jailbreak it and mod the system, it's no longer under warranty so technically it isn't an "officially-licensed product" since SE won't back, produce, or sell that specific Vanitas figure.

If that meant getting MerSora along with Donald and Goofy as their Atlantica versions, I'M ALL FOR IT! And maybe their hair can change color too when they hit the water ;)

Vanitas_Booker

Yeah, I was kind of thinking of those mermaid barbies. I'm just kidding but it'd be awesome.
Hahaha! Yeah I know, so was I :) Although, I agree, it would be cool!

lol Fair enough, but similar to a video game system, once you jailbreak it and mod the system, it's no longer under warranty so technically it isn't an "officially-licensed product" since SE won't back, produce, or sell that specific Vanitas figure.
Yeah, I know, I'm just playing around :)

As for something else, I had an Idea today:
What if they did something like Play Arts Kai two packs? They could have packs like:
-Vanitas and Master Xehanort
-Eraqus and Terra
-Ven and Aqua
-Donald and Goofy
-Maleficent and Dark Riku
-Ariel and MerSora
-Org.Coat Roxas and Xion
Of course, they could release them in different series, not all together like I listed, but it would be a cool idea! If they only gave each character an extra pair of hands and an accessory (keyblade, staff, shield...) they could EASILY both fit into one Play Arts Kai package! the reason why Sora and Riku's box were so big is because they had all of their keyblades AND two sets of hands.
Of course, a two pack would probably cost around $200-250 though... but it would be SO worth it!

kupo1121

Awards
Totally reviving a dead thread to completely spaz out since I had a great mail day!

IMG_1440_zps7d121ccc.jpg
IMG_1441_zpsb852bc5d.jpg

The keyblades are absolutely humongous. They are about 30% bigger than the largest keyblades released before them (the Master Arms Ultima Weapons) and they really don't fit well when placed next to them just because they look so much bigger. I can definitely see why these figures were so darn expensive considering the figures are fairly nice (I have my gripes with them) and the keyblades are so much.

The paint jobs are done pretty well, I like how SE actually puts oil on the joints so the first time you use them, oil comes out (got some on my fingers and I didn't realize why until I inspected the joints). Sora's head has next to no rotation which irks be terribly since you can't even make his eyes level with Riku's unless his head pops off (easy to get back on, but it's annoying). Riku is done much better imo, I like them both overall. They are great for KH's first Play Arts KAI figures, but I hope to see improvements.

Then I got these:

IMG_1442_zpsf25c3722.jpg

It's almost bittersweet. This set is by far my favorite Formation Arts set available, they are all just stunning, each and every one of them. Sadly, this line is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than the rest to the point where you cannot place these directly next to the others since they are so out of place. Each of these figures are about 2/3 the size of the other 5 series and that's just downright disappointing, ESPECIALLY when the designs are flat out the best SE has ever done (even if Sora's face on some of them is subpar, the environments and Disney characters make up for them). Here are closeups (try not to stare at Destiny Island Sora's face, it irks me too):

IMG_1443_zpsd6d703f8.jpg
IMG_1444_zpsfff12d1d.jpg
IMG_1445_zps74fc0ad1.jpg
IMG_1447_zps15bfb955.jpg
IMG_1446_zps199a3f91.jpg

Finally, not KH related, but excited nonetheless, I got me the Poison Ivy figure!!!

IMG_1450_zps25326d4d.jpg

Hands down one of my favorite Play Arts figures that I own (sorry most of my KH figures, but the detail on this one cannot be denied). Vanitas, if you were thinking of picking up a Batman Play Arts, I would HIGHLY recommend it. Words can't describe how stunning these are, I almost cannot blame SE for making so many from the Batman series if they are anything like her's. The details are near flawless, the joints all very good (not perfect but very good), with another stand, posable vines and a great paint job! My only gripe is her pelvis which looks like a huge garment but is supposed to be both her abdomen and her clothes which doesn't really work but whatever...

Vanitas_Booker

Totally reviving a dead thread to completely spaz out since I had a great mail day!

IMG_1440_zps7d121ccc.jpg
IMG_1441_zpsb852bc5d.jpg

The keyblades are absolutely humongous. They are about 30% bigger than the largest keyblades released before them (the Master Arms Ultima Weapons) and they really don't fit well when placed next to them just because they look so much bigger. I can definitely see why these figures were so darn expensive considering the figures are fairly nice (I have my gripes with them) and the keyblades are so much.

The paint jobs are done pretty well, I like how SE actually puts oil on the joints so the first time you use them, oil comes out (got some on my fingers and I didn't realize why until I inspected the joints). Sora's head has next to no rotation which irks be terribly since you can't even make his eyes level with Riku's unless his head pops off (easy to get back on, but it's annoying). Riku is done much better imo, I like them both overall. They are great for KH's first Play Arts KAI figures, but I hope to see improvements.

Then I got these:

IMG_1442_zpsf25c3722.jpg

It's almost bittersweet. This set is by far my favorite Formation Arts set available, they are all just stunning, each and every one of them. Sadly, this line is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than the rest to the point where you cannot place these directly next to the others since they are so out of place. Each of these figures are about 2/3 the size of the other 5 series and that's just downright disappointing, ESPECIALLY when the designs are flat out the best SE has ever done (even if Sora's face on some of them is subpar, the environments and Disney characters make up for them). Here are closeups (try not to stare at Destiny Island Sora's face, it irks me too):

IMG_1443_zpsd6d703f8.jpg
IMG_1444_zpsfff12d1d.jpg
IMG_1445_zps74fc0ad1.jpg
IMG_1447_zps15bfb955.jpg
IMG_1446_zps199a3f91.jpg

Finally, not KH related, but excited nonetheless, I got me the Poison Ivy figure!!!

IMG_1450_zps25326d4d.jpg

Hands down one of my favorite Play Arts figures that I own (sorry most of my KH figures, but the detail on this one cannot be denied). Vanitas, if you were thinking of picking up a Batman Play Arts, I would HIGHLY recommend it. Words can't describe how stunning these are, I almost cannot blame SE for making so many from the Batman series if they are anything like her's. The details are near flawless, the joints all very good (not perfect but very good), with another stand, posable vines and a great paint job! My only gripe is her pelvis which looks like a huge garment but is supposed to be both her abdomen and her clothes which doesn't really work but whatever...
Don't worry, this thread wasn't really "dead" it just hasn't been used for a week or so :)
I LOVE the play arts kai Riku, and I really like the Sora, but you are right... The Sora isn't as well done... the package my Sora cam in was crushed, his head had fallen off, and his Ultima weapon was completely bent (fixed it by boiling it and then straightening it out). I feel like that for the most part, they are great figures (and the Keyblades are huge and awesome!) but I don't like the feet on the figures... hardest things EVER to move.....
As for the Formation Arts... I MUST HAVE THE TIMELESS RIVER AND HALLOWEEN TOWN!!!!

Actually, I was thinking about getting this Batman play arts figure.....
Amazon.com: Square Enix Batman The Dark Knight Returns Skin "Batman Arkham City", Play Arts Kai: Toys & Games
or this one
Amazon.com: Square Enix Dark Knight Trilogy: Batman Play Arts Kai Action Figure: Toys & Games
They both look pretty awesome!

kupo1121

Awards
Don't worry, this thread wasn't really "dead" it just hasn't been used for a week or so :)
I LOVE the play arts kai Riku, and I really like the Sora, but you are right... The Sora isn't as well done... the package my Sora cam in was crushed, his head had fallen off, and his Ultima weapon was completely bent (fixed it by boiling it and then straightening it out). I feel like that for the most part, they are great figures (and the Keyblades are huge and awesome!) but I don't like the feet on the figures... hardest things EVER to move.....

His head falling off is natural. Due to the spike in the back of Sora's head, this Sora cannot move his head past about 10 degrees backwards (which is absolutely terrible for a Play Arts figure, his head might rank in the top 5 of the worst head figures ever made by SE in the PAK line purely because it has no mobility). The good thing is that you can just pop it back on after it falls off (the original PA figures were very difficult if a head popped off to put it back on).

YOUR ULTIMA WEAPONS WAS BENT?!?!? I'd have a heart attack if that happened to me since I wouldn't have dared put it near a fire so I'd probably cry and whine and moan for hours...then I'd probably return the figure and get a new one o_O but doing what you did was smarter I will admit haha.

My feet aren't that stubborn to move in all honesty. They are big so they are naturally harder to move than most PAK figures, but they can move. I just always feel like I'm gonna break them when I do move them. For the time being, I just have them standing in their cases while I determine how I want them posed without their keyblades (since I frame all the PA keyblades in a shadowbox).

As for the Formation Arts... I MUST HAVE THE TIMELESS RIVER AND HALLOWEEN TOWN!!!!

You have good taste haha I'll admit that the best figure from a pure unbiased quality standpoint is either Halloweentown or Atlantica. Atlantica has a lot more elements to it so it has a lot more it can get wrong, and when it comes down to the little details, Atlantica sweeps the competition (there is a lot of glitter on the figure and all the bubbles have a music note etched into them which you cannot even see from a photo). Timeless River easily comes in second since that figure has a few hiccups (like most Formation Arts figures) but nothing noticeable. I'd say the worst one is probably Destiny Islands purely because Sora's face was NOT done well at all, which is a shame :(

lol I'd go with the second one since I don't like the design of the first one (I never did though), but I would determine which one is better by honestly going onto YouTube and looking up reviews for both figures. You can see problems with both of them (every figure has problems sadly, nothing is perfect) and it is much easier to decide through that. I was, and still am, so tempted to get the Dark Knight Triology Catwoman (Anne Hathaway) because I loved the design (I know most people hated it) but I'm so irked that they never gave her a whip in the movie that I'm almost too heartbroken to get it >_<

Vanitas_Booker

YOUR ULTIMA WEAPONS WAS BENT?!?!? I'd have a heart attack if that happened to me since I wouldn't have dared put it near a fire so I'd probably cry and whine and moan for hours...then I'd probably return the figure and get a new one o_O but doing what you did was smarter I will admit haha.

You have good taste haha I'll admit that the best figure from a pure unbiased quality standpoint is either Halloweentown or Atlantica. Atlantica has a lot more elements to it so it has a lot more it can get wrong, and when it comes down to the little details, Atlantica sweeps the competition (there is a lot of glitter on the figure and all the bubbles have a music note etched into them which you cannot even see from a photo). Timeless River easily comes in second since that figure has a few hiccups (like most Formation Arts figures) but nothing noticeable. I'd say the worst one is probably Destiny Islands purely because Sora's face was NOT done well at all, which is a shame :(
Yeah, I had to fix it by just putting it in a pot of boiling water and straightening it out myself... no big deal :) It was so disturbing though, because Sora was practically loose in the box and the inside of the box looked like someone had some kind of vengeance against Sora.... but, fixing the key blade was no big deal, it just bended right back into place and was completely safe :)
The Destiny Islands Sora face does look a bit different..... It's not absolutely terrible for such a small sized figure, but it still doesn't look as detailed as the others. I REALLY like the clear bubbles on the Atlantica one. But, judging by the fact that I have a hatred against Atlantica in KH2.... I don't know if I will be getting it! hahaha! :)

kupo1121

Awards
The Destiny Islands Sora face does look a bit different..... It's not absolutely terrible for such a small sized figure, but it still doesn't look as detailed as the others. I REALLY like the clear bubbles on the Atlantica one. But, judging by the fact that I have a hatred against Atlantica in KH2.... I don't know if I will be getting it! hahaha! :)

Compared to his face on all the other figures, it is quite noticeable that it looks almost chibi. It's a great idea though and on the rock behind him, Sora and Kairi's drawing with the papou fruit is on it which is a nice touch (that isn't very visible in the photo).

And if you hated KH2 Atlantica so much, then just think of KH1 Atlantica lol

Vanitas_Booker

Compared to his face on all the other figures, it is quite noticeable that it looks almost chibi. It's a great idea though and on the rock behind him, Sora and Kairi's drawing with the papou fruit is on it which is a nice touch (that isn't very visible in the photo).

And if you hated KH2 Atlantica so much, then just think of KH1 Atlantica lol
That is nice detail, I must say!
Ew..... just don't talk about KH1 Atlantica... They made a mistake with making that world have every room look exactly the same.....
But, including my play arts, look at all the KH stuff I have gotten here lately! I made the keyblade, and it still needs a chain around it, and a chain connecting to the bottom, but it still counts ;).

kupo1121

Awards
WOW! That is a good amount of KH stuff (great keyblade, that is very cool and since I've never seen a Vanitas cosplay in real life at a con, I've never seen his keyblade either xP)! I have been planning on purchasing KHBbS FM for some time now and now that I know that KH2.5 is coming out next year (it is pretty much guaranteed) and I am sure it will be the FM rendition (as KH1.5 is), I feel no need to pick it up anymore except for sake of collection (which is a big reason), so I plan on buying it lol just when the price is VERY low since I won't really be playing it <_<

Vanitas_Booker

WOW! That is a good amount of KH stuff (great keyblade, that is very cool and since I've never seen a Vanitas cosplay in real life at a con, I've never seen his keyblade either xP)! I have been planning on purchasing KHBbS FM for some time now and now that I know that KH2.5 is coming out next year (it is pretty much guaranteed) and I am sure it will be the FM rendition (as KH1.5 is), I feel no need to pick it up anymore except for sake of collection (which is a big reason), so I plan on buying it lol just when the price is VERY low since I won't really be playing it <_<
It's a great game, like REALLY great! It's awesome! :)
Yeah, there aren't too many Vanitas' cosplayers... especially with the mask, which I am doing... and I'm vacuum forming it, which is the same thing they did to make Rinzler's and CLU's helmets in Tron Legacy... I'm spending a LOT of money on this whole thing to make sure it comes out spot on perfect :)

Just saw this today.... I really REALLY want that unversed!
Enemy%20Figurines.jpg

Vanitas_Booker

What is Vacuum forming?

and man, those are so cute!
I know! They are super cool!
This is vacuum forming Homemade vacuum forming a helmet - YouTube (Credit to whomever these videos and pictures belong to)
And they use it to make things like this (after the paint/tint/detailing process)....
tron_daft_punk_helmet_by_perfecttommyautomail-d3crj5t.jpg

I wish they would make these in the old scale. I would love an Aqua.
I wish they would just do some sort of Birth By Sleep play arts line... Ventus, Terra, Aqua, Vanitas, and Master Xehanort in particular....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back