• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Blank Points not remastered in HD

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Precursor Mar

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HER LOW RES MODEL HAS THOSE diddlyING DUMB SHOULDERS ;~;

Her model actually kept me enjoying the scene because it was so distracting, it's that bad.

I'm sure the game is playable at least. From what I understand, it's just a problem of laziness on Square's part. Are there a lot of other problems with it too, or is it just the low-res scenes?

In my opinion out of all the HD remasters, BBSFM is the worst when it comes to performance. The framerate is kinda bad and the DLinks take forever. It's not that bad, but it takes some getting used to.

Some guy

But aren't those scenes FMVs though? So, they couldn't really be remastered, as in there are no textures to improve in an already set video ...

The scene pre-1000 heartless battle for example had to be a video, because the sheer amount of units on screen would crash the game (on Ps2) otherwise. However, I don't know why they did so in BBS (If those scenes are actually FMVs).

If SE still had the assets they used, I guess they could remake the scenes (though it seems like a bother, and I understand why they wouldn't do it).

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
That was most likely the problem. Still they made a 3 hours Re:coded movie so there should have had enough manpower to get these cutscenes remastered too. Even more so when it was apparently no problem to re-censor the FM scenes.

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards
What, did they run out of funds or something? That is disappointing. I might just wait for a PS4 remaster.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
There are things in this world I can understand, but the KH team opting not to remaster Blank Points is not one of them.

Who would have thought that at the end of the day, Coded fans would get the best deal out of these collections?

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
Honestly I should've seen this coming after 1.5's bullshots.
True. I remember the outrage from fans when we realized some of the still shots that had nice animated features (like non-fish faces) were just the same as always in actual gameplay.

Now, I don't like the fish faces, but that's hardly the issue I'm having now. You simply can't say - in good conscience - that your game is an HD remaster if you don't bother to fully make it that way. I mean, that's like telling someone you baked them a chocolate cake and made portions of it with yellow cake mix -_-

wolfshadow

Edit: nevermind, I just looked up what everyone means when the mention fish faces, but still. I never cared for that. It seemed normal to me since kh1.

Tetsujin

It's an FMV. Ain't much you can do besides upscaling it. They could've tried reassembling it scene by scene with the new models but other things like the re:coded cutscenes might have been a priority over one or two FMVs in KH2 and BBS.

"Lazy dev" is rarely a reason for anything. It's generally time and budget constraints and such.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
True. I remember the outrage from fans when we realized some of the still shots that had nice animated features (like non-fish faces) were just the same as always in actual gameplay.

Now, I don't like the fish faces, but that's hardly the issue I'm having now. You simply can't say - in good conscience - that your game is an HD remaster if you don't bother to fully make it that way. I mean, that's like telling someone you baked them a chocolate cake and made portions of it with yellow cake mix -_-

That's a pretty apt analogy.

Tetsujin said:
It's an FMV. Ain't much you can do besides upscaling it. They could've tried reassembling it scene by scene with the new models but other things like the re:coded cutscenes might have been a priority over one or two FMVs in KH2 and BBS.

What is an FMV exactly?

Tetsujin

What is an FMV exactly?

Full Motion Video.
Meaning it's just a video file that's being played back instead of a cutscene that is rendered in real time.

FMVs are a weakpoint in pretty much every HD port ever, not just here. Game devs rarely have the time or the original assets to go back and re-render them entirely, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Precursor Mar

Full Motion Video.
Meaning it's just a video file that's being played back instead of a cutscene that is rendered in real time.

FMVs are a weakpoint in pretty much every HD port ever, not just here. Game devs rarely have the time or the original assets to go back and re-render them entirely, unfortunately.

My question is why is Blank Points even a FMV in the first place? I get the one scene with the 1000 heartless, but the unremastered scenes in BBSFM don't even have more than three characters on screen at once. Did they run out of disc space on the original UMD or something?

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards
My question is why is Blank Points even a FMV in the first place? I get the one scene with the 1000 heartless, but the unremastered scenes in BBSFM don't even have more than three characters on screen at once. Did they run out of disc space on the original UMD or something?

All the secret endings in KH have been FMVs. It would be so weird for them to suddenly start rendering secret endings in real time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back