• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Can we all just address how strange a concept Monstro is?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Soldier

Awards
Hello,
(Disclaimer: this thread applies to all games that Monstro appears in)
One day this question just popped into my head, with no reason. Call it a kh shower thought, or whatever. Monstro, in of itself, is an biologist's nightmare, I should know, I'm trying to become one one day. In the original source material, we only see the inside of monstro's mouth and jaws, which are fairly large for a sperm whale to begin with. But in Kingdom Hearts, this is expanded into differing chambers and other areas related to the organ system. First boss inside of the parasite cage is inside the bowels, okay, and then it leads back into the mouth? how?!? Then to make things more confusing, to reach monstro's stomach, you need to go UP his throat to reach it. I know that it's just a game and that linear progression was the main focus, but would it have hurt to be a little more accurate? Maybe instead of having the throat require high jump it's located behind Gepetto's ship, and the defeat of the parasite cage causes the whale to violently shake things up inside the mouth, destroying some of the ship and allowing entry.

okhi12

Awards
I'm a biologist too. It's been long since I decided to stop thinking about biological inaccuracies in videogames and other media, otherwise I woudn't enjoy anything XD.
In a broader sense KH absolutely ignores the laws of physics, so we cannot expect living beings to be an exception.
That said, the location and design of Monstro's organs is a mess.
My favourite ''innards of living thing'' level from a videogame is the inside of Bionis (Xenoblade Chronicles). It doesn't make sense either but at least looks ''organic''.

Grey Skies

Awards
Sure that's weird, but there's artistic license, and I find it even stranger how a giant whale was swimming through space. Was it always a space whale? Did it enter space when its world was destroyed? How does it move through space? What does it eat to not starve? What does it breathe?

And considering it has such strange insides and can survive in space for long periods of time, it's reasonable to assume all organism in KH also have strange insides and physiologies.

Soldier

Awards
Sure that's weird, but there's artistic license, and I find it even stranger how a giant whale was swimming through space. Was it always a space whale? Did it enter space when its world was destroyed? How does it move through space? What does it eat to not starve? What does it breathe?

And considering it has such strange insides and can survive in space for long periods of time, it's reasonable to assume all organism in KH also have strange insides and physiologies.
BBS confirmed somewhat that the space (known as the Lanes between) has some form of air in it that allows organic life to respire. Xehanort was seen without his keyblade armor flying through it without any form of mouth protection, so it would seem the same can be applied to Monstro. As for how it flies through the space, some describe the lanes as the "ocean between worlds", so he likely swims through it like water.

Soldier

Awards
You know it's bad when Lord Jabu Jabu from OoT looks the comparatively more accurate whale.
Even though Lord Jabu Jabu has literal doors inside of it? As messed up as Monstro's innards are, at least the doors make some vague sense in being composed of cells?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Even though Lord Jabu Jabu has literal doors inside of it? As messed up as Monstro's innards are, at least the doors make some vague sense in being composed of cells?
At least the walls look like breathing flesh in LJJ.

But you know what the real question is? Where's the light coming from? Why are the insides of whales always so well lit? Or the inside of the human body in any film/show/game doing a Fantastic Voyage plot.

Soldier

Awards
At least the walls look like breathing flesh in LJJ.

But you know what the real question is? Where's the light coming from? Why are the insides of whales always so well lit? Or the inside of the human body in any film/show/game doing a Fantastic Voyage plot.
I guess it can be due to some cells possibly producing light? some species can produce light via bioluminescence like the anglerfish in finding nemo (which fun fact: is a female, because they're the only ones with lures). Since Monstro's strange anatomy defies every iota of marine biology, Who is to say that all creatures in the pinocchio cinematic universe have strange insides?

Guernsey

Awards
Correct if I am wrong but isn't Monstro's concept borrowed from Sin's concept from the FFX game?

Soldier

Awards
Correct if I am wrong but isn't Monstro's concept borrowed from Sin's concept from the FFX game?
Beats me? I never heard anything like that. I guess I can see where that would come from, given their resemblance to cetaceans.

Back