• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► CatWoman, Black Adam, Morbius, and Venom... (Fun discussion)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

vaderskywalker

Awards
Does anyone else think these movies are kind of similar? I mean think about it, each is a villain (or former villain/anti-hero if you want to get technical) that got their own solo movies as superheroes, and their ties to their respective heroes cut, what are your thoughts?

D

Deleted member 246005

I hadn't thought about it till now but yeah they do have that in common. They were popular in the comics and their solo stories are pretty good. So I agree with doing solo movies on them but execution can vary.

In adaptations you usually cut characters or events to save time etc. So cutting that connection is practical. Given that the MCU popularized long form storytelling in movies, you could introduce that connection later in another film. So far, Venom was the one who should've spinned out of Spider-Man than be introduced separately. Eddie and Venom have a beef with Spider-Man that drove them to be villians. Unlike the other 3 who don't have that integral a connection. They would exist and be villians without their heroes.

Last edited by a moderator:

vaderskywalker

Awards
I hadn't thought about it till now but yeah they do have that in common. They were popular in the comics and their solo stories are pretty good. So I agree with doing solo movies on them but execution can vary.

In adaptations you usually cut characters or events to save time etc. So cutting that connection is practical. Given that the MCU popularized long form storytelling in movies, you could introduce that connection later in another film. So far, Venom was the one who should've spinned out of Spider-Man than be introduced separately. But Eddie and Venom have a beef with Spider-Man that drove them to be villians. Unlike the other 3 who don't have that integral a connection. They would exist and be villians without their heroes.
For the record, I like the Venom movies, (probably should have said that at the start), Venom has always been my favorite Spider-Man villain, he's like a dark reflection of Spidey, and me personally I think he works pretty well without being a villain, despite not having any of Spidey's power, without Spidey there to "mess up his life" (he did that all by himself), he became a hero on his own (even if it did take until the end of the second movie), saw CatWoman once, years ago, thought it was boring, Black Adam, saw it just a couple days ago, thought it was very good, too bad it's not getting a sequel (DC shot itself multiple times in the foot with that reboot idea, what are they thinking) and I have yet to see Morbius, but really hoping it's good (heard rumors that it's not, but that is something for me to decide on my own, you know, our own opinions and all that), so no spoilers on that please, so far it seems that Venom is the only one that has been truly successful, (of course Marvel and Sony are both guilty of shooting themselves in the foot, with that tease of Tom Hardy's Venom, crossing over with Tom holland's Spidey, and not following through), but my point is, I think a solo villain movie can work, it just needs a good director, and a studio who knows what they're doing.

D

Deleted member 246005

For the record, I like the Venom movies, (probably should have said that at the start), Venom has always been my favorite Spider-Man villain, he's like a dark reflection of Spidey, and me personally I think he works pretty well without being a villain, despite not having any of Spidey's power, without Spidey there to "mess up his life" (he did that all by himself), he became a hero on his own (even if it did take until the end of the second movie), saw CatWoman once, years ago, thought it was boring, Black Adam, saw it just a couple days ago, thought it was very good, too bad it's not getting a sequel (DC shot itself multiple times in the foot with that reboot idea, what are they thinking) and I have yet to see Morbius, but really hoping it's good (heard rumors that it's not, but that is something for me to decide on my own, you know, our own opinions and all that), so no spoilers on that please, so far it seems that Venom is the only one that has been truly successful, (of course Marvel and Sony are both guilty of shooting themselves in the foot, with that tease of Tom Hardy's Venom, crossing over with Tom holland's Spidey, and not following through), but my point is, I think a solo villain movie can work, it just needs a good director, and a studio who knows what they're doing.
I don't disagree, we just haven't seen it yet outside of Joker and X-men first class. Sony is determined to make other movies about Spider-Man villians so we'll see how it goes.

vaderskywalker

Awards
I don't disagree, we just haven't seen it yet outside of Joker and X-men first class. Sony is determined to make other movies about Spider-Man villians so we'll see how it goes.
Oh, I forgot about Joker, the thing with that movie, for me personally, is that I only have 2 Jokers I like,
and those are, 1. Mark Hamil.

2. Jack Nickelson, that, and I'm just not a fan of R rated movies, unless they do something interesting like Deadpool, or I'm watching a horror movie with some relatives, otherwise, R rated movies just aren't for me, if you like it that's great, but it's just not for me.

Edit: I should make something clear, R rated action movies are okay, I'm just not big on gore, like the kind you would see in horror movies.

Last edited:

vaderskywalker

Awards
Personally, I'm not a fan of making the bad guys look like nice characters.
And I agree, (unless they have some kind of honor code, like Captain Cold), they don't have to look like nice guys to have a movie.

Back