• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Chain of Memories Spritework Appreciation Post

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zackarix

Awards

Seasaltrio

Awards
I'm currently playing COM on Arcadespot.com (emulator website) and I never actually realized until now what good art it has for GBA. I've played Pokemon and Fire Emblem games on the GBA. COM trumps the Pokemon art hands down. Honestly COM and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones are tied for me. Actually, I'll just attach a link to some of the pixel art profiles for characters in Fire Emblem. Overall, I like COM more, except when you get stuck on a 0= door and have to farm heartless for a gazillion hours.

Attachments

• b1c4bb34267caa866b59b73adfbf790a.png
    b1c4bb34267caa866b59b73adfbf790a.png
    575.7 KB · Views: 4

Zackarix

Awards
The sprite-work will keep original CoM looking great forever. Compare that to the way the characters look in Days, which was bad from Day 1.
There's really something to be said for working with the system a game is on to get good graphics instead of pushing the system to its limits trying to replicate a more powerful console.

I read somewhere that early in its development they considered making Days a 2D game. I don't know if it would have been a better game overall, but it certainly would have looked better. At least it would have left room for more than six Disney worlds.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
I read somewhere that early in its development they considered making Days a 2D game. I don't know if it would have been a better game overall, but it certainly would have looked better. At least it would have left room for more than six Disney worlds.
I'm still sad about the exclusion of Gideon and Honest John from a potential Pinocchio world in Days. Shame they didn't even make an appearance in DDD.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I'm currently playing COM on Arcadespot.com (emulator website) and I never actually realized until now what good art it has for GBA. I've played Pokemon and Fire Emblem games on the GBA. COM trumps the Pokemon art hands down. Honestly COM and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones are tied for me. Actually, I'll just attach a link to some of the pixel art profiles for characters in Fire Emblem. Overall, I like COM more, except when you get stuck on a 0= door and have to farm heartless for a gazillion hours.
I loved the sprites in Sacred Stones.

Anyway, I said in another thread that if they visit a Wreck-It Ralph world, it would be cool if their form change was to their COM pixel-style.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I actually prefer the GBA Chain of Memories to the PS2 remake. Call it nostalgia or what you will, but I think a part of the GBA version's charm came from that beautiful spritework and the character portraits that accompanied them. From a storytelling/consistency standpoint, I could see someone preferring the cutscenes of the PS2 version, they really were great to experience years after the GBA version. But I don't know, the GBA version will always hold that special place in my heart. I also think the battle style and the card based environments just worked better overall in it's portable-based form as well, but it's all subjective.

magic713

Awards
I am curious if anyone has made a 32-bit version of phase 3 of the Marluxia battle. And if the form would have worked in the gba format (give or take a few features)

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Oogie Boogie looked way better than he had any right to.

Back