• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Chance of KH1/2 Remake?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Ensure that Noumra doesn't at all touch the remakes and give the wheel to Kanemaki or Amano along with an actual cast of writers and it MIGHT work. Unfortunately, as said above, the voice casting's going to be a problem. But...GOD having DeVito and Murphy for once, come to reprise their roles for Phil and Mushu is...enticing af.

HOL UP. ANOTHER ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM.

A KH1 remake...literally can't happen. For that to happen they would have to bring back all the worlds from KH1. And as sad the reality is, this world?
View attachment 12900
This world right here? Yeah? There's no way in hell it'll come back. Which is...actually sad, because it would've redeemed itself as a...pretty aesthetically good jungle world.

As I am going to mention again, if they ever do a genuine remake, the game will not be even remotely close to being the same KH1. SE’s design philosophy negates the possibility of this ever being a straightforward remake.

This would definitely become a new game in the series but would just so happen to be placed in KH1’s story. It’d be FF7R: Kingdom Hearts Edition. It would start with a similar enough story but everything’s just slightly different and then things go on and everything becomes REALLY different.

This would allow them to cut Deep Jungle without any issues because it would be a whole new game with a new story and easily fill that space with something new and shocking.

This is what happened with FF7R, what is happening with the Nier “Remaster”. FF3 and FF4 on DS were completely new renditions. FFI and II for PSP were also overhauled stories. I could keep going on to point out how must SE does not do 1:1 remakes. They just don’t.

KH would not be an exception to this and we know Nomura would make it relevant story canon to the ongoing present story rather than just going for a visual upgrade with a little extra thing or two.

AegisXIII

Awards
As I am going to mention again, if they ever do a genuine remake, the game will not be even remotely close to being the same KH1. SE’s design philosophy negates the possibility of this ever being a straightforward remake.

This would definitely become a new game in the series but would just so happen to be placed in KH1’s story. It’d be FF7R: Kingdom Hearts Edition. It would start with a similar enough story but everything’s just slightly different and then things go on and everything becomes REALLY different.

This would allow them to cut Deep Jungle without any issues because it would be a whole new game with a new story and easily fill that space with something new and shocking.

This is what happened with FF7R, what is happening with the Nier “Remaster”. FF3 and FF4 on DS were completely new renditions. FFI and II for PSP were also overhauled stories. I could keep going on to point out how must SE does not do 1:1 remakes. They just don’t.

KH would not be an exception to this and we know Nomura would make it relevant story canon to the ongoing present story rather than just going for a visual upgrade with a little extra thing or two.
I am throwing even more ideas. They could reboot 1.5 and 2.5. which means that there wouldn't be all the side games but Chain of Memories/days would be incorporated as part of the main story of 1 and bbs and re:coded in the main story of 2.
2.8 could be part of 3 and here we are with just 3 games that removed most of the convoluted aspects.

Noivern

Awards
It's interesting to me to see this being discussed at all considering I thought everyone was dead tired of replaying through the SAME story again;

Seriously, we had KH1, CoM and Coded as literally the very same story worlds retold with very little changes, then there was also the manga and novels, and now the rumours of the Disney+ series.

Days was also half KH1 and half KH2 with Roxas slotted in place of Sora. lol

That being said, no, I don't want nor think KH is/should get a remake right now. The game still works perfectly fine and I'd rather have all the possible references to future games being addressed in another format like the Disney+ show (if it actually happens).

BUT I would love if they actually remade CoM and Days together as one individual game! Take away the card mechanic from CoM (it was nice in the GBA where it made sense given the limitations and it felt good to use, but in the Remake it feels like hot garbage and I couldn't for the life of me force me to finish even Twilight Town), use actual world formats for it and change a bit of the story so both games share more worlds.

I feel like the "FF7R" treatment that Spockhart has been yelling about would fit those games the best and they could make something really interesting, it's essentially The Missing Year/The Organization Chronicles" collection and they could really do wonders by connecting Riku's side of CoM with what he did between Days and KH2.

AegisXIII

Awards
It's interesting to me to see this being discussed at all considering I thought everyone was dead tired of replaying through the SAME story again;

Seriously, we had KH1, CoM and Coded as literally the very same story worlds retold with very little changes, then there was also the manga and novels, and now the rumours of the Disney+ series.

It's not just replaying the same story all over again. This is annoying when this is part of the natural progression of the story. What matters is how the game can transcend the passing of time and still exist 10 years from now. People are affraid to get into the serie because they see they have to catch up 10 games. That's not good when 3-4 of them are just revisiting the same disney worlds over and over.

Having a remake that removes this redundancy might help.

Chie

Awards
It wouldn't help, it would hurt, because then everyone else would be fucked for playing "non-canon" versions, or they're both canon, or the new ones aren't canon, or-

Also, "still exist 10 years from now"? Almost all games still exist, what?

D

Deleted member 252753

Yeah, even though I can theoretically see the appeal of making the story more streamlined and coherent I think actually remaking the series wouldn't help and it would probably make people view the series as even more overcomplicated anyway if there were non-canon versions of the games. With FF7R they've been pretty clear that it doesn't overwrite the original FF7 but is its own story.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It'd be as confusing as it was for me when Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart was announced.

I thought the game was following on from the 2016 reimagining which included new story, bringing in characters from later games in earlier, and it cut worlds that were in the original. Instead, after the presentation, I learnt that it follows on from the 2013 release and features the continuity from before the reimagining.

I know there was a movie involved and the game was made quickly and on a budget (hence the cuts) which is why it currently exists by itself despite the other games.

So to have all the stories of the Kingdom Hearts games, bar the mobile games, on modern platforms and then do a reimagining of the first game with new continuity, cutting worlds etc, and then have Kingdom Hearts 4 ignore that completely and pick up from the game prior to the reimagining would be, in my opinion, catastrophic for the already poor, convoluted reception this series has.

And at least Kingdom Hearts has all of its games accessible on modern platforms. Lemme play all the Ratchet and Clank games on PS4 pls (Now isn't available here.)

D

Deleted member 246005

I could see it happening down the road but are other games i wanna see like FF8R, FF16 and FF10-3 first.

The Arbiter of Time nonwithstanding I liked alot of the style of FF7r. Other franchises such as Jak and Daxter and DMC could benefit from an FF7r touch.

Kingdom hearts 1/2 could benefit from FF7R's attempts at deeper characterization than the Arbiter of Time plot building. DDD made it harder for me to take Xehanort seriously with all its retconning.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I could see it happening down the road but are other games i wanna see like FF8R, FF16 and FF10-3 first.

The Arbiter of Time nonwithstanding I liked alot of the style of FF7r. Other franchises such as Jak and Daxter and DMC could benefit from an FF7r touch.

Kingdom hearts 1/2 could benefit from FF7R's attempts at deeper characterization than the Arbiter of Time plot building. DDD made it harder for me to take Xehanort seriously with all its retconning.

I'm playing FF8 right now and I definitely think it should be the next game they remake. It's a game that honestly could use a whole overhaul. The story is more straightforward than FF7, but I think less fully realized because of a lot of holes in its lore. It also relies a bit too much of character types to inform the audience rather than building genuine characters. The game is really funny and has a lot of interesting things going on, but I just finished up Disk 1 and I just keep thinking about how it could be a way better game.

If they go full Remake style, it is the perfect game to play with time travel mechanics since it is a core aspect of the game considering its closed time loop and then all of the time compression stuff. They could get really creative with it. Perhaps borrow some Chrono Trigger and FFXIII-2 elements?

And yes, I agree with KH1/2 having a similar approach. Also, Nomura did introduce this whole "worldline" stuff in KH3, so a remake could just be an alternate worldline. Helps to tie the lore together a bit more.

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I agree with Spockanort that they aren’t likely to remake it without some kind of big twist to it and I think Nomura would want it to remain in the current canon.

With those things in mind (and I know I’ve said this before,) I think the closest we would get to a KH1 remake any time soon is a game that uses the live action remakes of the same worlds (trading Tarzan for Jungle Book) to show a different worldline that more or less tells an AU version of KH1, maybe even with Yozora as the protagonist. I’m not crazy about those movies, but I think a game with them could potentially be fun and visually impressive if done well. Using the likeness of actors might be a licensing hassle though. Plus, they’d need to wait a few more years for Little Mermaid, Hercules, etc to come out.

I hope they just keep moving forward though. We’ve had enough KH1 rehashes to last a couple decades.

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
It'd be as confusing as it was for me when Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart was announced.

I thought the game was following on from the 2016 reimagining which included new story, bringing in characters from later games in earlier, and it cut worlds that were in the original. Instead, after the presentation, I learnt that it follows on from the 2013 release and features the continuity from before the reimagining.

I know there was a movie involved and the game was made quickly and on a budget (hence the cuts) which is why it currently exists by itself despite the other games.
The movie bombed & no one wants anything more to do with it. Hence, return to the old continuity.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I'm playing FF8 right now and I definitely think it should be the next game they remake. It's a game that honestly could use a whole overhaul. The story is more straightforward than FF7, but I think less fully realize because of a lot of holes in its lore. It also relies a bit too much of character types to inform the audience rather than building genuine characters. The game is really funny and has a lot of interesting things going on, but I just finished up Disk 1 and I just think about how it could be a way better game.

If they go full Remake style, it is the perfect game to play with time travel mechanics since it is a core aspect of the game considering its closed time loop and then all of the time compression stuff. They could get really creative with it. Perhaps borrow some Chrono Trigger and FFXIII-2 elements?

And yes, I agree with KH1/2 having a similar approach. Also, Nomura did introduce this whole "worldline" stuff in KH3, so a remake could just be an alternate worldline. Helps to tie the lore together a bit more.
Give me my remake Rinoa! She's earned it! Still I'd be sad to see FF5 be skipped over for a remake like it was when the FF7 remake was announced.

D

Deleted member 246005

@Zip
Having Yozora go through the different live action remakes could be interesting. Even if its a redo of 1, Yozora's presence instead of Sora allows it to be a very different story than before.

@Oracle Spockanort
I haven't played 8 yet but i get what you mean. There was fan novelization on Archiveofourown that had similar concerns.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I agree with Spockanort that they aren’t likely to remake it without some kind of big twist to it and I think Nomura would want it to remain in the current canon.

With those things in mind (and I know I’ve said this before,) I think the closest we would get to a KH1 remake any time soon is a game that uses the live action remakes of the same worlds (trading Tarzan for Jungle Book) to show a different worldline that more or less tells an AU version of KH1, maybe even with Yozora as the protagonist. I’m not crazy about those movies, but I think a game with them could potentially be fun and visually impressive if done well. Using the likeness of actors might be a licensing hassle though. Plus, they’d need to wait a few more years for Little Mermaid, Hercules, etc to come out.

I hope they just keep moving forward though. We’ve had enough KH1 rehashes to last a couple decades.

A suggestion Antifa Lockhart made some time ago was that they use the same story elements but change the character designs.

Settling somewhere in the middle while still using a vague likeness of the actors would be safe enough to avoid needing to pay anybody. If they hire anybody, it would be strictly for their voices (which I would imagine was already negotiated somewhere in their contracts).

I agree, though. I'm tired of looking back at KH1 and that period of time. Perhaps it was an animated series or film doing a complete reboot, it'd be a little different because that would be a completely different medium. A game, though? It's okay. We still have a lot of mysteries to explore in the future of the series.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

I only ever played FF4 on DS, what was the change?

welken

Awards
A high-ambition alternate worldline reboot-sequel that reinterprets and remixes the first game, then goes beyond that, and tells a complete epic saga in one standalone title, is probably my dream KH game. As things stand now. KH3 broke the story worse than BBS did (and BBS broke it worse than KH2 did) so... why not hit the big red button. Until/unless Yozora proves me wrong, what have we got to lose. The Sora-Riku rivalry is the most potent drama KH has. Going forward with the series, it would really be a shame if they didn't do more with Riku dramatically. I want to see rivalry and passion back in KH.

The main elements I'd want the KH1 re:do to include from later games are Nobodies (the monsters, not the Org) and drive forms. Castle Oblivion and the World that Never Was should be included, but melded into one ominous world is fine. I'd like the new End of the World (doesn't need to be called that) to do something similar in theme to 0.2's Dark World, but include chaotically crunched versions of all the Princesses' worlds, with EotW's dreamy violet touch. I wouldn't mind the gummi ship segments becoming more nautical, like sailing on a vast surreal sea, as long as there are stretches of calm between battles.

Destiny Islands, Traverse Town, Wonderland, Monstro, Halloween Town and Hollow Bastion are all a must for me, but everything else can be new original worlds and as-yet unused Disney worlds. In fact, the final third or so of the game after Hollow Bastion should be totally fresh, and full of twists. At least one original world should have a nature/wilderness theme, maybe even full of FF monsters. There can be multiple colosseums. Multiple story routes depending on your choices and the sequence of worlds completed. A full RPG party by game's end, and the freedom to switch between them. Original, Disney, and FF characters should all be mingling, as heroes and villains, throughout all the worlds. And the final final world in the game? Kingdom Hearts itself.

Alternately, a KH with a completely new cast, setting and story (and development team lol) but still including Donald, Goofy, and Maleficent would be very refreshing.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Personally, even if SE were to remake any games right now I would rather they turn UX and DR into fun to play accessible games, though I know that's very unlikely. Incidentally those would show off classic film worlds too. As far as KH1/KH2 are concerned, I don't see as much need to remake them as imo they still hold up fairly well and are fun to play as part of the compilations.

You never know. It may happen eventually, but probably not any time soon. From what it sounds like, all the KH teams are busy. I think one team is already in the pre-planning state for KH4 if I remember reading things correctly. Doesn't mean we'll get it right away, but it's probably being figured out, while another team develops the next title after Melody of Memory (unless that actually IS the bridge game from KH3 to KH4).

I didn't even dive into KH2. They'd drop hints of Maleficent time traveling. Vague hints of Roxas and Axel having another ice cream buddy. Ventus's heart probably reacting to Xemnas, because he looks like Terra. Xigbar would be in full Luxu troll mode. Minnie would take credit for banishing Pete. Donald and Goofy would know Yen Sid's tower moves. The mansion in Twilight Town would house so many foreshadowing events. Kairi getting her Keyblade in a different manner. Pence would recognize Axel. More Foreteller and Subject X teasing. Mickey would think of Aqua every now and again and debate if now was the time to save her or not.

A lot of these would be really interesting to see if they were done correctly, especially the Mickey and Aqua situation. Xigbar has been in troll mode since the guy first appeared, so I don't think he really could allude any further besides straight up saying he's Luxu. Even the "You're not half the hero the others were" and the "Why do you always look at me like I'm trying to drown your goldfish?" lines have WAY more weight to it when you realize that he's talking about the same person but from a completely different era of time. Everything he's said up to KH3 now comes with a different meaning.

The Subject X stuff has SO much potential too, because there's also the pods in Twilight Town's mansion that "had signs of being used before". And we just know that's gonna eventually come into play sooner or later.

I'm playing FF8 right now and I definitely think it should be the next game they remake. It's a game that honestly could use a whole overhaul. The story is more straightforward than FF7, but I think less fully realized because of a lot of holes in its lore. It also relies a bit too much of character types to inform the audience rather than building genuine characters. The game is really funny and has a lot of interesting things going on, but I just finished up Disk 1 and I just keep thinking about how it could be a way better game.

FF8 is my favorite Final Fantasy (it's also the first one I've played, so I'm biased), and I think there's so many more cool things they could do with the Remake. Square's toyed with the idea of a Remake for 8, but it most likely wouldn't come until after 7R's completed. In terms of the lore with the GFs, they could absolutely dial that up and take that somewhere completely new.

The Junction System would also need reworking. I didn't mind it, but it's not intuitive, and caused a lot of people grief. The battle system was also more input-heavy than previous games (in some ways similar to Legend of Dragoon, which came out in 2000), so a FF7R-styled ATB system would work wonders for a FF8 Remake. There's so many things they could do with FF8 and I think if done right, it could absolutely surpass FF7R's overall story when it's all done.

If Verum Rex ended up being a pseudo-remake of KH1, I think that's easily their KH1 remake quota done right then and there. Magia and Aegis seem to be Yozora's Donald and Goofy too, so there's that. Plus the "I've been having these weird thoughts lately..." line, the parallels are there for a reason.

I don't think they'll actually do this, though. I think if anything, Yozora's and Sora's backstories will parallel, but not with Verum Rex literally being KH1. There'll probably be similarities like both Sora and Yozora losing their home, gaining power, having to fight their best friend while looking for their other best friend, and overall goal to achieve like saving the world/universe, but maybe Yozora's path will take a different turn than Sora's did.

Back in the day, Nomura named Noctis Lucis Caelum as "Light of the Night Sky" and said he's parallel to Sora, where his name means "Sky". I believe he said they're parallel for a reason. Now we have Yozora, who's name means "Night Sky" as well. I found this interview from Nomura back in 2013 that touches on this (although the legitimacy is weird because he says KH3 is the last chapter in the main numbered Kingdom Hearts series... and DDD was already out by then (I think the KH3 trailer probably was out too) and KH Chi had just started, so it has to be a translation error BUT nevertheless...):

Finaland & FFDream: You’ve created a lot of characters for the Final Fantasy series. What’s your favorite character between all those you’ve created ?

Tetsuya Nomura: Hmm if I had to choose a favorite character, I would say Sora, and Noctis. Why them? Of course Sora, I’ve been together with him for more than ten years now, this is the first time i’ve been with a character for such a long time, so he’s very very special for me and he’s been adopted by Disney also, so he’s a very very good boy. More like a good son actually.

Also there is Noctis, he hasn’t been in front of you, I mean moving etc yet in a real gameplay but he will soon, in the future.

Do you know the name Sora mean the “sky”, in japanese and Noctis, his family name is Caelum which mean sky as well so basically, Noctis mean “night sky”, so they are kind of complete opposites to each other. There is a reason why I named these characters as opposites. Noctis is kind of like my latest boy, or latest son and I expect him to be more clever than Cloud.

Keep in mind too, this is already back when KH3 was in full development too, so my theory is that Noctis was always supposed to be in Kingdom Hearts in some form. Yozora seems to be Noctis's stand-in now, but you never know, Yozora could literally be Noctis but something happened to the guy.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
A lot of these would be really interesting to see if they were done correctly, especially the Mickey and Aqua situation. Xigbar has been in troll mode since the guy first appeared, so I don't think he really could allude any further besides straight up saying he's Luxu. Even the "You're not half the hero the others were" and the "Why do you always look at me like I'm trying to drown your goldfish?" lines have WAY more weight to it when you realize that he's talking about the same person but from a completely different era of time. Everything he's said up to KH3 now comes with a different meaning.

The Subject X stuff has SO much potential too, because there's also the pods in Twilight Town's mansion that "had signs of being used before". And we just know that's gonna eventually come into play sooner or later.
Don't get me wrong, I like those two quotes specially the goldfish one, but they'd likely have given Xigbar more accurate trolling. The "You're not half the hero the others were" still holds to foreshadowing but I wish it was more accurate. Whether He was talking about the BBS cast or age of Fairy Tale cast, from what I've seen neither can shine Sora's oversized boots when talking about being a hero.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
No disrespect but whether it's true or not, I think it would be weird to have Xigbar not talk down to Sora. He's pretty rude to everyone, Xehanort included, so I personally don't think him saying stuff like that is really a continuity problem.
Xigbar actually isn't that rude. In fact he's one of the chiller guys, especially when comparing him to the likes of Saix, Xaldin, and Larxene. He's trollish, but it's not always in a insulting way. He went out of his way to compliment Roxas, Xion, and Terra. But for Xigbar's trolling there is usually some hidden message or truth in them. So far the "half the hero" comment is the only one that doesn't hold any truth and only foreshadows that other Keyblade wielders exist. Again it's a good line, but nothing has come of it. What makes the other Keyblade wielders more heroic then what Sora's doing? Or even Riku? A line like that implies these are legendary heroes to aspire to be, but so far it seems Sora already reached this level, even by the time Xigbar said it.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Don't get me wrong, I like those two quotes specially the goldfish one, but they'd likely have given Xigbar more accurate trolling. The "You're not half the hero the others were" still holds to foreshadowing but I wish it was more accurate. Whether He was talking about the BBS cast or age of Fairy Tale cast, from what I've seen neither can shine Sora's oversized boots when talking about being a hero.

When it comes to Organization XIII in general, they all underestimate Sora quite a bit. Which is strange, because Sora's defeated two halves of Xehanort already (not solo, but still). Then there's Castle Oblivion and everything that happens there.

Xigbar's the only one that understands how much of a threat Sora is, but even in DDD, he was still downplaying him. I think it's once Sora did his "my friends are my power" speech, he started taking Sora more seriously. That's why in KH3, he's less of a troll and more cryptic than usual. Also remarking on how Sora's "rained on their parade more than once."

So I think Xigbar in KH2 is only saying that because up to that point, he hadn't really seen Sora's strength first hand. That, and obviously because he's trying to get a rise out of Sora (Sora knew this and didn't take the bait, though).

Back