• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Clarify something for me...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
That's... a good question. I think AX's memory was a huge mess. First of all, between Xehanort and Terra, there's two sets of memories and two different personas stuck in one guy. Then, you have that one time when Xehanort tried to get rid of the Terra persona left in there by poking it out with his Keyblade, which seemed to mostly seal both of them away.

I don't think that AX was truly faking it. That's not to say that bits and pieces didn't rub off on him, like the "superhuman talents" Ansem the Wise observed, a fascination with the hearts and the darkness, and (from what we've seen from Xemnas) a small recollection about Aqua and Ventus. Down-in-there impulses that couldn't be removed with a memory wipe.

Probably thanks to some time and Ansem's testing, more of those impulses began to resurface til AX was able to piece it together as a memory of sorts. I think some of his more dubious actions, such as the first scene of DDD, were results of that subconscious Xehanort persona getting the conscious self to act on instinct rather than calculated thought on his own part.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I'm afraid this particular issue cannot be clarified yet because there stil exist hints towards both possible truths.

The memory mess is one of the mysteries still unaddressed by the series and Nomura.
Dream Drop Distance threw us more pieces towards this particular puzzle, but we're still far away from having enough pieces to paint a clear picture if the amnesia was feigned or not.

It is also possible that both is true and the amnesia was genuine at the beginning, but Ansem's first experiments on the heart (the psychological, non-torturous ones) with Xehanort as a willing test subject brought back an unspecified amount of memories, possibly a wide mix of MX and Terra-memories.

Ansem the Wise actually speaks about just that possibility in the first report of KH II:
Secret Ansem Report 1 said:
If I explore Xehanort's heart with psychological tests, I may be able to recall the past locked away within. My apprentice Even has also shown great interest in Xehanort's memories. But is he really the right subject? Xehanort does indeed exhibit extraordinary talents...

Anagram

Banned
At this point it's more annoyance than mystery amirite? The easiest answer I've ever seen was that the amnesia is genuine but Xehanort has the power to take control. Meaning he's amnesic normally but remembers when Xehanort is using him for something. Controlled split personality syndrome as it were.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I find the easiest answer was he was genuinely amnesiac until the experiments seen in the opening of KH3D at which point MX is in control again. Seems to cause the least amount of issues, imo.

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com
I think he was more confused than amnesiac at the start of 3DS, but definitely amnesiac at the ending of BBS. I think while he was wrestling with two personalities he created his own, went mad after the darkness experiments, and the went psycho.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
There's nothing to suggest he went psycho. All of his actions post the experiments are extremely meticulous and planned out.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Well the way you were phrasing it made it sounds like you were talking in a "he went crazy and just started doing batshit stuff with no rhyme or reason" where really, post-experiments, he just started acting like his original self again (MX)

Sorakh212

Awards
Like what's been previously said there's nothing in the canon that definitively answers your question but honestly I don't think Young Xehanort did retain his memories of what happened in the future...or if he did he isn't conscious of them. When it comes to things like time travel things like that tend to create paradoxes of sorts and then there's the whole question of well how did so and so find out in the first place if it was them specifically that went and time traveled yadda yadda yadda. It gets pretty confusing after a while really and can be quite difficult to wrap one's head around. We'll have to wait for KH3 to know for sure though. Who knows what other information we're currently lacking will turn out to be a huge twist at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back