• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Close Shut the Jaws of Oblivion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Endgame

:D
*Annoints Sky with the holy waters of WIN.*

At long last, someone's guessed my little quiz.

Well...I'll be including one of these with every single chapter from now on. It could be anything to do with the Fic or game...hey, I could ask you what M'aiq's favourite headwear is. Guess the answer, and it's Rep for you.

Obviously, the same person can't win twice.

frisson

Silver Member
Dang, and I really thought I had that one. =/

Oh well, awaiting the next chapter in earnest.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
That's really cool, Zetsumi, good idea. Was that the question that you just asked, or was that an example?

Endgame

Chapter Four - Shadows and Secrets

Raven was cold.

That was the first thing he realised. He didn't recall coming to. He just slowly eased into realisations that he was not only cold, but uncomfortable.

He could feel something stabbing into his back, something sharp. Probably a rock, judging be the semi-dirt stone floor on which he could feel he was laying. He could feel that his wrists were bound behind him, and that his Leather armour had been stripped, leaving only the meagre clothes he wore beneath it. Raven didn't believe in paying good money for clothes that would be beneath his armour, and as a direct result, he ended up sleeping in a sackcloth garment that made him look like a begger.

He owned his own house, but he'd never seen the point in forking out for furnishings. Like his clothes, it was bare an unadorned. It's only features were a bed, and chest at the foot of it. He ate his meals at the guild, or cross-legged on the floor.

"Awake, are we?"

The deep, melodious voice shocked Raven, and brought his memories flooding back into his mind. The Assassins, then Vay'leon killing them...and knocking him out!

"Whaaaaa..." Raven moaned, before swallowing, gathering himself, and putting all his effort into talking, despite a numb jaw.

"What's...going on?" he asked simply.

"Heh...you tell me!" Vay'leon motioned, and Raven could now see they sat within a cave, the Mage leaning against a wall nearby.
"It was smart of you...getting your friends to attack me like that, while you were with me. It almost fooled me when you shot one...but then...I know you bastards are all heartless sociopaths. You probably enjoyed killing a comrade."

"What the hell...are you...Talking about?" asked Raven, as loudly and angrily as he could, despite his still semi-paralysed body. Somehow, he managed to convey some sense of displeasure despite his condition. Vay'leon grinned, then strode over to him, letting something fall. Raven felt something land on his chest...an arrow?

"This was found in the body of a Mage's Guild healer known as White Pheonix, in the Imperial City. It's called the Rose of Sithis...but I'm betting you knew that already. We already identified where the shot came from. Only a master marksman could have done it. And you've got history with the Brotherhood...hell, your father was one of them! And it looks like we were right...an attack, as soon as you knew I was in town?"

Raven desperatly gasped, trying both to proclaim his innocence and force his jaws to work, and the result was a strangled moan.

"Don't bother. The guild already knows all about you. Your 'connections'. Face it, Raven. You, are, a dead man."

Vay'leon put careful purpose on the last few words, letting them sink in. Raven was shocked. They'd already passed his sentance? But, he was innocent!

But...if they'd given him the Death Penalty, Vay'leon would be well within his rights to just kill him...so why hadn't he already?

"Heh...you've figured it out by now, havn't you? No, I'm not going to kill you. Guess why?" Vay'leon smirked, bending over Raven so the paralysed young man could see his face. He waited for a second, then continued:
"It's like this. I need you...for something to happen. And I need you to draw others here. So, you get to live for now. Here's the deal. I've placed a spell on you while you were asleep. It was a very difficult one to work, but not impossible for someone of my own skill. The basic premise is this...while you're within a certain distance from me, you live. Leave that area, or I die, and you kinda...explode. Well, not really. It's more a turning-inside-out and simultaneuosly corroding. But that's not the point. It's nasty, that's all you need to know."

"So...what happens now?" asked Raven, feeling sick.

"That's easy too..." the mage stated, opening the old wooden door and letting light fill the dank cave, as Raven's bindings dissapeared mysteriously: "You and I...we are going to the Imperial City. We need to go see someone very special."

~

Talin moved quietly through the shadows at the base of the city's wall, less then a shadow herself. She skirted the guard-post at the gates, unseen, and dashed across the open area into the relative safety of a doorway.

Now, she drew a Lockpick from her light clothes, a skintight leather armour wrapped about in a cloak, and examined the lock. With an expert twist, she had the door open, and slipped inside as a patrol appeared around the corner, closing the door behind her.

Moving silently through the darkened, still house, she quickly ascended a staircase and was in the bedroom. She crept across the stone floor, rounding a bookcase to find...an empty bed?

That's when the knife buired itself in her left arm.

Talin had long since learned that screaming in pain on a burglarly never brought about any good, so she remained silent, but that was hardly an indication that it didn't hurt. In fact, right now, she was in agony, she simply didn't show it.

"That on was a warning..." a calm voice said from behind her, as the smoothe 'Shhhhing' of a sword being drawn could be heard. She spun about to see a Dai-Katana pointed directly at her heart.

"Heh...if I can say anything about the Dark Brotherhood, it's that they've made their armour a helluva a lot sexier since last time I killed one of their 'Sisters'."

Before her stood a tall man, clad in a full suit of Ebony Armour, a Dark Elf, no less. His weapon looked like one of Morrowind's Dagoth variety. It was the middle of the night, Talin noted. This guy slept in his armour?

"Dark Brotherhood? You've got the wrong sneak, Dunmer!" Talin protested, a wry grin playing across her face. Despite the pain in her arm, and the still-unremoved dagger, she knew that she could possibly escape a much more painful fate with a few simple gestures now.

"Oh, you were from some OTHER group that wears black leather, and decided to assassinate me in my sleep? Of course...how stupid of me! Dehsworn, how could you have made such an easy mistake?"

With that, he pressed the tip of his blade against her throat and smiled.

"Look...I was sent here to steal a few trinkets, is all. The Doyen said that the old guy that lived here collected Daedric artifacts from Cyrodiil and Vvardenfel. He was hoping to score some."

"Theives Guild? Ah, I see...well, your information was correct, after a fashion...but I'm far from old. And I've been in town less then a week...tell me...where did you hear of this?"

Talin hesitated. The Doyan has said he'd got the info' off a guy in a black robe, who said he was a fellow theif without the skills to break in here. Of course, she shouldn't tell him their source...but then, most people reacted quite predictably to the revelation that they were not being assassinated, but robbed. They all screamed out: "GUARDS!"

Dehsworn, on the other hand, had no intention of giving her a choice. Someone had told them he was here, and led them to believe he was a soft target. They'd probably wanted him to kill the theif they sent, forcing himself to relocate, and maybe even turning himself into a criminal. Clever. He raised the sword to eye level, before motioning the to door to the lower level.

"C'mon. Let's discuss it over some Surlie Brothers...or are you a fan of Taminka's brew?"​

OH EM GEE!
Plot development! Vay'leon is ARRESTING Raven? And he wants him to see someone 'Special'?
And Talin meets a character we havn't seen for a Chapter or two: Dehsworn!

Now, this chapter's quiz! Not one of the members in this fic actually knows who each of the other character are. So, to get the rep this time, you have to give me the identities of the following characters!

Zetsumi - Who oh who? I wonder...
Dehsworn - The Morag Tong assassin, and marketplace brawler! Fond of alchohol?
Raven - Asthetic 'leader' of the Skingrad Fighters Guild, and...wanted criminal? Murderer?
Vay'Leon - Master Mage, and Bounty Hunter, it seems? The name gives it away.
Talin - Master Theif, and immensly hawt female? This could give you trouble...
The White Pheonix - It seems he's dead! I wonder...

Last edited:

Endgame

Chapter Five - The Maw Opens

"I'm siiiiick of waaaalking..."

Raven had been vocally complaining of his fatigue for the better part of the last hour, and Vay'Leon was starting to tire. They'd only been walking for six hours. He was starting to wonder if he could just cut Raven out of the loop completly and leave his body under a rock out here somewhere.

"Quiet. Look. There's White Gold Tower. We're close."

"What, cos' you can see the tower?" Raven asked dryly, his throat already sore from complaining: "I can see that from Skingrad. Hell, they can see it all the way from Kavtch."

"You know..." Vay'leon observed: "For someone who uses such an acrobatic fighting style, you sure don't seem all that energetic..."

~

"So...you think we've been tricked?"

Talin had spent the last couple hours, as Vay'leon dragged Raven back to the Imperial City under the cover of night, deep in conversation with Dehsworn. For some reason, the Dark Elf had found this young Brenton to be...trustworthy, despite the fact that she'd just attempted to rob him. He'd even gone so far as to remove the dagger from her arm and heal the wound over. She'd detatched the upper sleeve of her glove to let him do so more easily, and now the somewhat artifical-looking new skin marking the location of the wound seemed to glow in the firelight. No wonder, there was still a fair amout of magic at work there. She'd consented to the healing without ever a whimper: Quite an achievement. Dehsworn had been forced to get his wounds healed, or do so himself, before, and it hurt like nothing else.

For some reason, he found his eyes drifting along the curve of her arm, rather then looking at the wound, and now realised he'd been staring at her arm for five minutes.

"Well...you say he wore a black cloak and hood. I'd like to think it's a Necromancer...you're absolutly sure he didn't have a red skull on his robe somewhere?"

Talin nodded, leaving only one other possibility. The man who had delived the 'information' on him had been a Dark Brotherhood member...a Speaker, no less. Only the Black Hand wore those robes.

He opened his mouth to confess his fears to Talin, but was cut off by a loud shout from outside. It was the middle of the night, what were people doing running around shouting at this time? Maybe they'd caught some thief.

Then again, another thief sat calmly across the table from him, drinking his wine.

A second shout cut across his thoughts...and a clash of metal on metal! What was going on out there?

Despite his better judgment, Dehsword crossed the room and flung the door open...to a scene from his darkest nightmares.

In the streets, the Imperial legion dashed back and forth, bodies lying here and there, having fallen from the walls. Beyond the confines of the city, a red glow emenated, and screams of battle could be heard. The Imperial City was under attack!

"What's going on?" Asked Talin, concerned. Dehsworn spun about and grabbed his Dai-Katana, leaving the other weapons he usually carried behind, he strode purposefully out the door, shooting one word over his shoulder at her.

"Daedra"

~

The sight that met Vay'leon and Raven as they reached the top of the last rise was no doubt an enthralling one. Before them lay the Imperial City, and, at the end of each of the bridges leading to it, a Gate to Oblivion had been torn open, flaming infernal portals to hell itself. One, in fact, lay just ahead of them.

"Huh...what's happening?" asked Raven, as Vay'leon drew the enchanted weapon he had used to kill the assassin back in Skingrad, his staff remaining slung across his back.

"Damnit...they should have closed them before it got this bad! This isn't right...well, I guess we'll do it!"

"Wait..." the Dunmer asked the glowering Altmer: "When you say we, you don't include me in that, do you? Because...there's only one way to close those things!" He stated, gesturing at one of the gates: "And there's no way I'm ever jumping into one of them! You can do what you want, but leave me out of it!"

"Oh...it's not that simple..." The High Elf grinned: "You see, if I were to enter one of those gates...I'd be in a very different place to you. So, the second I left the vicinity of the portal...that nasty little spell I cautioned you about would take effect. So, I'm afraid you don't have much of a choice. Follow me, and stand a chance of living...or stay here, and die for certain."

And with that, he drew back the sword, and charged down the embankment towards the Daedra guarding the gate.
-​

Looks like I'm too fast. No replies as of yet. Ah well.

I'm going to do something very special this chapter. I'm going to give you a teaser...no, a hint, at the ultimate destination of this roleplay. If you choose to pursue it, so be it. If you don't want spoilers, then don't. Those who actually read the books in Morrowind may have some idea of what it's about. Remember, if you figure it out...don't post it up here. Do feel free to PM your guesses to me, however.

Anyway. Here's your hint.

"Broken Dragon"​

Last edited:

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
x3 Cookies for Zetty! My character is awesome<3 This is a very good chapter(both of them). But you make me so darn curious D= I need to know what happens next.

Masquerade

Where's battlecry? :(
Website
www.facebook.com
Zets, why not beat Oblivion before getting ahead o' yourself? =P You could really tie in the story if you go through two particular guilds =/

Endgame

Zets, why not beat Oblivion before getting ahead o' yourself? =P You could really tie in the story if you go through two particular guilds =/

XD I have all but beaten it. 'cept the fighters guild. And I looked up the FG story online.

The Achievement isn't showing up 'cos I keep getting beaten down by Mehrunes Dagon. But I already watched the end on Youtube.

And while this happens at the same time as Oblivion, it only loosly follows the game, for example, the main character's role is shared between four characters at this stage.

You'll understand once it's finished. Or, if you work out my little hint. Remember..."Broken Dragon"

Endgame

Chapter Six: The Eye of the Storm

The Dremora let out a skin-peeling scream as thunder arced across it's body, filling the air with an acrid smoke, as it collapsed to the ground at Vay'Leon's feet. Having already removed his sword from it's chest, he quickly spun and sliced a second Dremora, bathing it in an electric blue, as it too, fell to the ground.

An arrow flitted past his ear to bury itself in the forehead of a Clanfear that had lept for the mage, as Raven advanced into the fray, firing left and right, each shot expertly taking out another enemy.

"I see you've decided to join me?" Vay'leon requested, as he drew himself up off the ground, having had to dispatch the two Dremora from a kneeling position. He cracked his neck, grinning wildy.

"It's better then exploding, isn't it now?" The archer noted, fitting another slew of arrows to his bow. He gave an unsure grin to the mage, and shot one off, picking out a Dremora that was ahead of the group charging up the hill towards them, ushing to defend the gate they'd taken. Vay'leon quickly counted, drawing a scroll from his robes: Seven or eight, he couldn't be sure. Still...this should deal with them.

"Get back..." he said coldly to Raven: "This might burn a little if you get too close."

And with that, the tore the scroll open, a burst of fire ripping from it's surface and into the group of Daedra, hitting a scamp in the very centre.

The Scamp detonated with such force that Vay'Leon was forced back a few steps, as a wall of flame tore from it's body, ripping through the others like tissue paper, and scattering their charred corpses across the area.

Ignoring the others closing in from their flanks, the two warriors, without a word, turned to one another, nodded...and lept into the burning, infernal portal before them.

~

Dehsworn and Talin stood less then a few miles from the struggle between the two their Daedra opponants, on the walls of be besieged city. Dehsworn, absorbed as he was with tearing his sword from the spine of a fallen Dremora, didn't notice the small flashes on the hill across the lake, right below the gate. Talin, on the other hand, was someone who paid a great attention to tiny details, and even as she saw them, her mind was processing what was happening: Someone, or something, was assaulting the gate!

She knew that these Gates could be closed from within, however, that involved braving the dremoric realms of Oblivion, in specifics, the burning wasteland that Mehrunes Dagon was using as a staging point for his assault on Tamriel. For such at attack to be successful, those atacking would need to fight their way through the armies that remained inside the gate.

So...they had to draw those armies out, and give the attackers a better chance of success!

"Dehsworn!" she shouted across the cries of battle, dashing across the narrow parparet to him: "We have to find the person in charge of this Legion!"

Understanding that there'd be no time for an explanation, and with a glance at the girl's strained expression, he nodded, and took off, the young woman in tow.

~

Meanwhile, amidst all this chaos, two figures stood upon a mountain above the basin in which the Imperial City lay, observing the chaos. One wore a black robe, and sat atop an equally black horse, while the second wore what appeared to be a modified, black Mithril curiass, along with the remainder of a suit of dark leather. This latter figure's face was obscured by shadow, but one thing could be seen: The strands of silver hair falling across his face.

"You think they'll hold out?" this young man asked, his voice low, yet confident.

"Can't be sure. They might luck out. In the end...it won't matter, so long as they can close the gate."

"What do ya' mean, it won't matter? The Daedra will overrun the City! From there, they've got a foothold in Cyrodiil!" The young man protested, but the black-robed assassin simply smiled, and drew back his hood, revealing a bald head, and cold, dark eyes.

"No..." he stated quite simply, with an air that he was not telling all he knew: "They'll close it. I'm sure of it."

Even as he spoke, the moon rose higher in the sky, throwing the slope behind them into light, and revealing almost twenty others, clad in black leather.

"And, even if They don't, We will." Lucien Lachance said, in an ominous tone, as the moon threw him into silhouette.​

Awards
I wanna go in the gate... -.- *feels despondent*

Well, of course, I could do better. Mmm. Definitely. Hell, I could do better right now. Mmm... but my back... it's been killing me lately. Yeah. Maybe tomorrow... >.>

...tch... alright, fine. It's good. There, I said it. But I could still do better. *disdainful sniff*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back