• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

COM Gameplay Appreciation thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

keybladeblue6

I've noticed that there is a lot of hate from the KH community in regards to the card gameplay in both versions of chain of memories. However the purpose of this thread is different.

I want all you to list and explain all the positive details about COM's gameplay in order to show how genius it really is.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I am appreciating all the threads countering negativity.

I won't go into great detail, but I do love that we have something different with this game. It introduced the first (and only) wildly different form of combat that we've seen in the series, and I, for one, appreciate the diversity.

While you're able to adjust your shortcuts and abilities outside of battle in most of the games, here you can arrange a dynamic deck to change your commands mid-battle instead of being forced to stick with the same 4-8 in the command deck or command menu. Don't get me wrong, I like KH's combat generally, but I like that this offered something fresh. It's still one of the best things about CoM/Re:CoM after all these years.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I love Chain of Memories' gameplay. It takes a while to get used to, but once you do it's practically addictive.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I really loved Re:CoM's 3D cutscenes. They gave everyone so much more character than the speech bubbles in the original. I don't mind the card system either. You could chain easy rooms for easy play and beating the game takes an average 20 hours. It was short, yet had interesting plot.

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I LOVED CoM! It's still my second favorite Kingdom Hearts game in the series.
1. The gameplay was pretty strategic & RPG like.
2. Riku's character development was really great. Plus, earned him a lot more fans after KH1.
3. Riku and Mickey's relationship is favorite in the series. Especially the part when Mickey always wanted to save Riku even after he is possessed by Ansem.
4. Larxene is the best female character in the series.
5. Axel's character was at his peak in this game.
6. I loved the foreshadowing for KH2 since it proved that at the time Nomura at the writing staff was actually planning the series ahead of time. Instead of making it up on the spot.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Played the GBA version and tbh I'm not really attracted to Re:CoM because I already find the GBA version so charming and well-made. I loved the gameplay, I loved the sprites, the animations were catchy and beautiful and I simply love pixel art in games, I'm oldschool like that
With Sora, I could pretty much build a nice strong deck for me to attack easily, quickly and with frequent cool sleights, so that I could almost reach a CoM equivalent of button-mashing. But my strongest and realest appreciation for CoM started with Reverse Rebirth, for many reasons, but for this thread I'll just mention the gameplay-related ones of course.
With Riku, you couldn't change your deck, couldn't change your cards, couldn't really "button-mash", and frankly couldn't really have an easy time. Every time you had to adapt to the given set of cards and see how you can work with those. Strangely enough I never used 0 cards with Sora, I just didn't feel the need nor cared for 0 cards during my first playthrough, but in Reverse Rebirth they were crucial and I couldn't thank the game enough if it gave me 0 cards in this or that world. The last Riku VS Repliku battle is a memory that still almost physically hurts me, back then it was such a tough battle for me, even tougher than Riku VS Ansem SoD. The Repliku battle taught me so much and part of my current gaming approach is a result of my experience with this difficult dynamic battle, since CoM was pretty much the first irl physical copy game I played which was mine and mine alone.

The difficulty with the cards is another story of "git gud". I loved every second of it.

Hakan Xatos

Awards
I don't really love these things in particular order, but here are what I loved most about CoM.

- The introduction of the Organization with more serious tones and actual demise of members.

- Axel's uncensored dialogue and Riku's savagery towards Repliku. (I love Re:CoM as well, but I miss the old script)

- Jiminy actually acting like part of the group. Besides Re:Coded he doesn't get many important lines.

- The card system required strategy and quick thinking with easy ways to string together different combos via the sleights.

- Beating Sora's story for the first time and seeing that Riku title card.

- Marluxia and Ansem SoD were both great antagonists.

- Zexion's battle in Re:CoM. I was so disappointed when it wasn't in CoM.

Many other things I could list, but this is definitely one of my favorite games.

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I don't really love these things in particular order, but here are what I loved most about CoM.

- The introduction of the Organization with more serious tones and actual demise of members.

- Axel's uncensored dialogue and Riku's savagery towards Repliku. (I love Re:CoM as well, but I miss the old script)

- Jiminy actually acting like part of the group. Besides Re:Coded he doesn't get many important lines.

- The card system required strategy and quick thinking with easy ways to string together different combos via the sleights.

- Beating Sora's story for the first time and seeing that Riku title card.

- Marluxia and Ansem SoD were both great antagonists.

- Zexion's battle in Re:CoM. I was so disappointed when it wasn't in CoM.

Many other things I could list, but this is definitely one of my favorite games.

YO! I forgot that Jiminy was actually part of the game's plot in CoM. Dang good job CoM. I think the only other game to do that would have been Coded.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Ugh, the GAMEPLAY! <3 <3 <3

I've always liked CoM for its gameplay; it was right after the first game, and it took these basic magic spells and hiked them up to eleven. On top of all of these new abilities that we were able to manage and create with our decks, we now also got Cloud as a summon and enemy cards that we could collect!

There are things wrong with it, don't misunderstand me, but I don't mind them too much. For example: the heartless cards are too frustrating and random to collect, the game can be pretty flat while you're grinding, and the bosses can sometimes be a little too much to handle unless you grind a whole lot and/or get stupidly lucky and actually figure out how Vexen operates (unlike me, who was very frustrated fighting him early on).

The gameplay was satisfying, the strategy element was engaging, and I loved breaking an enemies card and then pounding them with everything I had. It was well-balanced too; people forget that.

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
I LOVE the original gba CoM.

The sprites are too adorable. Honestly, whenever I do a play of the whole series I always go for the original.
That game was...ugh just so many fond memories of it. That was when the series kind of hiked the stakes up in my mind. People were getting flat out murdered and I was like staring slack-jawed at my screen in utter disbelief. I couldn't believe how good they made things look on the GBA. (dem brief cg movies on such a limited system, yo).
The gameplay itself was a lot of fun. I LOVED being able to actually choose what I got at level up, it made the strategy interesting, and arranging and refining my deck was a neat process. While Re:CoM had some good points in allowing some battles that weren't available before (Zexion...) honestly I think having the battle arena be 3D actually detracted a tiny bit from my enjoyment. Mostly because in the original while you COULD dodge roll away from an attack...it kinda was finicky at best and really hard to do. You really had to set up your deck right to break your opponents card. There were even some attacks that were flat out impossible to dodge in the original (looking at YOU Axel with your massive wall of flame) that you HAD to break or you were getting blasted in the face. In Re:CoM, unfortunately, you can dodge those same attacks easily without using cards.
Card Duels were...alright. But way too easy to cheese.
And can we talk a little bit about Riku vs Repliku's final fight? I SWEAR that is the hardest fight in the series for me (in the original, again, because Re:CoM gimped it a little bit). Half the time I get confused about which one I am, healing is...not really a thing, you get stuck with some crap cards and he has every ability you do. Oh but it's a fun challenge.
I get very sad when people dis the battle system in CoM because I think it's really unique and fun. Sure, it isn't like the other KH games but...I think it works well for what it is.

My main gripes with the game are kinda how...flat the worlds are. And I get it, limited space. But it feels pretty lonely sometimes when grinding because it's just endless rooms and heartless with nothing much beyond that. No real world exploration, basically just trying to get through it to the cut scenes.

I LOVED having Jiminy be a character that was actually interacting with everyone (please bring that back...)
Being a huge SoraxKairi fan the game also did me a lot of great fan service so that was wonderful.
It was a solid, solid sequel that expanded on the characters and gave a bit more depth to all of them while at the same time leaving a lot of mystery about what was to come.

Anyone who went from KH1 to KH2 really missed out. While KH1 obviously made me a fan, CoM ensured to me at least that I was in deep with this series now and I was gonna follow it to the end.

Again, I only wish the actual "worlds" had more to do than run around and get into battles, smash things for moogle points and spam reset the system to get the best freebie cards from the moogle shop before finally getting a good deck and then running to all the cut scene doors and beating up a boss before leaving.
(I get it was due to the system limitations, but still...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back