• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Comics ► Comic Books & Graphic Novels

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxie1563

Actress/Healer in Persona: Icebound
Awards
So, I picked up DC Universe: Rebirth Deluxe Edition today and man, what a read it was! Now I kinda wish I knew which one actually set up for what's next..

Roxie1563

Awards
Just a little update on my journey to being part of Rebirth! Recently, I took a trip to my local store after checking out which one had the most impact in DC Universe Rebirth and that was Titans. I forgot The Flash would be a big part of it, but didn't want to shell out more money that I had initially. Next time I'll pick that up!

Anyway, I was able to pick up Titans Volume One: The Return of Wally West and Aquaman Volume One: The Drowning and Volume Two: Black Manta Rising. I knew from the ending of Titans that this one would be the best course to follow regarding the whole Watchmen vs DC Universe as well The Flash.. Possibly Batman and Superman if I am led to believe that.

While I'm sure I'll get flack for following Aquaman, I thought him to be quite similar to me since we're outsiders except I'm not a King/Queen of an underwater kingdom. :3 That and his stories are interesting, at least to me. Though I've never got to check out Geoff Johns' Aquaman runs, I'm liking where Dan is taking him so that's something to see through.

Does anyone else suggest to me where else I can follow the thread?

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Does anyone else suggest to me where else I can follow the thread?
The Superman books (Action Comics & Superman) have stuff relating to Rebirth in them, in particular a story called Superman Reborn. The first arc of Detective Comics has a Rebirth connection. And The Flash and Batman had a recent Rebirth-centered crossover called "The Button." Those are about it off the top of my head. ]

Roxie1563

Awards
The Superman books (Action Comics & Superman) have stuff relating to Rebirth in them, in particular a story called Superman Reborn. The first arc of Detective Comics has a Rebirth connection. And The Flash and Batman had a recent Rebirth-centered crossover called "The Button." Those are about it off the top of my head. ]

Thank you so much, Mite! :D

I can feel my purse/wallet getting lighter every time I buy something related to Rebirth. xD But thank you for the information! Now, I know what to pick up the next time I go to my local store.

Awards
Is anyone deep into marvel and can comics?

Recently I have go into marvel and dc recently.

I know of these characters in marvel:

Protege

the beyonder

beyonder race

the living tribuinal

heart of the universe thanos

stranger

inbetweener

D.C. :
The writer

the prescene

micheal deurmigos

lucifer morning star

jonathan kent

one million superman(& prime superman)

cosmic armour superman

archangels

the endless

those are all the characters I mentioned. So if your deep into marvel and dc can help me understand it, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
@masteroflostrain, I think you're going to have to be more specific about what you want to know. Just throwing out a list of random characters doesn't really help.

Are you looking for a good jumping-on point to start reading comics month-to-month?
Do you just want to read some good graphic novel stories of some characters you're interested in knowing about?

Stuff like that. Comics are decades old and there are more stories that you could dive into than you could imagine, which is why just saying "tell me everything about them" is a nearly impossible thing to do.

Last edited:
Awards
Sorry about that. I didn't know how to ask. But I'm trying to get into the depth of story of certain individuals in comics. Currently I'm trying the limited secret wars comics (1&2). I have also been looking at important events and characters. Like how currently dr manhatten is changing timelines across the multiverse, and how the beyonder(from marvel) found the marvel multiverse with a misshapen by Owen Reece(Earth 616 I think). How God doom used Molecule Man(also Owen Reece) to get powerful. The storyline of the archangels(the 7 angels I think), and how Michael Deurmigos death can kill all life in the multiverse(I think).

Basically I'm trying to read info on certain characters, important events, and how powerful certain individuals are. Right now I'm trying to a graphic novel of all star batman. All I'm trying to do is recognize the important of Marvel and DC(excluding the Marvel/DC crossover). I'm willing to pay and read comics. Also, I'm trying to find a comic based on the infinity embassy(Marvel), so tell me what issues are there so I can get a better understanding.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Sorry about that. I didn't know how to ask. But I'm trying to get into the depth of story of certain individuals in comics. Currently I'm trying the limited secret wars comics (1&2). I have also been looking at important events and characters. Like how currently dr manhatten is changing timelines across the multiverse, and how the beyonder(from marvel) found the marvel multiverse with a misshapen by Owen Reece(Earth 616 I think). How God doom used Molecule Man(also Owen Reece) to get powerful. The storyline of the archangels(the 7 angels I think), and how Michael Deurmigos death can kill all life in the multiverse(I think).

Basically I'm trying to read info on certain characters, important events, and how powerful certain individuals are. Right now I'm trying to a graphic novel of all star batman. All I'm trying to do is recognize the important of Marvel and DC(excluding the Marvel/DC crossover). I'm willing to pay and read comics. Also, I'm trying to find a comic based on the infinity embassy(Marvel), so tell me what issues are there so I can get a better understanding.
So it seems you mainly want to read about important event comics and certain characters.

I can't help you with Marvel because I don't read any from them (outside of the Star Wars comics). As for DC, the big company-wide-events would be things like 'Crisis on Infinite Earths,' 'Infinite Crisis,' 'Final Crisis,' 'Flashpoint,' 'Multiversity.' Stuff like that.

It's hard to really recommend individual issues because they can be hard to come by unless they're available on Comixology. So if you want to know more about specific characters then I'd say check out a wiki for DC and Marvel characters, or google graphic novel suggestions for specific characters you want to know about and see if those are available. Reading the big events through the novels would be better than looking for individual issues too.

Awards
So it seems you mainly want to read about important event comics and certain characters.

I can't help you with Marvel because I don't read any from them (outside of the Star Wars comics). As for DC, the big company-wide-events would be things like 'Crisis on Infinite Earths,' 'Infinite Crisis,' 'Final Crisis,' 'Flashpoint,' 'Multiversity.' Stuff like that.

It's hard to really recommend individual issues because they can be hard to come by unless they're available on Comixology. So if you want to know more about specific characters then I'd say check out a wiki for DC and Marvel characters, or google graphic novel suggestions for specific characters you want to know about and see if those are available. Reading the big events through the novels would be better than looking for individual issues too.
Thanks for the advice, and I'm trying to buy the multiverse you book. Mostly because the black superb is the leader, XD

Last edited:

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
So, over the last few years I've been really getting into comics, but mostly from Marvel and DC with a few exceptions. I was wondering if anyone had any indie/other publisher recommendations for comics that aren't superhero-based (though I will still take the suggestion of they ARE superhero-based), and also aren't Saga because I've already had that recommended like a thousand times over and will eventually be reading that, lol.

I'm pretty open to trying just about any other genre outside of superheroes in graphics too, so that won't hamper the suggestions, though I will say the more queer it is, the better (but not required at the moment).

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
So, over the last few years I've been really getting into comics, but mostly from Marvel and DC with a few exceptions. I was wondering if anyone had any indie/other publisher recommendations for comics that aren't superhero-based (though I will still take the suggestion of they ARE superhero-based), and also aren't Saga because I've already had that recommended like a thousand times over and will eventually be reading that, lol.

I'm pretty open to trying just about any other genre outside of superheroes in graphics too, so that won't hamper the suggestions, though I will say the more queer it is, the better (but not required at the moment).
I don't read a whole lot of indie titles, but one I absolutely would recommend if you haven't read it before is Atomic Robo. In it you follow a self-aware robot, named Robo, through his many adventures from the early 1920s, to punching Nazis in WW2, present-day adventures and more. IDW handles the graphic novel publications, while the whole series should be on the creator's website, or should be on Comixology.

As a side thing: i've really been enjoying the flashback story that Tom King's been doing in Batman this past month 'The War of Jokes and Riddles.' This week was the first interlude issue of that story, and holy cow, he made this obscure, comic-relief villain actually really interesting and i loved it. Like, I didn't think i'd like Kite Man as much as I do now, but dang.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
I know this thread has been dead for a long while, but I thought I'd at least mark that yesterday was Superman's big 80th anniversary, and the release of Action Comics #1000.

(Not to diminish the achievement, but they totally cheated when they started double-shipping the title a couple of years ago.)

Overall #1000 is a good mixed-bag of something-for-everyone in terms of the different Superman stories in it: paying homage to 80 years of Big Blue and his various costumes and adventures and such. For my money Tom King had the best short story in the issue, looking at a Superman billions of years in the future and broke the mold more than the other stories; along with some really good ones by Geoff Johns and the team of Peter J Tomasi and Patrick Gleason.

This was also the big introduction to Brian Michael Bendis' post-Marvel career at DC writing the Superman titles. His story was... okay. For a big introduction to his upcoming run there really wasn't anything that made it stand out from other Superman stories done in a similar vein in the past. I'm still interested in seeing what he does with the character, and hopefully his run will stand out more once we actually get into it.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Oh hecks no! Nerd culture x Literacy will not die on my watch! What are your latest comic hauls, my friends?

Mine are:

Mockingbird | Marvel - Read both of these short-lived volumes back to back. Chelsea Cain is the feminist warrior #comicsgate needs right now. Oh, btw it has Mer-corgis in it. Yes, you heard me.

Black Cloud | Image - It's an intriguing slow burn, this first trade. Our lead breaks free from the utopian illusion her society has been living in, trading it for truth - and a life on the streets.

Sailor Moon [Eternal Edition] | Kodansha - This re-release (the 3rd release that came out for its 20th anniversary) is gorgeous and even larger than the kaizoban release Japan had, cuz America, but I'll take it! I didn't pick up the 2011 American rerelease, because it got ripped to shreds on the re-translation efforts. It seems they put more TLC in this one.

^lots of girl power here

D

Deleted member 246005

I usually buy comics on the Comixology app on my phone. I tend to read Marvel or DC but I'm trying more creator-owned stuff more and more.

I usually just buy the trades when they are on sale because it's more for less.

Last edited by a moderator:

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I usually buy comics on the Comixology app on my phone. I tend to read Marvel or DC but I'm trying more creator-owned stuff more and more.

I usually just by the trades when they are on sale because it's more for less.

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad is on Comixology, they're finally finishing it since Tokyopop only translated a third of it before. And It's free to read for Prime, so I'm a super happy camper with them

Lonbilly

Awards
So did anyone else read the Bat Dick comic.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I bought Marvel Unlimited since August and it's been such a worthwhile investment, I've been able to read.on Captain Marvel and The Eternals before their movies come out. The interface for the application can be really awkward though...

D

Deleted member 246005

So did anyone else read the Bat Dick comic.

Yep its a decent book otherwise. Batman tries to investigate the Jokers murder but unsure if he did it. The Justice League Dark guest star in the issue.

Lonbilly

Awards
Yep its a decent book otherwise. Batman tries to investigate the Jokers murder but unsure if he did it. The Justice League Dark guest star in the issue.

I enjoyed it as well. Supernatural horror + Batman is something I didn't know I needed but I'm glad for it nonetheless. Plus I'm a sucker for them including Everybody's Favorite Bisexual as the second main character. Now just make them bang on page DC it's a mature label for a reason take advantage of it. The fact that it's an out-of-continuity story really has me intrigued since it can pretty much do whatever it wants now, especially with the pretense of being an 18+ comic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back