• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Comparing CoM and Re:CoM

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
I've noticed that magics have more of an advantage in ReCoM than CoM. Especially Fire magic for instance, it homes into your enemy more successfully because of the 3D environments.

Hooserdaddy45

Well I like Com for nostalgia, it was just crazy playing it after kh because of how different it was. Also it feels more rpg like to me haha, but re:com makes the story easier to follow... But gameplay was more fun in com... But cutscenes and voice acting in re:com... I like com better I think...hahah

Gram

Banned
Awards
I prefer Re:CoM for the graphics and the joker card. That card is such a life saver ;A;
I still think com was harder though and I like the dialogue better in some parts.

Awards
Re:Chain of Memories completely rewrote the dialogue during the scene where Riku is confronting Zexion. This wouldn't be such a big deal if it were not for the fact that in Days, it flashes back to that particular moment and they use the dialogue from the GBA version.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Probably not since there was several small changes to dialogue, like Axel saying hell in the gba version but now re:com or how they changed his lines in his first appearance.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I thing I like about Re: CoM is that it was easier, so I was actually able to finish it. Also, since it's on a TV my family was able to watch.
I don't think theres anything I like more in the original CoM than the Re-release, except that it was my first Kingdom Hearts game so it has a special place in my heart.

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards
^ The lack in difficulty was a god send during those later repliku battles. Dx

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Probably not since there was several small changes to dialogue, like Axel saying hell in the gba version but now re:com or how they changed his lines in his first appearance.

They didn't reanimate the mouths in Re:Chain of Memories, so they had to change the translations in order to provide a smoother dub.

Gram

Banned
Awards
They didn't reanimate the mouths in Re:Chain of Memories, so they had to change the translations in order to provide a smoother dub.

They didn't do to well then cause the mouths still dont sync good.

Ventus_

Awards
Well speaking as someone who originally played it on the GBA (Had no idea there was a PS2 release until just a few days ago when I accidentally spotted it on Amazon), I like it on the bigger screen better. It's difficult to judge perception on the GBA, where you are on the screen in relation to the foe.

I however despite having little memory of the battles in GBA have been noticing that some are easier there than in Re:CoM. Vexen for example. I have said this in other threads but I just defeated him on the first go on the GBA because all he did basically was just float around. Occasionally he'd trap you in a block of ice but it wasn't damaging whereas he smashes the block and launches a bunch of insane ice attacks in Re. He's relentless.
Malificent Dragon was also slightly harder, towards the end when she douses the entire room in an endless fire. That nearly took me out with no trick cards to use. I'd claimed victory with a sliver of HP to spare. That ending was not there on the GBA. Don't know why I had trouble with her on the GBA. Or had I even tried yet? I don't even remember for sure.

Those are the only GBA battles in my memory as they were recent but playing it now on Re I understand the cards slightly more now but it hasn't helped. I still remain terrible at sleights but I am beginning to try my best at it. It's difficult to assemble them.

Overall I am not the hugest fan of CoM in general regardless of console played on because the card system in areas frustrates me greatly with how limiting it is but I am enjoying it for the most part.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Those are the only GBA battles in my memory as they were recent but playing it now on Re I understand the cards slightly more now but it hasn't helped. I still remain terrible at sleights but I am beginning to try my best at it. It's difficult to assemble them.

I never bothered with sleights in the original CoM, and don't see why anyone would have to. You can get by perfectly fine by just putting high level cards and putting in a few zeros to break boss sleights. that's how i played and every boss was a fairly simple affair.

Ventus_

Awards
I never bothered with sleights in the original CoM, and don't see why anyone would have to. You can get by perfectly fine by just putting high level cards and putting in a few zeros to break boss sleights. that's how i played and every boss was a fairly simple affair.

Which is why Re: is more challenging, the bosses are more difficult now so sleights are actually useful. They've been frequently suggested to me anyway, but I have no skill in performing them.

EDIT: (March 1)
So I got my hair colored and cut today and so since I had to spend time sitting around with the stuff in my hair I decided to abuse some heartless in Twilight Town on my GBA. I discovered how aiming your attacks is more difficult on the GBA. You know how in FM, both KH and CoM your keyblade automatically targets the nearest foe? Not so on the GBA, fire is an attack in particular that aims poorly and can't be done while jumping. Then there is that perception thing again.

Last edited:

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
For me, Re: Chain of Memories is the better and more enjoyable experience overall, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a bit of a soft spot for the GBA version. The dialogue from what I remember was infinitely better in several aspects. Not counting the blatantly obvious "You better give me one hell of a show!" bit, there was one bit of dialogue in particular that I thought was handled. I somewhat committed it to memory (HA, see what I did there) and it went something like this:

*Vexen receives a card from Axel*

Axel: Now you can't tell me I don't tell me I don't respect my elders!

He says this with his face exuding a ****-eating grin on his face looking (and I'd imagine sounding) like a total badass. In the port, it was simply changed to him "humbly giving a gift to his elder."

Also, I appreciated the fact that the dialogue sequences had facial animations in the GBA version. In the PS2 port, the cutscenes had some facial expressions (though with some really bad cases of fish face going around), but the unvoiced dialogue segments were devoid of them and felt even more like filler than in the GBA version.

However, in regards to what I enjoyed in Re: CoM, there is plenty to choose from: sleights being more useful, Zexion actually being a boss for Riku's story, Marluxia's third form, the alterations made to the Riku vs. Lexeaus fight, updated graphics, etc.

Also, I swear certain bosses are harder in Re: CoM than in the original...assuming you're not abusing sleights (and even if you are). Both Cloud and Vexen seem to hit harder, Axel and Larxene warp around more, and the Parasite Cage's acid seems to drain away more health. Granted, I'm playing this on Proud Mode so I'm expecting a harder game, but it still throws me for a loop considering how the rest seemed dumbed down, even on Proud Mode.

And of course, the Trickmaster is a pain as Riku no matter what version you're playing...

As for things that I wanted in the port from I.5, I kind of wished that they bothered using the orchestrated versions of all the themes from I instead of simply using the MIDI files for nearly all but the final boss. I also wished that certain musical tracks played for situations. "Organization XIII" could have played in a couple of spots, "The Thirteenth Dilemma" being used for the Lexeaus and Zexion battles, and the Kingdom Hearts II rendition of "The Thirteenth Struggle" to have been used during the final Axel fight.

Also, as mentioned in this thread, the rest of my thoughts regarding a data version of Vanitas...

RoXi

^ The lack in difficulty was a god send during those later repliku battles. Dx

couldn't agree more. the final battle versus Repliku in CoM was beyond hard

Also, I didn't like finding out in Re:CoM that Marluxia is pronounced "mar-LOOSH-a"

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I hated learning that's how it's pronounced, too. I always pronounced it: mar-loo-xee-uh

Tbh, I prefer the original, I just hate playing on small consoles so I end up playing Re:CoM more often. The art in the original game was really nice; liked having sprites. Plus, the GBA always felt more difficult to me? Which was a plus. The only good thing about Re:CoM was getting to hear the voice acting (although sometimes not having voices can make the characters sound cooler; Vexen's voice actor made him sound really lame).

fangsora

you know how in some games you can fell the damage that your doing to the boss re:com dose a good job at that.com is more glitch and riku's game play is much beater in re:com with the reaction commands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back