• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Comptuer Won't Turn on At all

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

tidusora

Yunakairi
Awards
Lately, I've been getting computer problems, as in October, I had some problems, but I fixed it.

I'm not on my laptop, which is the source of my problem.

I have a Gateway Laptop, with Windows XP and a sufficient amount of Ram.

I've had this Laptop for 11 months already.

Today, all of a sudden, the computer's monitor turned pitch black, but the computer was still running.

Then, when I shut it down, the button way.

All of a sudden, the buttons aren't lighting up and my computer refuses to turn on, except for this one time, after I turned the button of first. I turned it on, and the fan moved for a little while, and it just stopped.

What do I do?

By the way, the fan in the computer is clean.

(It all started with the monitor going off, and went from worse, there on.)

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
Is the battery charged?

Thought I'd ask, you'd be surprised. Use your fancy warranty and send it back to them to fix it. If you have no warranty, than take it to your local computer store (Note, a computer store, not some store that sells all electronics including computers - ie Best Buy for Curcuit City) and have them look at it. If the warranty's up, or non-existant, won't matter if they open it.

Azurith

Awards
Angels of darkness tread softly in the light.
Exactly, BB.

If youre machine is under warranty at all, and it isn't a problem with your OS/software... just send the machine back to the company and have them trouble shoot it for you. You'll be out of the laptop for a few weeks or so. But it's alot easier to deal with.

My laptop is still under Warranty/TheftProtection for another 6-9 months. w00t.

~~Azurith

tidusora

Yunakairi
Awards
Alright, unfortunately, I did not take BB's advice.

I did take it to Best Buy, but luckily the Best Buy that I went to has a Geek Squad, don't know if that's any good. They're going to attempt to fix it, for 100$ - 200$, and will get it returned by November 13th or the 14th, luckily.

My computer's warranty runs out until 2008, which is good, right?

Thing's that worrying me though, is I have a lot of MP3s, anime episodes, and such. Not getting worried if it's deleted, worried if it's going to get me in trouble.

Azurith

Awards
Angels of darkness tread softly in the light.
Alright, unfortunately, I did not take BB's advice.

I did take it to Best Buy, but luckily the Best Buy that I went to has a Geek Squad, don't know if that's any good. They're going to attempt to fix it, for 100$ - 200$, and will get it returned by November 13th or the 14th, luckily.

My computer's warranty runs out until 2008, which is good, right?

Thing's that worrying me though, is I have a lot of MP3s, anime episodes, and such. Not getting worried if it's deleted, worried if it's going to get me in trouble.

Most computer techs could care less what you had on your machine.

Really the only way you'd get in trouble is if you had 'extremely inappropriate materials' on your machine. They really aren't going to care if you have 2k+ *mp3 songs illegally downloaded. They can't legally do anything about it. They could even care less about the anime stuff.

No, the stuff that would get you in trouble would include:

'How to' guides for weaponry, including Bombs and/or nuclear devices.
'inappropriate' pron materials.. (I think you understand the jest.)
...and similar stuff.

They aren't going to call the local FBI office and report that you have 50-70 MP3 songs, that's now their job.
They are supposed to fix your machine any way possilbe, with minimal dataloss. That's the ultimate purpose of any techy. Obviously, if you had child pron or a 'how to' guide for pipebombs, etc. they WOULD get in touch with the local law inforcement about the matter. Thing is, I really don't think you would be the type to posess such materials. (And if you do, then.. that's your problem.)

But to be honest, you have a 0% chance of them saying anything about some music and/or video files.

~~Azurith

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
Only reason I suggested not to go to a place like Best Buy, is I've had to many horrible experiences (and those I know). My sister bought a laptop from there, and it broke after a week. We took it back... long story short, it's been 3 months and we've yet to see it, a refund or a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back