• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Conventions to recommend (or not recommend)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagayaki

Awards
For some odd reason, I'm still into cosplay despite my lack of skill level and courage. I swore off Anime Central six years ago because every single person laughed at me when I tried to refute Trevor Muller for his immature and unprofessional behavior at one of his panels. I don't care how much the fandom is hated, or how many flames you get. You first of all, READ THE SOURCE MATERIAL, and secondly, don't gratuitously scapegoat or stereotype the people who are into it just to get the crowd riled up. Needless to say, I won't be reading any of his shitty comics. What a guest of dishonor. The environment of ACen in general is filled with snobbery and schaudenfreude. The only reason why it survives now is because of the rave. No relevant industry guests go there anymore, just DJs. And raves invite drunk, creepy people.

And even though I had a better time at Anime Midwest, I won't be going there or Con + Alt + Delete or any other conventions run by Ryan Kopf. He's like the Donald Trump of convention owners. That guy has a terrible reputation and his criminal record has probably increased to this day, but he keeps on covering it up. Don't believe me? Just look here. Ryan Kopf | Nerd & Tie There are plenty of other sources, but this one is the most recent.

And Kollision Con is in the same exact place, but more boring, disorganized, run by a douchebag, and they screwed up my panel description.

Why are all the conventions in my home state run by such arrogant morons?

I wanted to go to Tekko because of their attractive anti-bullying/anti-harassment policy, and their Lolita events, but that's out. It's all the way in Pittsburgh. I can't save up $90 each month right now and stay there comfortably.

So, which conventions would you personally recommend, or not reccommend? I prefer small environments to huge conventions. Hopefully with a good community with as little snobbery as possible. I don't care how far I have to travel. As long as I can save up $90 from December every month and stay comfortably, I'm fine. Also, I'm usually alone when I go.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'd recommend Anime Milwaukee. It's always run very well, cohesively, I love the space they utilize.

Geek.Kon is usually up on my list but rn the staff seems to be eating itself but I had fun this year regardless. I'm keeping an eye on it because it's kind of my main con.

If you can somehow get out to Boston, Anime Boston was *amazing* when I went. It's about as big people wise as ACen but THE SPACE IS ***HUGE*** IN COMPARISON IT'S SO GREAT. Like you don't feel crowded and stuff. There's so much room for activities. D:

I hear good things about Youmacon but I haven't personally gone so take that as you will. Daishocon I also hear is fun if you like water but I also haven't went to that.

So yeah that's my list.

I've been to Kollision back when it was at Pheasant Run because I'm SUPER close to there but haven't since they moved.

Wintertide

Sp00ky GuRl
Awards
I had a good time at the Long Beach Comic Con and Los Angeles Comic Con. Was pretty clean, huge, plenty of booths with actual good art and V.A.'s. Best of all, everyone was generally nice and respectful. I don't think Stan Lee is going to be at the current one this year, but hey, you're in L.A. and there is a loooooooooottt to do like Little Tokyo or Griffith Park or the bazillions of museams and beaches nearby all within an hour drive if you leave early enough. DO NOT GO TO SKID ROW OMFG DONT. DONT EVEN SET FOOT NEAR IT! BRING THAT GPS OUT OH LORD NOOOO.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I'll talk to my brother to be sure, but the ones he goes to here are Anime Weekend Atlanta, Momocon, and the Southern Fried Gameroom Expo. (He skipped AWA last year) I assume from that they are good, but one warning; since they cost money and they are expensive last second, plan way ahead and get your tickets a year in advance.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
Personally I have only been to really big ones like NYCC and E3.
I've been looking forward to checking out these
- Momocon
- SDCC
- SXSW
- PAX East and West
- Gamescon
- TGS
- GX
- Dragon-Con

Kagayaki

Awards
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I know I said that I didn’t care how far I had to travel to get away from ACen and Anime Midwest, but...actually, I do. Especially because travel and hotel expenses are the vast majority of my convention budget. That’s not even including food or cosplay. I had an ordeal with accidentally driving to Kenosha after getting lost trying to get to an unfamiliar place, so I really don’t want to drive myself. So, my best options are by flying Southwest (which sucks and I heard their service is terrible), or by Amtrak.

So, the best conventions I can realistically go to for now are Youmacon (next year; it’s too late to go this year), and Matsuricon. I’ve heard mixed reviews about Youmacon, but I’ve heard mostly good things from the facebook page and vlogs about Matsuricon. But I have negative infinity social skills and I’ll be traveling alone. I hope that a repeat of Acen or Bishie con doesn’t happen.

Right now, because I have a low income, and I don’t really have a ‘purpose’ to go to conventions (like artists alley or being a panelist or guest of honor) I can only go to one convention a year—if I’m lucky. So I make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back